Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED
Why are my plugs all different colours? - Printable Version

+- Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Bike Discussions (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Thread: Why are my plugs all different colours? (/showthread.php?tid=19761)

Pages: 1 2 3

Why are my plugs all different colours? - IBLOWN - 16-12-2012

Pulled the plugs today.

All different colours.

Bike smells rich, 25-30MPG/10-12 KM/L.

Runs flawlessly.

I had a bike shop change the plugs, T/B's synced (Supposedly), valve clearances checked (Supposedly). All these were done at the same time.

Bike smelled rich before the tune-up but is slowly getting worse. Was running 14.3KM/L, is now 11...

FI light has never come on.

K5, Yoshi RS3 slip-ons, K&N, NO Power commander, 98RON fuel, 27,000KMS.

Any ideas?

[Image: IMG_0867_zps9038e0ea.jpg]

[Image: Gooden.jpg]

RE: Why are my plugs all different colours? - mechanx - 16-12-2012

maybe start with an injector clean. check vacuum lines .

RE: Why are my plugs all different colours? - Ward P - 16-12-2012

you should be getting around 18-20litres per 100km if you're light cruising.
Even really flogging it high in the revs on a track day mine doesn't drop blow 14.

. . . You didn't let Corbin didn't tune it did you?? Lol2 Wm

RE: Why are my plugs all different colours? - 06BUSA - 16-12-2012

(16-12-2012, 10:34am)Ward P Wrote: you should be getting around 18-20litres per 100km if you're light cruising.
Even really flogging it high in the revs on a track day mine doesn't drop blow 14.

. . . You didn't let Corbin didn't tune it did you?? Lol2 Wm

Ha good one Wardy, we did some fuel trials down in Tathra and ranged from 4.8 to 5.8 ltrs per hundred kms. This was spririted riding. On average for me Gen 1 is 4.8 ltrs. This is over 5,500km mainly hyway use. Not sure about the different color of the plugs thou? Welcome to the club anyway, Welcome Chris

RE: Why are my plugs all different colours? - CeeJay07 - 16-12-2012

I might be wrong here, but don't they all run rich straight out of the crate unless you get the ECU flashed or a PC fitted and mapped?

RE: Why are my plugs all different colours? - IBLOWN - 16-12-2012

No vacuum leaks.
Never run injector cleaner. Dont like the stuff. I'd rather get a proper injector service, which brings me to the question: Who does injector servicing in Sydney for the Busa injectors?

Its actually getting a power commander V in a few weeks at C&M Motorcycles, but i need to sort this problem out first. Tuning it may fix it but theres definately a problem. Dont want to tune it then later down the track the tune goes out of wack lol.

RE: Why are my plugs all different colours? - grantxr6t - 16-12-2012

I was doing about 5.5 lts per 100,On the tahra runs on sat & sun.Mines a gen 2. Been flashed by pete,and maj checked air fuel.Must be something wrong in fuel department?

RE: Why are my plugs all different colours? - revhead - 16-12-2012

the 1 one the left is fine the 2 middle ones lean as and 4 is rich as ,look i didnt eat lead paint as a kid ,but dont use 98 in you bike it is crap! i was told this by a petrol rep after my last busa motor went bang ,and all i used was 98,and my plugs funnily enough looked just like yours except # 3 was dead

use 95 fuels ,do not use shell anything its garbage!

RE: Why are my plugs all different colours? - IBLOWN - 16-12-2012

(16-12-2012, 07:29pm)revhead Wrote: the 1 one the left is fine the 2 middle ones lean as and 4 is rich as ,look i didnt eat lead paint as a kid ,but dont use 98 in you bike it is crap! i was told this by a petrol rep after my last busa motor went bang ,and all i used was 98,and my plugs funnily enough looked just like yours except # 3 was dead

use 95 fuels ,do not use shell anything its garbage!

Ive heard this too. People reckon normal unleaded is the best. Ive always used 98 in all my cars and never had a problem. Maybe the bike is different?

RE: Why are my plugs all different colours? - Ward P - 17-12-2012

When I first bought my bike (we're talking 1999) I was told don't waste your money on the high octane, standard is what it's designed for.

- I quickly discovered the bike pinged and spluttered on regular, so I switched to 98 and have stuck to it ever since wherever possible.

Changed the plugs at 150,000 with a major service (the only one the bike has ever had- done another 100,000 since then!) Never had a tune - It doesn't miss a beat.

Could yours be fuel pump issues??? That's where I'd be checking first.

RE: Why are my plugs all different colours? - Aussie Steve - 17-12-2012

Long shot but air filter?

RE: Why are my plugs all different colours? - IBLOWN - 17-12-2012

Air cleaner is clean.

It could be the fuel regulator though. Ive never heard of a fuel reg in a busa die though.

RE: Why are my plugs all different colours? - Axe - 17-12-2012

I've got an injector cleaner if you want to send them to me? can test and clean them out and send them straight back to you.
Your bike dosnt have an o2 sensor does it?

If no o2, vac lines are all clear, then I would be looking at injectors.

RE: Why are my plugs all different colours? - IBLOWN - 17-12-2012

Just went and had the injectors flow tested. They are within 1ml of each other. Injectors are fine.
Is 1ml difference ok pulsing? Im guessing yes?

RE: Why are my plugs all different colours? - Batfink - 17-12-2012

when I got my gen1 last yr the poor thing ran like the Valdez.. stank of fuel and I was getting 10+lt/100ks... was cheaper to drive my VX wagon. Had injectors sonic cleaned and some reduction in top end rev fuel balances (don;t go up there tht much to notice LOL)... now I get 6-7lt/100 on town running and under 5's on open roads... Starts better and runs smoother.. yrly injector servicing is now on my list of mandatory things to do with all the crap they pump out the servo's