CUNTPUTER NERD HELP NEEDED
Hey Geeks, I just put extra H/D in as primary slave. I have original H/D as primary master ( drive c ) and DVD as secondary master ( drive d ). I set jumpers correctly and bios knows there are 2 H\D's there and 1 DVD, but I can't get windows to find primary slave. I tried repair windows installation and that did bugger all. - any idea's ? Chopper says "Harden the f*** up Australia"
am assuming H/D are on the one ribbon, i believe the d drive or burners on another ribbon. maybe swap the 2 H/d positions on same ribbon.

Control Panel/Administrative tools/computer management/disk management. see if there or if needs renaming.

am not much of a pc nerd, but thats all that comes to mind. of course jumper pins must be correctly placed in H/D.

good luck.
Quote:Control Panel/Administrative tools/computer management/disk management. see if there or if needs renaming

Got it in one Volvi - wasn't formatted, partitioned or labelled, I just found out where to allocate etc. from. Used to be easier in dos I reckon, but I don't know how to get back there anymore.

Quote:am not much of a pc nerd
Yes you are - and thanx Chopper says "Harden the f*** up Australia"
i think u both need therapy.
good to see ya got there m8ee Cheers,
Pete

Z Web World
Mobile Dj, Web Design,Photography

"When you're feelin' down
When you feel
You need to get away
You can just fly away

I feel the world
Is going insane
If you feel the sun
You can just fly away."

Jean Claude Ades - Fly Away 2006 ...Try it.
Yeah me too, means I can work all day now. I lost 3 years data from work on a maxtor 600Gb external hard drive the other day. Most of it was backed up on other drives at work, but about 50 cd's worth has to be copied back off cd.

I am half pissed, and the air conditioner is cranking, beats going outside in Brisbane today anyhow.

I am glad I have a dual core processor, so I can easily copy shit and keep an eye on you blokes at the same time. Chopper says "Harden the f*** up Australia"
u prob could recover all that from the external not hard prob take about 4 hrs of scanning with recov softwre Cheers,
Pete

Z Web World

When you feel
You need to get away
You can just fly away

I feel the world
Is going insane
If you feel the sun
You can just fly away."

tried that, it went to 2 recovery labs, buth quoted $2500 and neither could do it when they tried - damaged platters and data was too messy to get back apparently Chopper says "Harden the f*** up Australia"
well there are plenty of programs that do recover quite quickly..no need to take it anywhere.
Sing out if u wanna try but sounds like u may be over it now...lol Cheers,
Pete

Z Web World

When you feel
You need to get away
You can just fly away

I feel the world
Is going insane
If you feel the sun
You can just fly away."

thanx 4 offer but I'll be finished this arvo, so the kiddies at work can have their precious files on mon. Chopper says "Harden the f*** up Australia"
Cheers,
Pete

Z Web World

When you feel
You need to get away
You can just fly away

I feel the world
Is going insane
If you feel the sun
You can just fly away."

The best program ever invented could never recover from a crashed hard drive Pete.
A crash being where the heads contact the disc surface and scrape all the 1's and 0's off.

Disc recovery companies often claim to be able to recover data but I'm yet to see it happen.
They are good at quoting to do it and then just claim some labour expenses when they can't deliver.
It's a sham.

You can recover a disc that has a faulty disc controller but not a head crashed platter.
Rgds BUSGO

"TAKE MY ADVICE"
I'm not using it anyway!
agree there Busgo.
Have u seen many go that way though? Cheers,
Pete

Z Web World

When you feel
You need to get away
You can just fly away

I feel the world
Is going insane
If you feel the sun
You can just fly away."

Head crashes....? tons of em.
Usually caused by heat imbalance. I.E. A user takes his laptop out of a hot car into a cold office and fires it up or visa versa.
You should always allow at least 30 minutes when moving between hot and cold environments before firing up a HDD to allow for the metal to expand or contract.
We are talking about superfine tolerances in there.

Other head crashes can be caused by severe knocks such as dropping a PC. Also power surges used to cause the heads to bounce but more tolerance is built into them these days.

Of course we are now heading into the realms of larger static memory drives and chip banks that don't have moving heads.
They are simply succeptable to power spikes.

Failed disc controllers are more common than head crashes.
They can cause mutltple discs to fail as well.

Some hard drive failures are even caused by mobile phone signals getting mixed up in the data transfer process.

You may have heard radios or telephones gurgling away when a digital phone rings or is about to ring nearby. These signals sometimes transmit on the same wavelength as a cpu and can interrupt the process. Poorly shielded PCs should be at least 1 metre away from digital phone handsets.

There ya go. A free lesson in PC dynamics.

Rgds BUSGO

"TAKE MY ADVICE"
I'm not using it anyway!