Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED
welding up your clutch - Printable Version

+- Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Bike Discussions (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Technical Discussion (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: welding up your clutch (/showthread.php?tid=1526)

Pages: 1 2

welding up your clutch - bandit17172 - 28-03-2006

can any one help with this,apparently you need to weld the inner ring? <i></i>

Re: welding up your clutch - Maj750t - 28-03-2006

Or you could buy mine, then it can be put back to std anytime.
Pics in the vendor section p083.ezboard.com/faustral...D=53.topic
New price $80 +delivery <i></i>

Re: welding up your clutch - Maj750t - 28-03-2006

Its only a big help on the 99-00 bikes ,clutch shudder was reduced a lot in later models by a slight change in the clutch pack. <i></i>

Re: welding up your clutch - Throwdown - 10-11-2006

I'm changing the GPS, so may as well do some clutch updates on my 00 at the same time.

So firstly, what's the name of the two tools I need and where can I get them - only briefly looked this over, but one is for holding the starter clutch.

And what do people recommend? Welded clutch? Springs? etc... <i></i>

Re: welding up your clutch - Maj750t - 10-11-2006

You need to hold the clutch hub while undoing the centre nut, i made a tool from old steel plares welded on a bar.
the drag guys may have some old plates .
Or a rattle gun can work but hold the hub don't just let it thump on the gears.

& here's the hub still for sale
<i></i>

Re: welding up your clutch - Throwdown - 10-11-2006

I may come in for this. How much to post?

What are the upgrades on the 02 clutches? And are HD springs a good idea for a mamby pamby rider? <i></i>

Re: welding up your clutch - Maj750t - 10-11-2006

A welded hub will need spring spacers or heavier springs to stiffen it a bit , my first busa had 3mm spacers behind the springs on this welded hub.
The 02 and later clutch packs had parts 13,14,&15 different to the 99-01, to retrofit just replace the last fibre plate with these parts.
www.ronayers.com/fiche/30...arent=5390
Didn't realise how much difference it could make till i left similar out of my zx6 trackbike , made a kangaroo out of it, there was no way to get a smooth takeoff.

Post , probably ~$10, if its more i'll cover it.Less and the change will be in the package. <i>Edited by: Maj750t at: 10/11/06 17:32
</i>

... - Throwdown - 14-11-2006

Any thoughts on upgrading the starter clutch at the same time? Or replacing more stuff as this clutch has done at least 100,000km?

Also, if I have the welded bit, I only need HD springs? Or HD springs and/or a 3mm spacer?

Getting more confident the more I research it. Hope to tackle it soon.

Ta!

<i></i>

clutching at..... - rev 01 - 14-11-2006

For the road, if you run Barnett springs which are about 10mm longer, you can leave the spacers out

I'm running a welded BTL & the Barnetts & it's all you'll ever need (if you don't go drag racing.)

Springs cost $40 all up.
BTL was around $200 change over.

If your bike has done 100,000 k measure the stack height before you replace anything.

Fitting stronger springs or spacers will put more stress on your sprocket cover..........you'll then need FFI's "claw "

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...the joys of owning a cheese chariot <i></i>

errr....?!?? - Throwdown - 15-11-2006

Stack height? <i></i>

clutch - rev 01 - 16-11-2006

Stack height is the overall dimension of the entire clutch pack... ie...(all steel & fibre plates)....

<i></i>

Day 1... - Throwdown - 17-11-2006

OKAY, I'm starting.

This is a log of a typical job on my bike, when done by me. Day 1...

Put bike on stand, pumped it up until clutch just above waist height and removed side panel.

Removed three centre bolts and placed them in their own sealable bag so they won't walk.

Got 8mm socket to undo cover only to find it's too thick to undo two of the bolts near the starter clutch cover side. Managed to undo one with a spanner, but the other is unreachable.

Stopped for day, until I can buy a narrow 8mm socket. Back to the TV - Simpsons are on.

Going well, better than usual. <i></i>

Re: Day 1... - Heidi1 - 17-11-2006

Get shitfaced and start again with a hangover. Works for me. <i></i>

groan... - Throwdown - 18-11-2006

Another hour after some success with a hammer!

How do you "unlock the clutch sleeve hub nut"?

then...

What's a "centre punch", needed to lock it again?

Couldn't go any further when I mistook that centre for 27mm when it 30mm, so have to buy another socket tomorrow.

I reckon I'll be finished sometime on Tuesday - I'll get drunk then.
<i></i>

Re: groan... - Maj750t - 20-11-2006

Sounds like a spanner session is needed at someones place that has a few of the needed tools and a little experiance, besides its bad form to drink alone <i></i>