Stay Upright Advanced Course Review
Did 2 hrs of theory last night.
Didn't do much for me and I was thinking have I been stung...

Did 8 hrs of track work today at Broadford and just returned.
Best money I ever spent...can't believe how many real techniques I have picked up.
I know have a system for cornering and braking....before it was just instinct from 30 years of riding.

When it is explained what to do and why it all falls into place.
Excellent instructors who actually follow you and then critique and correct your riding.

Can't speak highly enough about this course.

If you do what you do on a bike but don't know why...
then this is a MUST.

Just DO IT!

Oh yeah sorry guys I let the team down...
I was the second fastest bike on the track today...
guess what beat me?...
a 910 KTM....I faaaaaaaarkin serious!!!
Go figure...

Cheers,
Pete

Z Web World
Mobile Dj, Web Design,
Photography, Bullshit Artist!Edited by: Djpete at: 22/10/05 7:55 am
Great to get the feedback , sounds like I need to make some time and get myself along to one
It is great stuff.
Don't know about your course, but the blokes in Sydney have a relaxed attitude and use humour well too.

I did the Advanced and also later the Cornering and Braking course. Both excellent. It rained for both of mine, which left me really confident by the end of the day. I know that I can do emergency braking at 140km/h and "Stay Upright", as well as race around Oran Park Raceway reaching 210km/h on the straight in the wet...

I'd highly recommend the course.
"sometimes, crime does pay"

Shareholder
Easyrider Imports
www.easyriderimports.com.au

Preferably your own bike, though you can hire theirs. You just wear any long pants, good shoes, long sleaves, gloves and helmet...

check it out:
Stay Upright NSW
"sometimes, crime does pay"

Shareholder
Easyrider Imports
www.easyriderimports.com.au

Edited by: pan at: 21/10/05 11:27 pm
Bazoo just do it
Pan 100% right.
They were funny and entertaining but you learnt so much too.
Yep we did the emeg stop too...great to know Cheers,
Pete

Z Web World
Mobile Dj, Web Design,
Photography, Bullshit Artist!
You go on your own bikes? and do you have to have full leather suit and gear?
Welcome to OSB Pan Regards Bill

"Secret Mod Group Is Kicking Butt"

Busa's Rule On The Rest
In Vic they told us that they prefer at least leather pants.
I wore leather pants and dryrider type top.

Summary of what they teach you:
Emergency braking
Low speed manouvering
Slaylom turning
How to corner eg: when to brake, when to down change, how to downchange, when to power out of corner,vision of the corner,getting active on the bike,position, head placement and more

I know reckon I have a great set of basic guidelines to work with.
I had none b4 it was just by instinct.

I know when you get your license now they go through some of this stuff but in the early 80's you just rode the mother and if you stayed up you got your license! Cheers,
Pete

Z Web World
Mobile Dj, Web Design,
Photography, Bullshit Artist!Edited by: Djpete at: 22/10/05 7:28 am
I learnt abit when i done the bike course, it was fun. Whats the difference between the superbike course, i think its called? and stay up right?
Not much difference between them, personal preference, both have advanced + courses and both have descent instructors. Cheers,
Kawasuki
Here's a bit more detail as to what this course did for me.
Hopefully this may inspire others to do it or think faaaark Pete what were u thinking b4?
I consider myself a good rider, especially in the areas of predicting what a car may do etc, but riding technique really was 0 as I have had no training at all in 30 years.
In other words I was street smart.

1: Emergency stopping, before:never really done it as practice, figured dont get in trouble won't have to use it.
Now: very confident in doing one, know exactly what to do with front and rear timing, am practicing it before each ride as routine now.

2: Slaylam, could do it fine before but had never tried it powering on and off, this way gives you more feel of how the bike turns in depending on throttle position...off throttle bike drops in, on throttle bike sort of drives in.

3:Bike position, before I would be a little back in the seat, now I am as close as practical to the tank, weight over front wheel more, the difference in this is amazing, so much more control and confidence at high speed.
Arms also always relaxed not out stretched.
Of course no absorbsion at all when your arms are tight, actually all bumps etc are exagerated through you!
Now more relaxed when riding, this was not a huge prob for me b4 but just being aware of it makes a big difference.

4:Cornering: main cause of bike accidents is overshooting corners...why? riders don't look far enough ahead. They don't look through the corner as far as possible, they focus a little closer to the bike, before I was guilty of this. Now I'm looking right around the corner as far as possible and then scanning back towards the bike for pot holes or whatever, but the main focus is now as far ahead as poss. This has made an enormous difference already.

Also before a corner brake (front only) then down shift to correct gear for corner, go through corner and only accelerate when you see the end of the corner, that way the bike is powering on it's way up and can't slide...the bike is coming upright again.
Before I would down shift first to slow bike (using back and front brake sometimes) then accelerate as much as possible through corner trying to play catch up...wrong!
I am so confident now through corners...

Head/body position: It was pointed out that I was looking perfect for lh corners but looked like another rider when going through rh corners. Now I am focussing on keeping the balance correct.
I didn't even realise I was weaker on rh corners. Obviously not pyscological just technique.
Using a little rear brake (feathering to stabilise bike or get rid of a little speed) through corners. Never did it b4

5: Slow turning:
Before I would just use a little front brake when manouvering slow. Now I use back brake feathering and this stabilises the bike, the difference is amazing.

6: Blipping throttle to down shift whilst front braking:
Never used to use front brake as well as blipping throttle down gears, I would use rear brake.
Now it is so much easier and less movement of feet etc. Can't believe I wasn't doing this. I know it is standard training when you get your license these days...but hey I got mine 25 yrs ago!

Well that's most of it, there were other smaller things but these are the main ones.

I hope this helps a few out there.
Sorry if I just scared the crap outta some of the others who have ridden with me b4!

My confidence before was around a 7.
Now it's about 9.
!!!

Cheers,
Pete

Z Web World
Mobile Dj, Web Design,
Photography, Bullshit Artist!Edited by: Djpete at: 23/10/05 1:57 pm
How much are the courses?
$320 for Stay Upright Chunky.
After theory I though rip off, but once on the track with these guys giving you direct feedback, that is priceless.
Well worth it! Cheers,
Pete

Z Web World
Mobile Dj, Web Design,
Photography, Bullshit Artist!
i am am am am , look db speech less Cheers,
Rod & Janette

resonable price