Alarms
Has anyone ever fitted an alarm to their Busa (or other bikes)?

I recently purchased a Mongoose Striker alarm but haven't yet had a chance to properly install the alarm. I had an alarm very similar to this one on my old RF900R but it didn't have the auto-arming feature. Are than any alarms recommended or not recommended for the Busa?

I am not sure what it is like elsewhere but the local Suzuki dealer seemed quite vague when it came to alarms, wiring diagrams, manuals etc which did give me a bit of a scare but what is the easiest way to get a hold of a wiring diagram or manual?

Cheers

David
I had an alarm fitted to my old Busa. Make and Model was a Laserline 860v. Not that hard to fit and very, very good!!!! I'm halfway thru fitting one to my newer Busa. Features include:
* Anti-lift sensor
* Ignition Key sensor
* High/Low sensitivity settings
* Self Power sensor
* LED light
* Rolling random codes
* Variable volume control
* 2 Remotes
* Flashing readout indicating what set it off
* Silent testing option

I recommend it !! Peter
How much are these marvels? I can't afford insurance any more..... this might be an alternative.

HEIDI xxx
I also wouldn't mind finding out a price for it and location where to get one ?
Insurance is out of the question!

Thanks Peter

That is good to know!

There aren't many bike places really in Canberra and several don't stock much in the way of alarms etc

The Mongoose one I have picked up was from the Canberra Motorcycle Centre for $200 (not installed). It does sound like the specifications are very similar with adjustable shock sensor, silent arming etc but I am unsure of the rolling codes feature.

One feature it does have, which could be a tad annoying (unless you are used to it I guess) is an automatic arming. If the bike is off for more than 30secs it automatically arms itself. I prefer to choose when it is armed as sometimes things like mates, kids want to just sit on it but it has to be on or the alarm will set (& go off from the sensors)... also I wouldn't bother arming it in the garage at home but I would always have to remember to disarm it at home before hopping on.

Other than all that it seems adequate as far as alarms go. A funny feature which it (and the other alarm I had) offers is the remote start. This has to be wired correctly as it would be a painful site accidentally starting it in gear. Funny thing to see if people are looking at it and the thing just starts up. I did enjoy Canberra winters though opening the garage to an already warm bike.

Well, I will write chapter 2 another time...

Cheers

David
With the auto-start feature, you would have to override the clutch as well, that unique Suzuki feature (either that, or when you park your bike, use a rubber band to keep the clutch in... :/ )

But on another note, too, I always leave the bike in gear on the side stand, now, after the alarming number of instances where Busas have fallen off their side-stands! I am also doubly cautious about how much slope to allow the bike to sit on, and I always give the stand a second kick forward to be 100% sure it is out fully.
Fiche, the alarm has an automatic arming mode from which the bike has been switched off for more than 30 seconds,..... BUT it only arms the Ignition Kill mode - no other sensors, thus bike screeching alarm will not sound. Also the alarm has a sleep mode which used in the garage when not using bike for long periods. This mode only draws 0.5mA compared to 6mA when on full alarm mode. Also, bike will automatically arm itself to sleep mode after 72 hours untouched or not armed. To keep the module receiver mode active the bike will draw 5mA where as full arm mode is 6mA to activate all sensors.

The module and receiver has its own back-up/standby battery which it self charges so you don't have to worry about the main bike battery going flat. Also the figures I give you are really stuff all - talking about Milli-Amps here!

I'll dig out the info and where to but it from during the weekend. You can only buy it Western Australia and alarm made in Italy. And something you should also know is that each time you go to start the bike you have to disenage the LED flashing by pressing remote button on key ring, UNLESS you start bike with-in 30 seconds of dis-arming bike! Surprising, you do actually get used to pressing button remote every time you go to start bike after putting key in ignition and on!

More to come, Peter
Peter

That does sound good. Approx how much was/is the alarm without the installation?

Cheers

David
G'day all, been off-line since Saturday due to computer freezing up - still not right after setting up today, will take back 2mrow! Just able to log-in!

Sorry Fiche, anyway on my receipt from the alarm company they are
"Motorone Group Pty Ltd T/as Laserline"
Unit 1, 57 Guthrie St
Osborne Park, W.A., 6017

There is no phone number on here, just ABN numbers, etc. Maybe ask Telstra and let me know how you go!
I maybe off-line for another few days getting computer repaired sp I check with you again soon! GoodLuck. I'm going to go and soothe my muscles after having a wild waterskiing session at Frankston tonight!! Cheers, Peter
For all those interested in a little electronic security and a lot of piece of mind, Viper (Direct Electronic Industries) has released a water resistent and very small model called the Model 200. The keyfobs are completely waterproof and very, very small, with five channels (two used for arm/disarm, one for panic, and two spares which can operate anything via a relay) and about a 15-20m range.

The module sits neatly under the left front cover (directly under the handgrip next to the fuse box) with the siren mounted on the front fairing next to the air intake.

It features ignition, battery, dual-stage shock sensing along with a mercury switch which acts as a tilt sensor plus a closed-loop wiring input to protect luggage/etc.

I've also had incorporated a remote starting module which works a treat for warming up in the morning and equally well for tripping everyone out when they see a bike start up on it own! This also requires the anti-hotwiring circuit to be 'fudged' by an experienced auto-electrician (done externally at the fuel injection computer's loom). The alarm also stays fully armed even while the bike is running so it cannot be ridden away. No more holding the clutch in with one hand whilst holding a helmet, or shutting off the engine because you forgot to put something in the boot! When wired in correctly, the engine won't start if the bike is upright (tilt sensor), in gear or kill switch is on. The shock sensor must be disabled if remote-starting is used as the engine vibration sets it off.

Cost is approximately $300-400 for the alarm with another $200-250 for the remote start module. Don't quote me, but i'm sure this was the ball park figure.

Any further questions, contact myself (0438 171 87 or the only guy i'd ever trust with this or any install, Alan Anderson (0418 599 21 from Geelong Car Sound in Victoria. (tell him i gave you his number)

(PS, most installers haven't done an install on a bike but will say "i'll give it a go"..... i dont think so Tim!)

Had the system running for about 6 months with no hassels (other than it'll drain the battery if not started about once per week)