Air Filter
Any one got views of aftermarket filters vs Suzuki item. ie K&N type? <i></i>
Ive got BMC Race (red top) great filter and the only one I reccomend. Does add HP as far as I know perhaps only 2 tho. <i></i>
I was told the cotton filters clog more slowly so the bike holds it mapped tune for longer.If you put a brand new filter and a k&n,bmc,dna etc in the bike i doubt you,d see 2hp.Mine was run with a dirty stock filter and no filter and there was about 3hp difference(to check the change in air fuel ratio).So either change the stock one regularly or use a cotton filter provided you don,t over oil it. Glenn the Spa Man<i></i>
If a cotton filter clogs slower where is the dirt going ???

I'm in a rural area and several years ago put an aftermarket filter in my Daytona595, afterwards there was always a layer of fine dust inside the clean side of the airbox, Didn't take long to figure out the filter was fitted correctly and oiled properly but in allowing more airflow compromised cleanliness ... I put the std filter back. <i></i>
You gotta hand it too those farmers,they spot common sense a mile away.As the cotton and paper filters have approx the same amount of pleats(hence frontal surface area) if one clogs sooner it would have to be finer right?I think the cotton filter manufacturers argue that the oil catches the dirt allowing larger gauze size to flow more air.Maj just dissproved that theory. Glenn the Spa Man<i></i>
I have an K&N its great I only clean it about once a year more so its more of a de-bug, BMC is just as good if not better
It breaths heaps better than the the stock one
You can tell from the time you start it up
I think the stock one restricts it big time but then I have also done the air box mod, just the sound of the exhaust will tell you.
Cheers Robert
Aren't all 'busas Copper, the others are just all poor slow copies !!!!!<i></i>
+1 Maj ...............save ya money stick to stock there is only one better type filter (efficient) than paper and thats the old "oil bath" type fx/fj holden era ..............remember them Rev ?
FF1 <i></i>
how old are you really pete fx/fj . thats old <i></i>
Bear,
I fitted a K&N about a year ago and have cleaned it once since. Like Simmo said, it is more of a bug removal exercise than a real clean. But also if you ride a lot of dirt then I'd stick to the OEM because it does have better filtering.

The HP differences cannot be measured properly for an air filter on a ram induction bike without air being pushed through it at speed but also like Simmo, I reckon there is more power and quicker response at the throttle with a K&N or BMC.

Rgds BUSGO

"TAKE MY ADVICE"
I'm not using it anyway!<i></i>
Really .....................and at what speed would you estimate one would need to go before there would be anything more than atmospheric pressure present at the filter
Tip of the day ....................save your money Correct fueling will give you more throttle response than TEN free flowing filters ............. and if you don't adjust fueling to suit it, the "free flowing" filter will probably even give you less
FF1
<i>Edited by: fasterfaster1 at: 23/7/06 8:12 pm
</i>
When i was playing with cars i use to make up a manometer on the engine side of the air filter to measure the restriction of a filter/airbox design.If a magnahelic gauge or sensitive digital gauge could log info whilst riding a good comparo can be made.As busgo said response is the biggest noticeable difference with a higher flowing filter,you,d never pick the hp difference. <i></i>
FFI I would love you to tune my bike sometime if I ever get a chance to get down south sometime I will be around for sure, as I know you know your stuff

All I can say when I did my air box mod and filter & exhaust it changed my my bike from a snail (well sort of) to a fire breathing dragon

ps Copper Plated Busa's Rules

Cheers Robert
Aren't all 'busas Copper, the others are just all poor slow copies !!!!!<i></i>
pleasure Simmo
you will find the air box and losing 10kg of weight is the factor there. Get it mapped up and crispness of throttle will be even better. Value for dollars spent is an issue for me, as far to many flog shit that just does nothing.
FF1 <i></i>
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I don't do lots of Kms but living in WA, there is always fine dust around, even in the city, so I'll just stay with the OEM and buy themn often.
FF1, have you looked at my charts in exhaust section?
What do you think? <i></i>
Never acheived above atmospheric on the engine side of the filter but the vacuum did start to reduce above 100km,hr and at 140ks my turbo diesel would make about 0.5psi extra boost because of the better breathing due to a forward facing intake.Slight restrictions on the intake affect engines proportionally more than slight restrictions on the exhausts.All air pumps push better than they pull.Its all good just don,t do it on the road on a bike.Dyno possibly if you,re curious but i wouldn,t expect much. Glenn the Spa Man<i></i>