Plumbing advice needed
Those of you who know me, know I like to give things a red hot try before I call in the experts. Usually I don't succeed, but I have a LOVELY time giving things a go and I often either learn something or take bark off.

My loo is not refilling. I'm sure once I get into the cistern, I'll be able to poke around in there and work something out. I can't get the damn lid off!! What happened to those old-fashioned plastic cisterns where you just lifted the lid?

Attached is a photo of the flush mechanism which I will have to remove to lift the lid on the cistern. So far I have tried to turn the ring counter-clockwise (that doesn't work), and I've pushed the buttons down and there is no little screw holding the mechanism in. There is also no latch of any kind on the lid.

I'm kinda stumped..... any suggestions?

Push down on the smaller of the two flush buttons and you'll see that the larger one has a cutout into which a flat-bladed screwdriver fits. Lever that large button up and then unscrew the chrome ring.
"casting dispersions on others credability." And their illiteracy.
Well THAT sounds promising!!!!

Back in a sec!

WHOAH! Aren't you the CLEVEREST person I know!! You were right! That option did not turn up on google. Hope I haven't busted something trying to turn the ring counter-clockwise. Now to fix the loo. I'll tell you how I go.

SEE!! This is how you learn stuff.

Ok, next issue, I don't know what I'm looking for (but I gave everything a jiggle). I'll go to howstuffworks and see if I can get me a diagram.

I DON'T WANT TO STICK MY HAND IN THERE!!!!!!!!!! I've given everything a poke with the kitchen tongs, I think it is time to roll up my sleeves. This is just wrong. I don't CARE if it is clean water, it is WRONG!

Oh, and I must remember to buy new tongs.
Hides I'd say it's your float sticking.there's an arm at the top that go's across and has a float attached underneath it. If the water is empty and you taps turned on and this float is up the top and not down the bottom, give it a a push down and water should start filling. It will be binding or have a bit of crap from hard water stopping it from being free somewhere
I thought that is what it would be too, but there has been a LOT of twiddling with the float. The cistern is full. I've played with the flush valve, the filler valve and the filler float, but it doesn't seem to be any of those things (and the tongs are now in the BIN). I think it is something in the actual button mechanism, but there is a BIG chance I am wrong.

Despite all solid attempt, I know when I am beat. It is time to call a plumber before I actually break it worse. I'm going to watch him to see what it is, I want to know how close I got, and to see for next time.

Thanks for the advice Rainbow, without you I may have been tempted to get out the rubber mallet, which is my go-to tool when all else fails.

ALTHOUGH..... it might take a couple of days to get a plumber out... if I can get a diagram for that button thing, I could continue this game tomorrow night!

Might dig the tongs out of the bin just in case!

Take a pic of the inside (clear pic) when you are not drunk and let's see if we could resolve the problem for you...
I'm not DRUNK! I take my plumbing VERY seriously! I've used my good tool box, I've kept all the parts I've removed in the order that they were removed so I can put them back, AND I'm wearing my jeans a little low so I've got the merest HINT of butt cleavage showing. Don't you say I haven't given this my all!
http://www.ehow.com/how_7775833_increase...-tank.html
"casting dispersions on others credability." And their illiteracy.
(21-09-2011, 08:57pm)Rainbow7 Wrote: Push down on the smaller of the two flush buttons and you'll see that the larger one has a cutout into which a flat-bladed screwdriver fits. Lever that large button up and then unscrew the chrome ring.

now who the f*** pushes the small button how was we ment to find that Lol3
[Image: Resizeofbusa005.jpg] REGARDS ROD
MOBILE 0433 92 99 22
kangaroos1996@msn.com
After a good night's sleep, I have decided I gave up too quickly! I have another toilet that is exactly the same, I'm going to dismantle that and see how it works.

Thanks for the link Rainbow, that is very handy. I'll give it another bash tonight.
I had my lid off for a while to clean inside it hides and its the same as yours. I was flushing it using a big flat blade screw driver pushing the blue or yellow buttons under the lid button. Try that to see if it's your top button.
I can just see you ending up with two non working toilets!
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast
(21-09-2011, 08:57pm)Rainbow7 Wrote: Push down on the smaller of the two flush buttons and you'll see that the larger one has a cutout into which a flat-bladed screwdriver fits. Lever that large button up and then unscrew the chrome ring.

Mine was close to that
Push down the big one I think & the small one popped out some how, slid over or something maybe popped up , then there was a flat screw in there take it out and the chrome ring & top pulls off

Gees there is a lot of Pushing, Sliding, Screwing & Pulling in my directions Lol2

If its to hard sell the house & buy one that has one that works Boobies4
If it isn't sorted yet Heidi I have an ex plumber mate who may do a cashie for you to make it cheaper. He is now an ambo so he will turn up in cloths with reflective things on and the ambulance lights on if your lucky I know how much you love men in shiney cloths
Regards

Dan
You orta try having 24 toilets in your place . . . don't talk to me about bloody toilets!! Knuppel2
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .