welding up your clutch
BUSH FIRE IN BACK GARDEN!!

The only things that aren't insured are the bike and my beach buggy, so spent all available time putting it back together and filling it up with oil, so I could have a chance of saving it if needed.

(Groan!) Turns out it was back burning that went wrong for 30-40 minutes.

I'll start again tomorrow (Day 4, is it?). Guy on SH.ORG says he just zips the hub nut on and off with a rattle gun, and never punch locks it but uses thread locker, so I think I'll follow suit.

<i></i>
You dont have to drain the oil to do this job either.
Just get a paver or a bit of timber & roll the front
wheel onto it. This combined with the STAND down will let the bike lay over on a greater angle.
Then the oil wont run out when you take the cover off.
Yes a rattle gun will work but YOU have to stop the basket spining round like maj said.
if you haven't got any spare plates to weld up to make a tool
You can just get a couple of longer bolts & put them into the studs & use a bar(screw driver) to lock against the bolts to stop the hub from spinning while you rattle off the nut.
easy
shane <i>Edited by: the shredder 3 at: 23/11/06 10:45
</i>
Ordered the updated bits for the clutch today and will pick them up tomorrow from Western in Penriff. Decided I'll take the front wheel in at the same time to have wheel bearings fitted - removing the front wheel took over an hour (don't ask).

So, bike now on the floor off the stand with clutch back together, but no front wheel.

Nonetheless, despite the lack of progress, I now know what I'm doing and expest to finish either tomorrow or Saturday to complete the job in a week - good for me! <i></i>
(Groan!) That bloody nut. Total disaster.

Dudes, have the right tools! <i></i>
Got pass the nut. Should've been easier, but I was messing up. The disaster was a broke a spindle off the outer clutch basket - soft alloy. At $300 for a second hand one, I'll leave methinks!

A proper hub holder is $450, so do it the way Smithy says - it's free and easy.

Should be easy from here on, taking five minutes out from installing Smithy's gear indicator to replace spark plugs and re-oil air filter, only to discover air filter is shot.

I'll need a new BMC one. <i></i>
Throwdown don't touch your bike any more when I get mine done (AND IT WORKS) I'll give you a call and give you a hand its on my list of things to do
Leonard I will need 2 sets of spacers now PLEASE
Cheers Robert
Aren't all Busas Copper & Plated, the others are just all very poor slow ugly copies !!!!!<i></i>
Thanks Simmo, but bike in bits, and the rest is easy now.

Par of the course for me - working out what tools are needed and breaking a couple of things, - I could do this job in under an hour now.

I'll take you up on fork work, though - that, swingarm and engine strip down are all I've got left.

Glad I bought Smithy's gear indicator as well, as found the GPS connector welding itself to the connector on the power wires. The last people to work on that stuff was Action in the City, and no word of lie, up to 2 inches of bare wire was left on 2-3 wires. How it's lasted so long, I'll never know.

Took tank off for better access. This GPS replacement has turned into replacing front wheel bearings, front pads, spark plugs, air filter (I may leave this one), slushing out fuel tank, wiring on those connectors and a serious degrease of the bike. Love it! Rego in January.

<i></i>
Well...practically.

Smithy's gear postion indicator looks the business. Tested it several times with the bike on the stand, and fitting a switch so I can turn it on or off, just need velcro now.

replaced the last fibre on the clutch with the 02+ bits, so looking forward to trying out the difference there.

Spent a lot of time on wiring to save burnt out connectors I found under the seat, and amongst other things did serious amounts of degreaser and washing.

Still have to refit the fuel tank, airbox/filter, nose and wind screen, but keep having to go off to work. <i></i>
Oi Throwdown its almost Xmas is it finished yet ??
Pan & Ruffy have bets on you

Cheers Robert
Aren't all Busas Copper & Plated, the others are just all very poor slow ugly copies !!!!!<i></i>
Done 28km!

All I need is velcro now (don't ask). Nothing more rewarding than doing your work. I reckon I've just done $1600-$2000 worth of work just now.

I'll aim to make a ride day soon. <i></i>