Let there be light
RIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <i></i>
??????????

Are you implying that nothing can be better than halogen lights, or just can't comprehend someone wanting to spend money on something other than go-faster stuff?

From previous posts, I get the impression that there is some level of interest in these products.

I believe the busa has enough power, but the headlight (however good people believe) is relatively poor. Especially in rural driving at 100+ clicks. Beam spread is good, but my maglite projects further and lights up more. If i could fit driving lights, I would. Just bought some bush, so consider this a worthwhile investment.
Peter Altas
BUSA-1<i></i>
Peter i'm sure these are excellent lights,but the bit i can't understand is this is only a low beam replacement light,how the hell is that gonna help you in country night riding Shouldn't they be a high beam replacement??????? <i></i>
Can only go by what I've heard and it seems to make a big difference. High beam would be good too, but I don't think anyone has made a kit for HB3 type yet. And isn't there an adjustment to alter the headlight aiming anyway? (I hope).

Most other sites I've seen (US mostly) mention them as being worthwhile. As I can't go and see anyone with one, maybe I can be the aussie guinnea pig (so to speak) so we can all learn from my (hopefully not) mistakes.

Might try and see if I can get some sort of money-back guarantee on a trial basis first, eh.

PS. All the mercs / BMW's around here have them as oem, so they can't be too bad, and more (better quality) light must equal better night vision.
Peter Altas
BUSA-1<i></i>
The point is its still only a low beam light and no matter how bright or strong it is , it is only designed to throw a limited distance so as not to blind cars travelling in the opposite direction.It will not have the penertration of a high beam,so your gonna spend $600-700 on a low beam light?Think how many tires you could get!Errr thats about 3,bad example Buying tires not lights,Rod <i></i>
OOPS! Haven't checked this thread in quite a while.

I have had my HID light for some time, although it's still in the box. The same guy supplied me with a top gun undertail with LED lights, and being no electrician, it's taken me this long just to fit that.

The HID kit he supplies comes with a ballast and looks easy enough to fit I haven't seen any complaints from anyone who has bought one from this guy, (iceman on SH.ORG), but plenty of praise. Anyone who knows what they're doing want to fit it for me? Otherwise you'll have to wait a couple of months for a report.

About it being a low beam, apparently it makes the high beam useless, and a lot of the guys who have them change the high beam for a yellow bulb. They're then calling this their fog light.

<i></i>
What so you blind everybody else around town,wtf? <i></i>
Er... no, that would be a high beam. The whole point is that they reach further into the night without blinding others.

Anyone fitting one, I would suggest fitting an on/off switch, so that you can switch it off before starting the bike. Others on here will be able to explain better than I can, but generally they draw a lot of power on start up, then use a hell of a lot less than standard once on. Something like that.

If you live in the country on dark roads, and you sit behind one of these lights to see what they're like, you'll want one.

<i></i>
Throwdown, if you're in melbourne, I'll come round and fit it for you for nothing just so I can check it out. I'm very handy with electricals and wouldn't have any problems.

As for the start-up power usage, they use high voltage, not high power (big difference). The ballast needs to generate a spark of around 20,000 volts to get the arc, then drops to 90 volts to maintain it, and it only takes a second. The older generation ones took around 20 seconds to get to the maintaining stage. They only draw 35 Watts too, as opposed to your current 55 W globe.

Mounting it is a piece of piss. If you got a full H7 kit, the original loom should unplug from the oem globe and plug into the input of the ballast. Then the high voltage output of the ballast plugs into the new globe. thats it. the manufacturer recommends cable tying the ballast to something, and adding some vibration absorbant material (sponge/foam/carpet, etc) between the ballast and solid metal surfaces.

If you want me to do the fitting, call me on 0438171878 and we'll tee something up. Would love to see the comparison on a long dark road.

Either way, I will be getting one. If I don't like it, it will become a search light for rabbiting.
Peter Altas
BUSA-1<i></i>
Unfortunately I am in Sydney. Check out the HID stuff on Suzukihayabusa.org. Do a search. There are lots of photos there. Icemann's set up involves just a little more installing, but not much, and at some $200 cheaper too. <i></i>
Would rather go local product... better after sales service and warranty. If you ever come to melb, drop in and i'll do it for ya.
Peter Altas
BUSA-1<i></i>
Just visited the USA site and their HID conversion kit seems much better than the local product (designed and suited kit for the 'Busa, rather than the local car driving light conversion model). And at US$225 plus postage, with the great aussie dollar at the moment, it will come in at around the $400 mark. Looking good.

Waiting on a reply from the US supplier (Iceman)
Peter Altas
BUSA-1<i></i>
Re. your HID blinding oncoming road users, I just got this advice from Icey that might explain it, (I'm about to fit mine soon).

He says that there is a painted silver strip on one side of the bulb. This has to be horizontal and above the bulb as you look into the lens. That points the beam downwards onto the road. Check yours out. It would never have occurred to me.

Don't forget to clean with alcohol. <i></i>
Made this mistake initially, and has been corrected. I think my problem is in the aiming, but stuff it, I like it the way it is.

And how can a copper argue the aiming issue? if we really want to we're able to direct the headlight a good 10 degrees either way just by adjusting the throttle. Add to this the shitty roads and then the cornering angle, hills etc and i'd still be blinding people even if the thing was aimed at the ground.

Either way, I'm happy with it and wouldn't ride without one now.
Peter Altas
BUSA-1<i></i>