Melb Ride Day Sunday 4th March
OK - For those who are interested, we are due for a squirt this weekend and I have been handed the baton for this one.

You need only read the next paragraph for the essential info.

Bottom line is a 10:45am start from Warrandyte (23F11). Meet at the parking lot 50m East of the bridge (and roundabout) at 10:30am. A second or even third start point for those more distant will be posted shortly (hopefully by someone with a good plan).

Ride will cross the bridge and follow the signs to Kinglake via Panton Hill and St Andrews. A catch up rest at the Kinglake roundabout (282P12, Hardware store on the left). Ride will then head East to cross over the Melba Highway and head through Toolangi and Chum Creek into Healesville (278B1) to rest and catch-up at the main shops 500m to the East.

From Healesvile the plan is to go through the Black Spur and on into Marysville for a bite for lunch and a discussion on where to continue. I'm happy to run the Reefton Spur but others may have preferences for the run from Healesville or from Marysville. Suggestions welcome but make them soon.

That's it, - for now, I'll just mention some of the cautions I think are relevant. The last 10 kms into Kinglake are twisty and any bends posted at 25kph should be respected (a bit) - road surface is pretty good. The sweep out of Kinglake to Melba is fast for the Busa, 100kph bends are about right. There are roadworks at Toolangi (about 2kms)where some light gravel and/or dust from the trucks may be scattered across the bitumen road surface - the 60kph signs should be obeyed to avoid any possibility of stone chips. We veer right to miss Myers Creek Rd and the road surface is excellent and curves good fun down into Healesville. The road through the Black Spur is real good in places but gives way to polished blue metal protruding above the bitumen base after the Fernshaw picnic ground - and if misty or after rain, requires a cautious hand. Be carefull if rain the previous day leaks onto the road making it slippery at blind corners. The run into Marysville is pretty good. This route is brilliant at 6:30am with only rabbits, kangaroos and occasional deer to watch for. If you have a better plan - let's hear it - soon,

Bob
Just a note about the road just after the St.Andrews pub to Toolangi. The smaller bikes love it. 4 or so tight left handers. A couple of which the bitumen on the apex tight in has collapsed quite dramatically. No big drama even helpful sometimes except for one if your in tight. At the bottom there is a slightly off camber right hander that comes back on itself. This quite often has gravel on it. The straight and left hander coming into it are pretty rough surface so it's a bit of a warning. As previously stated the rest of the road to Kinglake is usually reasonably free of debris. Please don't take this too heart and remember it cools off quite a few degrees up them thar hills.
I take it, then, you'll be there Jim

Yes, I will be there too.

Can others indicate here if they will be coming or not, so I don't have to contact as many people... Cheers
Looking good, Bob. 15+ at the moment.
I'll be there as long as the weather is good.

Shaun
I'll be riding with you, weather permitting.
Craig

Weather is currently looking like it is going to be perfect.
gunna try and make it there even if i can't go on the ride,,

cheers
les
Looks like I will finally get to meet you guys...at least until Healsville

seeya there (I hope)

bmac
Looks like it will be a great day and a good turn-up. Let's take it easy and enjoy these bikes.

Glad to hear you might make this one Bigmac and Shaun. Looking forward to the chat at the top of the hill,

See you at 10:30am Warrandyte, all welcome,

Bob
most are not aware just how much time, effort and expense goes into organising a successful ride day,,

all of that effort is carried out by 1-2 self-motivated individuals who act in good faith for the benefit of all - so before we even go on this ride, let's thank richard for his behind the scenes work in making it all happen,,

THANKS RICHARD

cheers
les
Looks like I can make it!! Will be dragging along someone on a TL1000 just for fun. I'd better get off the turps tonight and get some sleep. That road to Kinglake is interesting !
I'll be near the Crossroads at Kinglake about 11-11:15.
Look for me..

paulh