black lines of TERROR
I have been wanting to vent my spleen about this for a long time, as well as warn other riders, so here goes...

I don't know if it is the same in other states but here in Brisvegas et al the councils have been using long black lines of tar to fix up our crappy roads. The lines - about 1-2 inches wide, run along the length of the road for up to about 100m in length and are often grouped together to form a large rectangle type pattern, and are often found on corners.

The problem with these things is that the lines are slightly raised and when wet are like ICE. Further, in the wet - especially when it is dark, they are impossible to see.

The other night, for the SECOND time, I nearly threw the bike down the highway, in heavy traffic. The first time I lost the front doing about 90kmh in the wet going around a very slight right bend in the highway - only kept the thing up by jamming my feet into the ground as a reflex. On the second occasion, I lost the rear big time - same speed, same very slight bend, which nearly ended up in a lovely high side in front of a semi.

All this comes down to is the councils thinking the only things on the road have at least 4 wheels. All they would have to do is add a bit of grit to the tar mix, or stop doing it all together. I have writen to the Bris City Council about this and told them that they are now 'on notice' about the problem and if I, or anyone I know, goes down on these black lines, they will find themselves in court.

Okay, I feel better now.

Cheers,

adrian
We have them in Vic as well but don't recall seeing any that long. What about writing to the road maintenance supervisor & aquaint him/her with the problem & give them your suggestion.

If they don't play ball, tell em every plaintiff lawyer in your state in monitoring the situation closely & expectantly !!
It's called overbanding and is sposed to be laid down with a restriction on this shit per sq/metre.Dosn't matter,a 1 foot line of it in wet can be disasterous.A heap of it has been laid down on the Southern Inlet to Launceston,had the bike jumping around like a fart in a bottle,tightens the arse muscle at night in the wet.Have often thought that a dollar could be made coming up with a "low cost"(polititions love those words)grit or polymer ball type spray that could be used for the above task,and then sold to local councils,be plenty of biker support and our numbers are growing yearly so we're told.Seems I only have these thoughts when I have to deal with it,and being in Launceston no more has solved the prob for now.