SHINKO F005 / R005 Tyres
After some thought, I've decided to give the Shinko 005 tyres a try. I've just picked up a set (Whites Racing... top blokes) F & R for $380 (fitted). I have to say that the initial impressions are very good. (See attached picture)

Up until now I've been running Metzler M1's, which gave me 11,000 km (F&R) but I really should have changed the M1's about 2,000km ago because they were well and truly shagged and really not fun to ride on.

I've heard the Shinko's don't turn in as fast, but neither did the M1's. Both have the more rounded profile on the front tyre. So, as far as turn-in goes, feels exactly the same to me.

I'll post up reports as I go along.
They look like a pretty good profile Rob and at a great price for a pair.
I'll be keen to see how they measure up.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
Rob the Shinko's we have been getting are for the drags with a flat profile well after a couple of runs they are for sure Frown , that looks like a nice street tyre let us know how they go, but 11,000 out of a rear tyre you must have heaps to points on your license Party-smiley-018
Getting good life out of tyres, means sharing the wear load over the surface Rob.
Not riding in a straight line and warm up burnouts.Lol3

(Keeping your points is a matter of vigilance)
Ghastly
Regards BUSGO
Some shots of the tyres fitted.. (only been on for 25km)

Rear
[attachment=2755]

Front Close Up
[attachment=2754]

Front
[attachment=2756]

Mick was telling me that Shinko purchased the moulds from another manufacturer (Michelin or Pirelli... can't remember) so the tread pattern may be familiar to some of you. The front is rounded, but like I said - so was the M1 and I really can't feel any difference regarding turn-in (only done 25km on them though). I'll keep you posted as I get more miles on them.

Simmo... 11,000 out of the M1's was not meant to happen. I've been so busy with work lately I just hadn't gotten around to it. The M1's were absolutely shagged - as in almost zero tread depth. The sticky compound was still working, but I'd never have ridden them in the wet. Should have changed them at 9,000.

Mick from Whites Racing changed them at his place on Saturday afternoon with 15 minutes notice (I happened to be close by and he was happy to do them on the spot). Now that's service! They also sell boots, helmets, gloves etc at prices even MCA would have trouble matching. They also do other brands of tyres. If you've never used them, I recommend you give Whites a try.
Very interested in how the tyres work out, I got a Bridgestone BT0020 rear off Mick a while ago and i can attest that the prices are great and hes a wealth of info on bike set up and tyres.
[Image: photo3.jpg]
Was able to get out for a quick run today so did the Old Pacific Hwy. This is the first real outing on the Shinko's. I can only really compare to my last tyres which were M1's.

Warm Up - As good as the M1. It was a coolish day with not much heat in the tar. Warmed up and grippy within a few minutes/km. Until then (with the preservative coating) I wasn't pushing much anyway.Front seems to get heat in faster than the rear and you can feel it (see F/R sync below)

Turn In (warm) - Faster than the M1. Less effort. Using the same amount of input as for the M1, I was over-steering. Once I got that sorted, turn in was very predictable, smooth and progressive, probably due to the rounded profile. When cold they aren't quite as predictable - but you'd expect that.

Front / Rear sync : The tyres are a matched pair (both 005's) and the rear follows the front faithfully without any perceived delay, flex or protest - once warm. It seemed that the front warmed about a minute faster and I could feel the merest (and I mean... very slight) hint that the rear wasn't responding as fast. There's no drama about it, and it might just have been me being over-analytical.

They respond well to weight transfers (hanging off and peg hopping), and no squirming / resistance during rapid direction changes (tight "S" bends) and U turns. Plus they make the bike feel light and flick-able and always feel rock-solid stable.

Grip - Excellent. At least as good as the M1's when new. Bit surprised by that. Especially noticeable when crossing the rivers of trickle tar all along the Old Road - no movement at all. Was even able to get the gas on whilst crossing trickle tar rivulets and there wasn't the merest hint of drama. Those who know that road will remember there are small rivers and streams running across some of the corners for days after it rains and a few spots that never dry out because they never see the sun. No drama's in any of these spots even when transitioning (dry to wet to dry) under steady power. Same as the M1's when new.

Feedback at all speeds was very good.

Low speed steering : Trickling through traffic was a breeze! Getting around traffic snarls and cutting across lanes (cars stopped) easy as pie.

Basically, they are as confidence inspiring as the M1's and the Bridgestone 014's I had previously (Shinko markets the 005 is their alternative for the Bridgestone 014/015, the 009 as the BT05X and the 003 as the Bridgestone 004/005).

Things to note : I'm not a speedster. My riding style is best described as smooth and 'swoopy'. I tend to set up for corners well in advance and have trickled down to my desired approach speed (and exit gear) by the time I need to turn in - rather than coming in hot and using gears/brakes to bring me down to approach speed. You'll rarely see my brake light in the tight stuff (remember that if you're ever following me). I'm on the throttle all the way through the corner and bleed in more power at the apex rather than dropping off and then giving it a fistful on apex. My cornering speeds are not to be regarded as 'punishing on tyres' - so the information above needs to be read as such.

Don't get the impression that the 'cold' performance is iffy. We all know that cold tyres can be unpredictable and I don't want to give anyone the impression that there's an issue there. I'd like to get a few more km's on them before I make a definitive statement (they only have 255km on them at the moment, so its way too soon to be seriously reviewing them anyway). What I can say is that once warmed up, they are very predictable and confidence inspiring - as good as the M1 or the 014 as far as I'm concerned (for my riding style).
Very good analysis Astro. - of both the tyres Pi_thumbsup and your riding style..Biker

Thanks.Action-smiley-083
Regards BUSGO
The tread pattern is the same as the Michelin Pilot Sport , i had a set on the Fireblade and i found that the tread pattern on the front wore where it comes to a point .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

i dont here to many of you guys talking about continentals take my advice and give them a go they are better than any i have used try road attack on the rear an sport attack on the front softer on the front .
A^K^T Wrote:The tread pattern is the same as the Michelin Pilot Sport , i had a set on the Fireblade and i found that the tread pattern on the front wore where it comes to a point .

I checked the tyres and the 'points' come out of the mould that way. Every single 'point' is rebated back to the channel. I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it. If I'd not looked, in about 1000km I would have assumed the same as you - but now I know they are like that as a design feature, I'll know not to regard it as a wear deficiency.

On the topic of cold performance. I did another 200km yesterday. Damn chilly up here... and wet. No issues whatsoever. I think the effect I'd previously mentioned was the preserving compound. I'll keep you posted.
How's your rubber lasting Tin Boy? Got a puncture repair kit for when it gets deflated Ghastly

Ruffy
Hey astro how they going i need new tires soon
Regards

Dan
I went n bought the shinko 005 rear today and i have to say there a nice tire to look at and at $257 thats a bargain if ya ask me! just need to bolt the wheel back on now and charge the new battery then im back on the road when i get rego next tuesday after being of the road for nearly a year! Yes
Ok... 1500km on the Shinko's and (hate to sound boring) but there's nothing noteworthy to report. They just do what they were intended to do. It's getting a lot cooler now we're into June and there are no warm up issues. Handling is great under any conditions, wet or dry (remembering I'm not a speed demon) and wear... what wear? Nothing visible.

I really liked the M1's and before them, the 014's and started out on the Shinko's trying to work out where they fell short compared with the others. They've not displayed any shortcoming - to the point where for weeks now, I'm not even consciously aware that I'm not still on the M1's or the 014's. I just ride the bike and it feels solid and planted and it reacts exactly the way I want it to in a controlled and predictable manner. Can't ask for more than that.

No complaints.