2001 Model
Just been out putting some K's on a 2001 model. To be honest, the difference between it and a 1999 or 2000 is minimal; about the same as the difference between a 99 and a 2000.
The 2001 definitely shifts better than either of the previous models. There have been some more changes made to the transmission this year that allows the Busa to shift like a GSX-R.
While the speedo does not show 300 (part of a European agreement) the bike will definitely reach that figure. The so called "restriction" will only knock about 5 kph off the top speed.
As has been reported earlier, the subframe is steel and is painted black. The oil damped CCT is fitted. The fuel pump is mounted inside the tank the same as the GSX-R750.(No more fuel spills when removing or lifting the tank).
We also weighed a fully wet GSX-R1000 and a GSX-R600 the other day. The 1000 is 6 kg heavier. So I guess it is only a matter of another three months of having the fastest production bike. That is if you leave your Busa standard.
GSXR 1000 fastest production bike?? Since when? Every yank board I go to is saying that it is good for 290kph, that leaves it about 15 -20 kph short? But it might be quicker
over the 1/4 perhaps.
thanks for the 2001 info jp,,

how is the 'restriction' applied ?? and are most of the major components interchangeable with the previous model?

cheers
les
The factory have not made it easy but removal will be cheap, although I doubt whether it is worth the effort to get that last 5 kph.
The ECU's are different as is the wiring to the ECU so it will not run with a 1999 or 2000 ECU. The instruments are not interchangeable either. If you're determined to do it though all that needs to be done is to not let the ECU know when it is in sixth; a simple change to the GPS.
and I guess with the aftermarket speedo plates in various colors you could change them to read the old 340 and have a yellow box to make sure speedo is correct.

Good to hear the gearchange of the 2001 is better, what did they do to improve it if anything? Also heard some countries may be getting a 2001 in the copper color, can you confirm JP either way, coz I still love the 'ol copper original.
The male engaging dogs are narrower so that they will more easily match with a driven gear.
The only colours I have seen are the blue/silver, red/grey and black /grey but there are probably more.
G'day JP,

How can you sit back and tease us all with your stories of running in new bikes. Green I am. Do you really enjoy this sort of torture? I don't. One day I'll own a 1000.

Regards Col