New speed cameras for NSW...
With so few cameras working for the full year, how come I find them all?

New digital red light cameras for NSW
Friday Dec 22 17:56 AEDT

Outdated red light cameras will soon be replaced by the best available digital equipment, the NSW government has warned motorists.

Deputy Premier John Watkins has admitted three quarters of all red light camera boxes in NSW were empty at any one time, following the release of figures showing most of the state's red light cameras were only operating for six months a year or less.

Responding to claims by the Pedestrian Council of Australia (PCA) and the NSW Opposition that NSW traffic cameras were outdated and inadequate, Mr Watkins said the 20-year-old technology would soon be replaced.

He said the government would soon begin the tender process for new digital cameras.

"We'll start that process very early in the new year and part of that process is also the transference of NSW Police across to the RTA," Mr Watkins said.

"We'll get the best technology here in NSW."

Figures, obtained by the PCA through a freedom of information request, show the number of cameras in NSW more than halved from 1996 - down to 69 from 160.

Only eight of the 69 cameras operated the full 12 months in 2006, with most working for six months or less.

In 2005, only two cameras worked the full year.

Opposition Leader Peter Debnam said there needed to be more cameras and a shift toward digital technology.

"There's no doubt the camera technology they're using is very old and it's very labour-intensive, there aren't enough of those cameras and they should have moved towards digital some time ago," Mr Debnam said.
So does that tell us that the old cameras wasnt responisible for the lower deaths on our roads?? Cheers,
Kawasuki
Ohhh, good one!

You know, I don't mind if the cameras are revenue raising, if they admit it, but "for safety reasons" not true in the majority of cases. I know of only 1 camera that I can see is providing a safety advantage - it's around Warrimoo (I think) in the Blue Mountains.
So who the f*** is the Pedestrian Council of Australia.

Must be the f***kers who jay walk and cause cars to jump from lane to lane for no other reason and knock bikers off in the middle of town.
They have also been know to cross at traffic light controlled crossings against the red more often than vehicles run the red.

These new traffic light cameras should be targetted at the PCAs who violate the laws so fragrantly.

Rgds BUSGO

"TAKE MY ADVICE"
I'm not using it anyway!
Hey... good idea Busgo... Jaywalking camera's ! The older I get, the better I was. Regards.... Rob