Hayabusa rim Failure
I was wondering if anyone else has had this happend to their 99-07 Busa ??

Travelling (at the speed limit) on Lord St Bassendean last year, without warning, instant deflation of the rear tyre occurred. It appears some sort of bolt or spike penetrated the tyre AND the rim.

Suzuki et al were very sympathetic but completely unhelpful when I discovered the following: see photos

The hugger is mildy 'chipped' at the same / in line with the spot where the tyre was speared, so that sinks the 'did someone shoot at you' conclusion everyone likes. In the end, I bought a used rear rim from Motorcycle Masters. Just lucky it stayed rubber side down.
Holy shit mate your lucky to keep it upright thats just F@#kn nasty, so you didnt find what you run over. Had to be big Scary
[Image: photo3.jpg]
thats really nasty mate it makes you wonder about the integrety of suzuki rims??? glad to see you wernt going fast an you wernt hurt shame suzuki wont replace the rim
(05-07-2009, 10:04pm)ohdear Wrote: Looks strangely like the shape of a tyre machine foot / clamp ???

This all happened over a year ago, but it is interesting that you mention that. The monkeys that fitted the tyre also put it on backwards - I never made the connection before....

The rim got melted for scrap so there is no going back, but I surely won't be getting anything done in Morley again.

[edit]
(05-07-2009, 09:47pm)big kev Wrote: thats really nasty mate it makes you wonder about the integrety of suzuki rims??? glad to see you wernt going fast an you wernt hurt shame suzuki wont replace the rim

I wouldnt blame the rim, had the same thing happen to my
mates car, hes wrx.

I dunno what you hit,or he hit,but done the same thing...
(06-07-2009, 12:57am)NEMESIS Wrote: ...I dunno what you hit,or he hit,but done the same thing...

...that's the worst - still not knowing exactly what happened or what I hit.
Weird, any entry/exit wound on the tyre?
[Image: zzzCustom.jpg]
"par excellence"
(06-07-2009, 11:01am)Gnarbunkle99 Wrote: Weird, any entry/exit wound on the tyre?

Bad photo of 'entry-wound' on tyre. Photo taken after pushing bike home. When it happend, the lump of rubber you see in the photo was more hanging off the tyre like a 'long curly rubber klingon' if that makes sense.

Exit is as you see it, through the rim.

Another bad photo - note small chip in hugger lines up with hole in tyre.

I felt nothing when it happend, just a very loud 'whooosh' and then it got all wobbly real quick. Just lucky it stayed upright.
ya never know whats under the counter these days!
(06-07-2009, 08:25pm)ohdear Wrote: Ya wern't doing a runner out of a servo without paying by any chance ?
Lol2 Lol2 Lol2

RollBumpYes....Ummm, no.
Ok so the rim has been spiked by something unknown, that at least should stop everyone looking over their rims for possible casting defects.
"par excellence"
I havnt even bothered to go down to the garage mate
Egos; everyone got one
Thats the spirit.
"par excellence"