My ZX-14 test ride...is my 'Busa up for sale?? [long]
While sipping my OJ and perusing the MC classifieds in my local paper like I do every Sat noticed the "ZX-14 now showing..." ad by the local Kwaka dealer...hmm no time to book lets fire up the 'Busa and trundle out to see if I can wangle a ride. They had the 3 colour schemes on show, Red, Black and the Blue one designated the thrasher, sorry test ride duties. Bad in Black the pick...especially as it hides the cheese platter side panel which to be honest seem smaller in the flesh.

Seeing the bike up close it's dominated by its pair of polished OEM cans and the 4 projector lights. Approach a bit closer and those wide stalk mirrors strike you as a definitely a win for 'function over form'. Funny gadget below/in front of the front sprocket looks like an auto-chain oiler?? Kwaka rep couldn't shed any light on it either...anyway who cares let's ride!

Bit of throttle cable slack makes for nearly stalling compared to my ultra sensitve 'Busa throttlle, never mind coupla few revs at the next lights will sort that but...WTF?!? Where's the other half of the motor? This thing seriously feels like a 600cc! And that's even in 1st gear. Geezus what's wrong here? Yeah - I know Mr Kawasaki built it for the spec sheets and it shows. Motor on out of Canberra via Majura Rd waiting for the traffic at legal speeds I explore the quite upright ride position, low, small screen but never obscuring the instruments and somewhat thick to hold grips. Quite comfy and reminds of older ZZRs but not the 1100, really more like the 600 - this thing doesn't feel big at all.

Okay hit a few gaps on Mildura rd and find the power is quite distinct - basically there is nothing much happening until about 5-6k rpm from 6+ rpm things start fly and by 8-9k rpm you better have shifted yourself up onto the tank and wound in your arms from the lazy spectate and tour stance Otherwise you're sliding off the back struggling to keep up! Front-end was mighty light and flicking a bit in about 3rd at 8-9k rpm - really I only was giving it a bit of stick in a straight line. It's showing about 3050 rpm @ 100km/h in 6th - quite high geared. Need to drop a few gears to really whip around cars in a flash.

Feels light and chuckable and very confidence inspiring - I felt more at ease leaning into tightly curved on-ramp entering the Federal Hwy than other big bikes. I motored down the Fed Hwy touching the double-tonne in spurts before peeling off for the return scoot down Sutton rd. Wind her up...oh the rubber band now uncoils and releases some serious grunt...but why the hell do I have wait for 6k for it to happen? Radial mount front brakes are superb without being deadly - two-finger hard braking from 220 km/h upon seeing a "wide-load" ute appear up the road - absolutely no dramas, though the back brake didn't have much feel and certainly not as responsive so had to keep that in mind when jumping on the anchors.

Boy though, do I miss the back-torque limiter on my 'Busa - I had to rapidly change my style and return to giving it handfuls of revs on the down-change to avoid compression lock-up. I do this on the 'Busa but only ever so slightly as its FI is sensitive. Taking sweepers at 140-160km/h firm and very responsive handling - tho I have to say not sure how willing it was to change line mid corner - have to ride it again to check. Kept saying to myself I can't believe I'm riding a hyper-sports 1400cc bike- just doesn't feel big. I know they say that about 'Busa...but mine definitely feels like a long bike compared to ZX-14. Busa's wheel base is 1485mm compared to 1460 on the ZX just an inch in it. Dry weight for the US model is quoted as same as Busa = 215kg. (Kawka Oz still don't list specs on their site).

I only found one funny feeling at about 80km/h, moderate rough road, front braking into turns that the bike felt like it had a flat front tyre, kind of oscillating front from left-to-right. Weird and never happened again - I don't think there's a steering dampner on it.

Despite my old-school four-finger brakes, I'm very happy with my recent 'Busa purchase - tho I will now bring forward my braided line upgrade. Busa's grunt and smoothness still grab me and I prefer the slightly more lay-down read to the bars (6ft, 75kg). Definitely a world-apart in the lower revs. ZX is not light-switch power...not linear and somewhat annoying in in the lowest gears.

