TRE: good buy?
What do you guy's think good buy?

www.bcomponents.com.au/pr...91&CID=108
Stock,
See the recent thread titled "unrestricting the bus" for a full discussion on TREs.

I have just fitted one and think it is great.
good if it's a "smart" if it's not
FF1
I would like to get a TRE. Do we know anyone in Sydney that sells them, as I like to deal face to face with people.

I would also consider a used one from a trusted member here.
HI,
Have you had a look at ebay.com (USA). Search for TRE Timing retard eliminators. There are a few people selling them and I suspect some Aus blokes are buying and reselling at upped prices.
Seems to be two types standard and auto depending on seller. Auto is supposed to have an inbuilt chip that eliminates need for fuel or idle speed adjustment,although some say just plug in no problems.
I got one from Fuel Moto(which I am going to fit into my GSXR 1000) and there is a dealer called Dano's who sell for around $30 U.S plus postage. about $8.00. Cost me around $50 Aus. Others advertised up to around $80 U.S.
Traders have a good reputation so it is pretty safe and arrive in about 7 to 10 days. If you are not familiar with ebay you can bid and take your chances or buy outright at a set price.
Also found some on U.K Ebay but could not get any reply from sellers.
Can someone please explain the idle problems with a NON SMART TRE?

I know that a standard TRE increases idle speed in neutral when the clutch is engaged but what other issues are there supposed to be?

Regards Busgo
I cant and wont trade over the net, first off I don’t have a credit card and second I don’t want a credit card . Plus I like to walk up to a shop front just call me old fashioned.

But thanks for the reply just the same.
Busgo from what I have read so far it can make the bike idle ruff and hot if you use a non smart TRE
the idle problems come from a tre not of the "smart" variety will tell the ecu (electronic control unit or engine computer) that it is constantly in 5th gear even when in neutral hence the ecu fuels up to allow for the increased air pressure due to the ram air ducts whereas the smart units will only affect the ecu signal when it is in gear. some of the smart ones also dont just rely on one value to send but can change values generaly giving a value equal to 4th gear for position 1st through to 4th and then a vallue equal to 5th gear for positions 5th and 6th. this has the advantage of using the 4th gear ecu map for the lower gear positions (strongest map for mid range) then using 5th gear for 5th and 6th positions were the ecu fuels up to allow for ram air but avoiding the speed restriction

Tom "No Fear" Just means you aint goin quick enough yet !!!!!
I would be carefull when purchasing a Smart TRE off Ebay.As the one's that I have seen that claim they are smart, are actually a 50cent resistor with plugs that fit inline. If you look carefully at the pics you will see one type joins all three wires to a 6.8k Ohm resitor for 5th gear map or a 15k ohm resistor for 6th gear map and the other one loops the pink wire on your bike through a resistor and feeds it into the black wire. So if they are so SMART then which one is the smart one!

So unless it has a big box hanging off it and not just a resistor then it is probably a Smart one!

I am going to make my own this week and I will let you know how I go, as they are selling them for $60 up when you can do it your self for under $5.

Cheers Fords Edited by: Fords01 at: 10/6/06 1:47 pm
Or you could get fair dinkum and get the geartronics gear indicator.

It does all of the above and if you've got the balls you will run the tacho to red line in 6th gear. (Well 10 500 revs)

Get fair dinkum

Check the link.

What gear am I in?

Or not........................ Edited by: GDYUP  at: 10/6/06 8:47 pm