Has anyone had a hernia?
I had mine done about 10 weeks ago, they went in to fix the left and found a small one on the right too, so I came out after a double.

I walked to the car the next day and whilst it was uncomfortable I didnt need any pain meds at all from the moment I woke up.
Be mindful of this because they tried to give me tramedol, in reading the side effects it says constipation - you dont really want to be pushing hard to poop after you've had a tummy operation.

I was fine within a few days to walk 3kms at a gentle pace and briskly within 2 weeks.
The small scars are still visible but healed up great.

I have top health cover and the whole op, including theatre anaesthetist and surgeon, cost me $140, which was the excess and some small charge.

Good luck,

Dubs.
Also, since having it done and talking to friends it is amazing how many guys I know have had it or need it done, it is really common.
Most say it was from some strenuous activity but some get a hernia from coughing, pushing a poop or a lot of guys have them from a baby as (apparently) it is common for the stomach wall to not strengthen when a boy starts to walk and so you have it from then - I dont know though.
[Image: 6814.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1248914735]
(16-09-2011, 10:55am)Dubs Wrote: I walked to the car the next day and whilst it was uncomfortable I didnt need any pain meds at all from the moment I woke up.
Be mindful of this because they tried to give me tramedol, in reading the side effects it says constipation - you dont really want to be pushing hard to poop after you've had a tummy operation.

A wise decision! I avoid painkillers if I can, for exactly that reason.

(16-09-2011, 10:55am)Dubs Wrote: I have top health cover and the whole op, including theatre anaesthetist and surgeon, cost me $140, which was the excess and some small charge.

I have no health cover so this is going to cost me over $4000, I guarantee I'll be getting it now, shit!

What I've noticed is that I can't walk upright because the hernia-side just won't let me strighten up. So I have to kind of hobble/limp everywhere, and that puts a lot of strain on my muscles. At this point it's really, really painful because of this stupid walk I have to do. The hernia is just an unpleasant feeling but the limping has caused a huge amount of pain in the surrounding muscles...so has anyone experience that?
I had no pain from mine and I have basic hospital cover...so all I paid was four hundred for the private hospital room. I suppose different people experience different side effects...either that or you're an almighty wuss and need to harden the f up....lol.

I had virtually no pain after the op but I did need to bury my best mate...my border collie of 11 years... the next day and my other half had to dig the hole....man what a bastard day that was I can tell you...so yes you will have to take it easy for a few weeks...now almost 12 months later I can carry a grand piano on my back with ease while lifting ten bags of cement on a pallet.....well maybe not ten bags!!
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast
(16-09-2011, 01:19pm)Aussie Steve Wrote: either that or you're an almighty wuss and need to harden the f up....lol.

No chance of that, I've explored the limits of pain brother trust me a shattered pelvis is like a 5-day pass in hell Scary

Sorry to hear about your dog, must have been miserable.
yeah...worst day of my life bar non!!!...I had to decide to have him put down over the phone cause I was in hospital waiting for the bloody doctors to do the bloody hernia op...I couldn't even say goodbye...

as for the pain I can imagine what that felt like..I had a drain inserted into my chest cavity...felt like I was slowly being stabbed ( you know that scene out of Saving Private Ryan where there is the bloke on the stairs too frightened to go up and kill the german who was stabbing the yank soldier with his bayonet) bit like that!....but shattered pelvis must be up there.
(16-09-2011, 03:45pm)Aussie Steve Wrote: yeah...worst day of my life bar non!!!...I had to decide to have him put down over the phone cause I was in hospital waiting for the bloody doctors to do the bloody hernia op...I couldn't even say goodbye...

as for the pain I can imagine what that felt like..I had a drain inserted into my chest cavity...felt like I was slowly being stabbed ( you know that scene out of Saving Private Ryan where there is the bloke on the stairs too frightened to go up and kill the german who was stabbing the yank soldier with his bayonet) bit like that!....but shattered pelvis must be up there.

Why was there a cavity in your chest?
Where my heart used to be..........lol
Hahah, I set you up for that one ;-)
i cant see how the bussa caused it. a lot of things can cause them though.babies cam be born with them. i had a double hernia around 20 yrs ago it hert like a mutha.a few weeks of pain while i was repairing.and a itch i couldnt scratch caused by the mesh they put in to hold my guts in place.the staples were no prob.just a nice scar now
every corner tells a story
Touch wood, I'm the only male in three generations not to have one in my family...