Another Monster
G'day,

Since the ZX12 is now out of the way, try this one on for size.

Take one reasonably standard YZF R1, port the head, dial in the stock cams to where you want them, add a full Arrow system and throw in a set of JE pistons. Run it on optimax and a real 164 hp is the result. And no ram air as yet!

If the busa put out the same power per liter it would produce 213 hp with the same mods. Time will tell........

With the current value of R1's being poor due to the GSXR1000, It makes sence to me.

Suppose I'll be shot to bits over this as well. Can't help myself.

Regards Col
I won't shoot you to bits, 'cause I reckon you're right. In it's class, the R1 would have to be the best value (not necessarily the best bike, but given current pricing...)

Rumour is that Honda are going to try and get into the fray with a bit more work on the Blade...
G'day Col'
Sounds awesome but I reckon it's still a little bit horses for courses. Around a tight track, I have no doubt the R1, ridden well, would take some beating. However, given open roads, long sweepers etc, the torque of the old 'Bus' should have the goods.
Still, like the last z12 string, this makes upgrades bloody tempting.
Cheers.
Frost'
Now don't tell me that you beleive a Hayabusa can beat an R1 in racetrack or tight twisty stuff do ya?
If you need reference on this refer Formula Extreme ever seen a Hayabusa WIN? even at Bathurst they got their arses kicked ! The Hayabusa is a SPORTS-TOURER not a full on sportsbike.Its too friggen heavy for starters,underbraked. It's FAST Yeah but thats all. It's only a GSX it's not a GSXR. If ya wanna do it in the tight stuff, park the Bus and get out the GSXR.

Sorry but it's true.............
No reference was made to a Hayabusa beating an R1 on a tight race track, but to the Hayabusa having the odds on the open roads and long sweepers, due to its greater torque.
Try reading it again Rocketman...
Mine has a R on it,its a gsx1300r must be a special model as i say its awesome. I blew the local postie today and he thanked me lots Ha Ha mmmmmmmmmmmmmm I love guys in tight leathers with big bags. BBB
Point taken Ardvark,
Busabadboy, As for the special model they all have "R's" on them. they just aint GSXR's they are GSX1300R"s as in the GSX family.... closer relation to the GSX750 than to the GSXR.
I'm not knockin the Bus....I luv em too.
Any way if 160 odd HP is available from a modded R1 you had better fit 2 x steering dampers and get a longer chain to run maximum wheelbase on the sucker !!
Check today's AMCN read about Gilesies GSXR1000 that you or I can build...now we are talking FAST
stable and quick as all buggery through the twisties.
Rocketman,
Your right it is a sports tourer. Like I said, it depends on what suits you. I have had the Bus at the creek and done ok. On the other hand, I've ridden for 8 hrs and not got off a cripple. Even had the wife on the back with luggage for a weekend away. As for torque, being able to accelerate cleanly from 1500 rpm up hill with two up can't be done by every bike on the road. If I wasn't 6'2" and 110kgs and thought I could fit on an R1, I might have considered it. But I gotta say, I made the right choice. Seems like all these others realise the Bus is the benchmark and are trying desperately to catch up..ha..ha...
p.s. Bloody Col', polarised opinion....again...
Frost' (G'day Col'!!)
G'day,

I still think the Busa is the bike to have when all round riding is the major issue. It is simply the best all round bike I've ever riden.

If life was perfect, in my shead not only would there be the XR8 but a Busa, an R1 and a GSXR1000. All of them hotrodded to hell. You see I've never owned a stock vehicle. On a fine day the Busa would come out just so I could scare the hell out of myself with outright speed, If it were a ride day then the GSXR, just to let me know I'm mortal. And for the R1, lets just say it gets the juices pumping with it's antics. As for the XR8, well wet days have their uses.

Regards Col

if you is dreamin already, what about a customised real mean mono wheeling twin like a real hot tlr or vtr??

cheers
les
You can't beat a big block for the wet and for humiliating little 351s.
Les,

A TLR would be fun but a R1 or GSXR would be even better. However i see your point, it could be fun if you got the TLR to about 155 hp.

JP, you had trouble driving the XE with the big block in a straight line when it was dry! Please tell me how will the Busa go in the wet with a bag full of power?

Regards Col
hi col,,

i didn't mean a twin 'instead of' - i meant ALSO,,,

and maybe jp is talkin a 351 mounted in a busa.. now that could be fun, hey?

cheers
les
They dont handle with the horsepower they have, and you want to give them more Col!
PS. your up late, has Julia kicked you out of bed again?
JUST A QUICK NOTE ABOUT R1`S AS I USED TO OWN ONE BEFORE I BOUGHT MY BUSA.THERE IS NO WAY A BUSA IS GOING TO BEAT A R1 AROUND THE RACE TRACK OR TIGHT WINDY ROADS AS THE R1 IS A FAR SUPERIOR HANDLING BIKE THAN THE BUSA ESPECIALLY WITH TWO RIDER`S OF EQUAL ABILITY. THE ONLY PLACE THE BUSA IS GOING TO BE ANY BETTER IS IN WIDE OPEN SWEEPING ROADS AND STRAIGHT LINE DRAGS AND TWO UP RIDIDNG.
REGARDS
BUSA