Why are my plugs all different colours?
I run fuel octane booster and injector cleaner on a six monthly basis just to be sure. Have done this on all my bikes since they started to put ethylene in the fuel.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast
any1 who tells you 98 is crap has no idea. nothing wrong with shell fuel either, some people should keep there mouth's shut on subjects they have no idea about.my 2c worth
pink pantys 4 every one .see you in hell bitches
Just did a compression test.

Starting from left to right according to the picture:
207PSI
205PSI
190PSI
200PSI
This is a discussion forum and as such every one is entitled to their opinion. Can I suggest that you back up a little and discuss rather than pontificate?
Good weather, good woman, good road, good bike, good-bye!!
id like to know what some people think the advantages are of using a higher octane fuel on an internal combustion engine that has not been tuned to gain anything from it, i run my gen1 on united 95 ethanol blend, coz its cheap, doesnt run any better or worse, infact iv found i can run a tad more timing, running the blended fuel over any of the top brand 98's around

and yes my findings have all been on dyno with logging of afr's and such
those plugs are way rich,
if the air cleaner is cleaned and theres no restrictions/blockages
anywhere in the air box and the injectors are fine
then you'll probably need to adjust your fuel maps.
maybe give it a dyno.
(17-12-2012, 03:59pm)pete Wrote: those plugs are way rich,
maybe give it a dyno.

Its actually booked in for a PC V in the next few weeks but wanted to sort out this problem first.

It definately has a problem if the richness is getting worse over time. Tuning would be a waste of time until its fixed. The tune will just go out of whack again.

(17-12-2012, 12:41pm)mechanx Wrote: any1 who tells you 98 is crap has no idea. nothing wrong with shell fuel either, some people should keep there mouth's shut on subjects they have no idea about.my 2c worth
you really should ,actually extract your head from your anus ,you know everything ,il call you god ,with the amount of research ive done on the fuel after the death of a really well serviced engine,tells me that you know everything ,nice to see your as rude as you are talented!lIdiot2

the thing is ,your bulling style of mentality cost me an engine
on a ride a little while ago a fellas bike kept on burning out plugs,like every 80k,i told him irridium plugs and 95 ,bike hasnt missed a beat in 1 year, another mate has a 1983 katana ,and on that forum ,oh man you need to run 98 ,well lets say his 11oo ,is only running on 3x now bc of advice like you force at people ,,cmon mate ,98 is a thicker based fuel designed to dumb down an engine to burn slower to get you further ,yup i know zip ,e10 is only a blend it wil clean deposits out of your valve train and for drawing is moisture ,all fuels draw in moisture,personal experience ,i by mistake put 98 shell in my busa at khankoban ,cost me $3k for a new motor ,so dont try and preach to me inre-gard to the goodness of 98,BEEN THERE DONE THAT LISTENED TO BLOKES LIkE YOU BEFORE ,AND ITS COST ME ,FIND A HOLE AND FALL INTO IT1
Now now girls settle down and get a room Pi_tongue. I run BP 98 octane and have done since it was brought in, both bike and cage. I drive and ride like I stole it and have never had any problems and I am happy to pay more for itScary. i must be crazyIdiot2.
BUSA there is no Substitute
i dont hold hate or a passion to stop people using the fuel they want, but it gets my back up when im told ,i know nothing, im a mechanic, and have personal experience of a petrol proven problem ,sorry for coming off so hard
i wouldnt say dont run 98, ill just say stock for stock there are no real world advantages unless tuned to use the advantage, then its a whole different story
(17-12-2012, 10:38pm)revhead Wrote: i dont hold hate or a passion to stop people using the fuel they want, but it gets my back up when im told ,i know nothing, im a mechanic, and have personal experience of a petrol proven problem ,sorry for coming off so hard

You are a mechanic ??? Looks to me like more of a self-opnionated ignorant that has no first clue about engines nor fuels. It must be first case in the world that the 98 octane fuel killed a correctly set up motor Lol3 Surely the Power Commander will fix it for you Idiot2
"It definately has a problem if the richness is getting worse over time. Tuning would be a waste of time until its fixed. The tune will just go out of whack again". What a pearls of wisdom we got here!!
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
(17-12-2012, 06:05pm)IBLOWN Wrote:
maybe give it a dyno.

Its actually booked in for a PC V in the next few weeks but wanted to sort out this problem first.

It definately has a problem if the richness is getting worse over time. Tuning would be a waste of time until its fixed. The tune will just go out of whack again.

i dont wanna get caught up in any of the crap thats going on,
just had a cpl of thoughts

the other thing ive seen that can cause the plugs to foul can be
the coils, are they getting full voltage?
i thought i read where u stated the bike was running fine, i could be wrong, what makes u think its getting worse?
unless u had the plugs out prior and they looked fine you wouldnt really know unless the bike was losing power.
also once the plugs start fouling it will make the engine run worse eventually anyway, the plugs dont self clean once they start
fouling up, so maybe once u get the pcv put on and sorted ull probably find itll fix ur problems.

if u think the fuels could be causing the problems clean/replace ur plugs and fill with different grade fuel run the tank and
pull the plugs again and compare.

just saying.

(16-12-2012, 01:54pm)IBLOWN Wrote: Its actually getting a power commander V in a few weeks at C&M Motorcycles, but i need to sort this problem out first. Tuning it may fix it but theres definately a problem. Dont want to tune it then later down the track the tune goes out of wack lol.

Your photo looks like a 2005 model ???
So do you need a power commander? It was my understanding you could flash the original ECU for the same results. What's the benefits of a power commander?
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
(17-12-2012, 09:00am)Axe Wrote: I've got an injector cleaner if you want to send them to me? can test and clean them out and send them straight back to you.
Your bike dosnt have an o2 sensor does it?

If no o2, vac lines are all clear, then I would be looking at injectors.

(18-12-2012, 12:11am)pete Wrote:
(17-12-2012, 06:05pm)IBLOWN Wrote:
maybe give it a dyno.

i dont wanna get caught up in any of the crap thats going on,
just had a cpl of thoughts

the other thing ive seen that can cause the plugs to foul can be
the coils, are they getting full voltage?
i thought i read where u stated the bike was running fine, i could be wrong, what makes u think its getting worse?
unless u had the plugs out prior and they looked fine you wouldnt really know unless the bike was losing power.
also once the plugs start fouling it will make the engine run worse eventually anyway, the plugs dont self clean once they start
fouling up, so maybe once u get the pcv put on and sorted ull probably find itll fix ur problems.

if u think the fuels could be causing the problems clean/replace ur plugs and fill with different grade fuel run the tank and
pull the plugs again and compare.

just saying.

I havent checked the coils voltage yet. I check their resistance and theyre fine. I'll check the voltage soon.

You could have a point there about the plugs building up with crap. Its getting worse because i can smell the exhaust more and its now burning my eyes. My trip computer is also showing this.