New tyres
Hey guys, I've worn through my pilot powers and am looking to chuck something new on. I thought the pilot's were quite good in terms of grip level etc but I could do with more feedback. I also was rather unimpressed with the longevity of the tyre. Got less than 4000km mostly doing commuting, irregular spirited rides, good pressures and never being too erratic with the throttle.

Since i'm in canberra and its getting colder as well I want plenty of grip on the icy mornings. I still want a sport tyre, how are the Pilot sport HPX tyres? I'm looking at either Avon's, Michelin, or possibly Pirellis? i'm not really fussed with super quick tip in either, just want the balanced & big ass grip. Oh and money is no object...lol

Don't want to start any debates here, but in my circumstances, if anyone has a good recommendation its most appreciated.
Metzeller Sportec M3 or Roadtec Z6.
Both give great road grip and good life.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
Dont go for the HPX unless it's just the rear. My front gave only average feadback and a harsh ride, the rear on the other hand is fine and has taken a shit load of abuse.

I think I would go for the M3's judging from what I have seen, they will likely be my next set.
I have just finished the Pirelli diablo corsa rear - can't say enough about it!! you want good tyres - grab them - however the front I am running the new diablo corsa 3's & the rear will be replaced with a corsa 3 this wednesday as well.

With the normal diablo corsa - I have gotten just over 7,000km out of the rear - very happy with that!!
Thanks guys. Well to clear things up a little, the last set was a dunlop qualifier on the front & a pilot power on the back which was how I bought the bike.

I thought that was a little screwed up, but how about a hpx 200 on the back and possibly a pilot/diablo or something on the front. I hear so many mixed opinions on those Metzeler tyres, am i missing the bigger picture or something, are the M3's much better than the M1's?

:?
The M1s are an older tyre and softer. They don't cut it on the highway for distance.
You should expect about 9 or 10,000 out of a set of M3s and only about 5 if you are lucky on M1s.
The M3s give nothing away in the grip department.
Regards BUSGO
faaark, my pilot power lasted 12+k on rear, front had some left but changed both to PP 2CT thats 2 compound. hear new corsa 3's worth checking out. Manufacturers are now going for dual compounds as these 3's are I believe.
[Image: SigPic100.jpg] Copper/Silver - The original, the rest are just copies.
damn, wouldn't mind a set of those new 2ct's...but noone in canberra reckons they can get them.....whats the go! 20% softer on the sides sounds like my kinda tyre.....
2CTs are a nice tyre. They apparently have a harder centre or some sort of nerd stuff to reduce wear. I put a set on before Jindy and they are still going well. You have plenty of options with a ton of endorsements for each one. I don't think whoever you spoke too in the ACT is trying to hard. Did he even pick up a phone?
bridestone 012ss or 002 street are pretty good.Pirelli supercorsa sc2 or street.Hpx are too hard unless you like coming out of corners sideways.metzeler m1 and pirelli diablo are from the same factory,they move around alot coming into corners.Pilot powers(originals) have very good grip and stuff all feel.
012ss are not made anymore although there maybe some old stock around in shops,but im finding the 002s brilliant.
[Image: CA2BIZED.jpg] BACK IN BLACK!!!
spamanglen, since you seem to have tried a vast range of the tyres on the market, out of ones you mentioned, assuming price & tyre life is not a huge issue, which one would you recommend. I can attest to a somewhat lack of feel with the pilot powers, very please with grip though, i'm always trying different pressures everytime I ride. Will be avoiding the HPX after reading similiar comments regarding grip levels from other people.

So how about either the Pirelli Supercorsa sc2 or as rocket rod suggested, the Bridgestone 002's? I'm one of those people that loves ultimate feedback so if the Pirelli's are more suited to aggressive riding, they could be my next tyres.

Also, is it just me that thinks the suzuki recommended 42psi is WAY too skatey for most tyres other than the original bridgestones. I know rider weight can come into play as well (eg big solo, or pillion) but I ran the pilots down at 34/36 or so for most occasions as the grip felt sensational after 10-15 mins and they warmed fairly quickly.

Also noticing that on the track they run as low as 30 or so (better road surface ofcourse), I thought the generic 34/36 was quite a good base set of pressures? Can you guys attest to this?

Thanks guys,
If your tyre guy isn't picking up the phone (ACTION anyone?) give Rick Miller a call. He is under R Miller in Holder. He can get anything you want and he balances them properly. We can talk on Thursday.

HEIDI xxx
Yer, Rick sounds like the go, think i'll give him a yell, Monyx recommended him to me as well. Also Heidi, did you figure out why your bike was bottoming out on Max's driveway? was it the tyre pressures or have you tried socking down the preload a bit more now?

Heidi1 Wrote:If your tyre guy isn't picking up the phone (ACTION anyone?) give Rick Miller a call.  He is under R Miller in Holder.  He can get anything you want and he balances them properly.  We can talk on Thursday.

HEIDI xxx
Josh,
If you don't run your busa tyres on the road at 40 or 42 psi you will wear them out very fast.

You won't get very good mileage out of SC2's or 002's either. Expect maybe 4 or 5 thousand Ks.
Unless you are doing trackwork, I suggest you run good sport tourer tyres at the correct pressure.
You won't be dissappointed.
Regards BUSGO