Chicken Strip Ratios (front to rear)
I've got a set of Michelin Pilot Powers fitted. 120 front, 190 rear. I don't know too m uch about these tyres other than both me and Rossi think they're crap. I don't know if they have some weird profile or some weird split compound structure.

I've noticed that at near knee down lean angles the front tyre pushes. Even when warm the front pushes. The only way to get away from this is to get further off the bike and put my CoG down lower, or open the throttle up and get weight onto the rear tyre. By the way, the rear is fine. I've suspected my front suspension is too hard and more suited for a smooth track rather than road. BUT........

I checked my chicken strips on the front tyre. There is nothing left, hardly even a ridge before the tyre wall. Yet the rear has about a half centimetre left. Every other bike I've ridden, including trail bikes with knobbies, have always had more chicken strip on the front than the rear.

Has anyone had the front tyre worn right over the edge but not the rear? Is this some weird tyre profile thing? Can it be suspension? Is it a stupid Italian thing?

PS I've a Ducati 998. This never happened on my busa! When's the damn new one coming out???!!!!
The PP 2CT has been out ie 2 compound. i love them. Re your chicken strip maybe coz these tyres are capable of more of an angle then others, research their website, you can lean these more degrees, maybe thats why you dont have chicken strips.
[Image: SigPic100.jpg] Copper/Silver - The original, the rest are just copies.
I had the front to the edge and the back only just, but I was running a very soft Shinko on the front and a Diablo on the back.

Could it be a very low tyre pressure on the front?
Shinkos on the front, March 2007

[Image: Panscookedtyres2.jpg]

[Image: Panscookedtyres.jpg]

Now with Bridgestone 002's front and back the front has 1mm chicken strip and rear is like this

[Image: RATSchunder2250507.jpg]
hey pan, how do you find the 002's? are they good? i am thinking of trying them next...
I think Shinkos are a much flatter profile than sports tyres. That is why they are preferred by the drag community and why I won't put them on for the twistie stuff.

You seem to have no problems on track days though Pan, so maybe they would be ok after all.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
sticky Pan.
How many k's out of those?
3,000?
lol
Pan
Do you know which softness compound they are? apparently there are several available to use, depends on temp.

My brand new rear shinko profile has a very gradual arc through the centre section, then a corner about an inch from the edge and flat out to the edge.
[Image: zzzCustom.jpg]
"par excellence"
The shinko 200 are a rounded profile wheras the 190 are flat , i brought a 200 and wish i had the 190 again.
funny thing is my last good times on the roadbike were on a pilot power, there just a bit expensive for wearing out at the track.
Tag 13 Wrote:hey pan,  how do you find the 002's? are they good? i am thinking of trying them next...

Absolutely love them on the track and the road! Pi_thumbsup
Feel more confident than ever, though I don't push much and they don't get nearly as hot on the road.
BUSGO Wrote:I think Shinkos are a much flatter profile than sports tyres. That is why they are preferred by the drag community and why I won't put them on for the twistie stuff.

You seem to have no problems on track days though Pan, so maybe they would be ok after all.

I never took the Shinko rear out on a track day, but I imagine it wouldn't tip in as easily. They are quite a flat profile and were designed for the drags. The front is very sticky though and I did 2 track days on it after doing 6000kms on them... and it stuck like glue Pi_thumbsup Pi_thumbsup

The front and the rear were excellent on the road. They are very soft and sticky and I wouldn't hesitate getting another pair.

The one thing I'd ask you to remember, when looking up info on forums here and around the world about Shinkos, is that the only bad things you ever read about Shinkos are from people that have never tried them!!!
Violin
Maj Wrote:The shinko 200 are a rounded profile wheras the 190 are flat , i brought a 200 and wish i had the 190 again.
funny thing is my last good times on the roadbike were on a pilot power, there just a bit expensive for wearing out at the track.

I wasn't even told there was a 200. I had the 190 on a spare rear wheel, and I compared it to the Bridgestone 020 200. The 190 was actually wider!!! Can't imagine how you'd fit a 200 Shinko in the Busa swingarm... Confused ...though you did say the 200 Shinko was rounded.
DjPete Wrote:sticky Pan.
How many k's out of those?
3,000?
lol

It's cheaper to change tyres that keep the bike upright, than pay for re-sprays and repairs and boast about the longevity of a tyre imho.

I've been told I should get 10,000km out of the front and 5-6000 out of the rear, though I ride like a sissy on the road and always seem to get much more than people suggest I will.

I'll let you know...
Gnarbunkle99 Wrote:Pan
Do you know which softness compound they are? apparently there are several available to use, depends on temp.

My brand new rear shinko profile has a very gradual arc through the centre section, then a corner about an inch from the edge and flat out to the edge.

Do you mean the 002's or the Shinkos?

The 002's are the "street", not the grade 3 or 4 (or whatever those super soft ones are).

The Shinkos were the SS, I think.
The Busa will have a % in front end push, always. It just depends how it has as to what tyre u put on the front. I may experience and what i have been told is to put the softess front on at all times and that is what i do,, i have a SC1 Super Corser and a SC2 rear,out of a few turns at the creek the front just gets up and stays a little ,but i have fitted a Ohlins damper on the front,,best thing i have done for a while.