Yeah I know if you're going to launch then dial up revs and launch...but I don't usually do hard starts, I like to pour on the torque progressively for which I think I have the perfect bike already. But yes, 30 min ride on ZX had me as confident or more so in cornering that am on my Busa - though I have only 2k kms up on the Busa ATM. Not sure why Kwaka would keep the ZX-12R along side this - simply no need. It'd be interesting to see if pipes can improve the bottom-end - it definitely needs all the help it can get - I would want a more flexible powerplant for $20.5K on-road "hyper-sports".

Mark.
K5 Hayabusa, Yoshi RS-3s Edited by: monyx at: 27/5/06 6:16 pm
Thx for the write up. wud have to be hell of a lot for me to get off my bus.
I just can't wait till I get next to one on the Strip or street

and give him a good look at my 1397 Bus pulling away....

How sweet it will be.............

Regards Richard.......
Great write up monyx, thanks for the time you put into it. I guess only time will tell if the ZX-14 is a true heavy weight contender. Maybe (maybe not) in a couple of years it will reach the legendary status of the Busa.

For now the Busa does exactly what I want.

Cheers Rich
Yeah great ride report Monyx.
I think you will find that the flat bottom end may be the result of retardation limitations which will soon be eliminated.
Also they have discontinued the ZX12R and the ZZR1200.
Runout price is $16500 on the road without a trade.
But who would want one?

Rgds BUSGO

"TAKE MY ADVICE"
I'm not using it anyway!
Richard, With any luck maybe getting one for a bit of 1/4 mile action T&T could be interesting .

Leonard.
tycho works at team moto kawasaki in parramatta.
Leonard. I'd like to see one at the Winters if there are

any out at the track. I am real intested to see how they

go. There has bin alot of talk on the US sites about how

close a 1397 Busa and ZX14 are in bore and stroke.

How many other people here have the 1397 kit

Regards Richard..see you at the Winter Nat's
Great write-up... thanks Monyx. Mr. K has a habit of building excellent motors that lack low-down grunt and need a fistful of revs in the lower gears. You'd think in 2006 any 1400 would have enormous loads of torque absolutely everywhere (or was I just spoiled by the busa ?) but somehow that rarely seems to be the case (exception = busa). Can't believe you need to find 6k rpm on it to get some poke - but then again, its not a busa.

Obviously, the ZX14 will be a contender - probably will have its short moment in the sun as "the speed king". It might handle and brake well, but today all bikes do. It'll be remembered as a one trick pony - speed king for a moment in time. No as the supurb rounder the busa is.

I strongly suspect that most serious comparisons will end with the statement "but its not a busa".

In 10 years time, it'll still be the original busa that is the stuff of legend.

(Sorry... does that all sound a bit biased ???)

The older I get, the better I was. Regards.... Rob
Good test report monyx,seems not to be too biased.
Anyway who cares how fast your bike is over a quater mile,if thats all you buy a bike for,then just buy a friggen drag bike.
Ha that will get you quater mile boys talking,ha!
Its not the phantom anymore,its the urban assault legend!
See you at the Winters Richard,
cant wait biggest dragracing event in the country 600+ entries .

Leonard. Edited by: Blackkat at: 28/5/06 8:57 pm
The 14 has timing/mapping changed for the low gears like the busa, put a TRE on it and it may be a different story.
Schnitz racing in the US already stocks these(i'm on the mailing list)
My local Kawasaki dealer is getting a test bike next week , i will be checking it out, but don't expect to be changing till i compare the next busa!
The "forum troll under the bridge" is back.

Seems he's getting a few passers-by too...

not sure if this is directed to my earlier pre-busa purchase comments about my first impressions??

all I can say is they are my first and honest impressions of a brief ride on the new zx-14 - sure stir a little with a sale joke.

I think actions speak louder than words - suffice to say my current ride is 2k kms old K5 Busa.

For once after a test ride, I was not dissappointed with my own bike - and believe me I expected to be, as the Busa is 7 yo in design, I was pleasantly relieved to motor home and tell the missus I was more happy with it than when I departed (ok 2-finger brakes would be nice!)

Mark.

Hi Mark. Sorry, total misunderstanding...

It was directed at Mr.Rocket...
Spa man cracked me up when he called Rod this a few months back...

Much like everyone else on the board, I really liked your summary. Really useful to hear a non-biased view about the 14!