Metzeler Sportec M1 tyre howling
G'Day, I have just fitter a set of Metzeler Sportec M1 tyres front and rear last week.

For some reason the front trye seams to be howling ( the same type of noise that the 4WD tyres make on the highway).
I think that it is coming from the front tyre as it wasn't making this noise with the orginal tyres on it.

The funny thing is that it only howles when you get up to about 50kph and is at its worst at 60-70kph, then after that it seams to go away.

Has anyone else had this problem with these tyres before or know how to sole this problem? <i></i>
I had M1 tyres in the past, they did not make any strange noises. I ran 36/38psi in front and rear. Check pressures and tire rotation arrow on sidewall is pointing in the right direction. Only time I had noise was when BT56 front wore flat spots either side of centre, made a "whooo" sound at slight lean angles. <i></i>
Sure that wasn't you Gnarbunkle? <i></i>
It's not the gap in your teeth making the noise? Dog tied to the back? <i></i>
Nope not me, ruled out that one, still had my training wheels on, gave me supreme confidence, no barn owls in sight either. <i></i>
Stupid question maybe, but did you change your chain and spockets at the sametime, I did once thought it was a wheel bearing gone but turned out being an front aftermarket sprocket causing the noise..
Cheers Robert
Aren't all Busas Copper & Plated, the others are just all very poor slow ugly copies !!!!!<i></i>
Same here Simmo, front sprocket worn............ <i></i>
I suggest you find a bit of road where the surface texture changes and see if the noise varies when you go from one surface to the other. If the howling changes pitch then it is the tyre. If it is, it will probably go away when you scrub them in.

p.s. get LOUDER pipes.
Rgds BUSGO

"TAKE MY ADVICE"
I'm not using it anyway!<i>Edited by: BUSGO at: 23/1/07 19:17
</i>
I've had my M1's on for about 3000km now and... no howling. Not a sound. Not when they were brand spankers and needed to be scrubbed in... or any time since.

You might have a stuffed bearing ? Only other thing I can think of is it might be on in the wrong rotational direction ? Apart from that, I'm not all that mechanically minded so listen to the smarter blokes on the board. The older I get, the better I was. Regards.... Rob<i></i>
Thanks for the info.
Haven't changed the sprockets or chian and the rotation is the right way around.

Might check the wheel bearings to see how they are doing. They should be fine as the bike has only done 20,000km and I had had it since new from 04.

Other than that I might just have to see how see how they go after scrubed in. <i></i>
Just put Bridgestone 020's on mine and noticed the front wheel howls/chirps as it comes back to meet the tarmac the old bt56's never did that guess its just new rubber running in. <i></i>
bbluesilver just got the m1's on mine saterday from action suzi and yer mine are loud to at the same speeds that you mention. Ive put around 1000km since and there still loud. I am going to check the pressure , but I assume that actions got it right. Oh and my bike only has 4500kms on it and 3500kms when I put these on so it isnt wheel bearings on mine
Simple solution here,just get a decent set of tyres.:eyes:
[Image: CA2BIZED.jpg] BACK IN BLACK!!!
[/quote][quote]Simple solution here,just get a decent set of tyres

OR dont ride when the full moon is out.
My wife howls every time I buy a tyre....

I'll check the phase of the moon next time....
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO