GENII Ohlins Cartridges
Hi all,
For those of you who may be interested, i have just taken my GENII to Race Bike Services here in Adelaide, getting Ohlins Cartridges fitted to the Front end to compliment the rear Ohlins SU718 which ive had in Busa for the past 10 months.
Also getting SU718 resprung to suit me, (standard Ohlins is a little too soft for my weight).

She should be a nice Hills Scrapper/Track Day Bike when done!

Will keep you posted.
Yeah let us know how it turns out. I bought some Ohlins forks for my GenII a few months back but got stuffed about on the order so cancelled it.
I'll probably look at getting a cartridge kit soon.
Give me a break Matt , Can't get near you now .Are you & Shifu having a Whose got the most aftermarket Improvement's contest?
(Not Bling )

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
(20-08-2011, 07:21pm)Troopmaster Wrote: Hi all,
For those of you who may be interested, i have just taken my GENII to Race Bike Services here in Adelaide, getting Ohlins Cartridges fitted to the Front end to compliment the rear Ohlins SU718 which ive had in Busa for the past 10 months.
Also getting SU718 resprung to suit me, (standard Ohlins is a little too soft for my weight).

Will keep you posted.

Matt, when you were getting the rear shock, didint they asked you for all the detaild to get the correct spring rate? They did when I was getting it. You might give them a call as that new spring will not be cheap. What was the damage for the cartridges and which ones did you get?
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
Gday BikerBoy; Im told theres no huge difference between Cartridges and replacement Forks, (apart from the obvious), i almost bought a set of FGRT's but was assured by our Suspension Guru here that Cartridges were going to do the same job at a much cheaper price.
Lets face it, having a set of Ohlins Forks hanging off of ya Front End would be nice, and when you pull up for a coffee somewhere other Riders can drool or chat about the Busa with an Ohlins Front End, but your not going to see em as your skooting along, so i will keep the money in my pocket thanks! Very Happy

Greeny; I thought you always said GENI's were Faster than GENII's?? Lol2

Shifu; How ya going?
Weight for Springs, (front and rear) is to be calculated with all accesories; ie Helmet, Leathers etc, was away working when i put the order in, so wasnt able to get quite the rite spring.....mind you the Spring on the SU718 is way better than the Standard Unit, but in fitting the Shock it pointed out the "inadequacies" of the Front End for me in Standard Form.

Will keep you all posted, as we know, there are a couple of Suspension Dudes here in Adel, i have some good reasons for going to Race Bike Services, if your interested as to why ive chosen RBS I will explain face to face someday instead of typing it all down here! Very Happy

Nice day here today.....19 Degrees.......mite have to settle for a Blast on the "EF" today, (at least she has all of her Ohlins sorted)! (Rear Ohlins Shock and Cartridges on her aswell) Pi_thumbsup
Good job on the Ohlins.Drool

Very,very,very JEALOUS
(21-08-2011, 08:30am)Troopmaster Wrote: Gday BikerBoy; Im told theres no huge difference between Cartridges and replacement Forks, (apart from the obvious), i almost bought a set of FGRT's but was assured by our Suspension Guru here that Cartridges were going to do the same job at a much cheaper price.
Lets face it, having a set of Ohlins Forks hanging off of ya Front End would be nice, and when you pull up for a coffee somewhere other Riders can drool or chat about the Busa with an Ohlins Front End, but your not going to see em as your skooting along, so i will keep the money in my pocket thanks! Very Happy

Thanks for tip.Pi_thumbsup
If the kit is going to perform the same as a full replacement, then I'd prefer to keep my stock forks and spend the money saved on more track time.....unless they start serving latte's in Pit Lane Coffee
Greeny; I thought you always said GENI's were Faster than GENII's??

Only the 99-2000 mate,Top speed, as their not restricted.So if the gen 2 is stock it will pull up 13 km short, 298compared to 311 .

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
(21-08-2011, 01:09am)Shifu Wrote:
(20-08-2011, 07:21pm)Troopmaster Wrote: Hi all,

Will keep you posted.

Matt, when you were getting the rear shock, didint they asked you for all the detaild to get the correct spring rate? They did when I was getting it. You might give them a call as that new spring will not be cheap. What was the damage for the cartridges and which ones did you get?

(21-08-2011, 04:42pm)Greeny_SA Wrote: Greeny; I thought you always said GENI's were Faster than GENII's??

Only the 99-2000 mate,Top speed, as their not restricted.So if the gen 2 is stock it will pull up 13 km short, 298compared to 311 .

HA, Touche!! Very Happy
I wonder how many GENII's are De-restricted here in SA? Very Happy
Shifu; How ya going?
Weight for Springs, (front and rear) is to be calculated with all accesories; ie Helmet, Leathers etc, was away working when i put the order in, so wasnt able to get quite the rite spring.....mind you the Spring on the SU718 is way better than the Standard Unit, but in fitting the Shock it pointed out the "inadequacies" of the Front End for me in Standard Form.

Will keep you all posted, as we know, there are a couple of Suspension Dudes here in Adel, i have some good reasons for going to Race Bike Services, if your interested as to why ive chosen RBS I will explain face to face someday instead of typing it all down here! Very Happy

I had my original front modified by fitting the Racetech valves. It made an improvement but still far from a good, confident feel. My biggest problem is the chatter it gets on uneven surface. That fast downhill righthander on the Gorge Rd, just after reservuar going towards the city, really brings the worse of it because of that damn road repair patches. It starts skidding and drifting in mid turn bringing me way to close for comfort to that barrier. Tried adjustments up and down on the compression and rebound but it works only so far. In addition it gets pretty shaky under heavy breaking. I even thought something might be loose there, but all checks OK. Peter suggested dropping the front half an inch or so. Will try how it goes. Anyway, please give us some feedback on the Ohlins and maybe I will get a set as well to compliment the rear Yes
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
Interesting comments there Shifu as i have no such issues with my front end! Confused
Would you mind posting the part number Tony has given you.. I was told by an Ohlins distributor there is no cartridge kit available for the Gen2. Unfortunately I haven't had too many good experience with Tony which is a shame as RBS was originally established by a close friend of mine. The last set of forks he "rebuilt" for me had old oil and metal shavings in them. I'd been burnt before so thought I would strip them to check.

I wish Peter Kerr was still with us :(
(22-08-2011, 12:38am)-M- Wrote: Would you mind posting the part number Tony has given you.. I was told by an Ohlins distributor there is no cartridge kit available for the Gen2. Unfortunately I haven't had too many good experience with Tony which is a shame as RBS was originally established by a close friend of mine. The last set of forks he "rebuilt" for me had old oil and metal shavings in them. I'd been burnt before so thought I would strip them to check.

I wish Peter Kerr was still with us :(

-M-
We all miss Pete, as you know he was a great Bloke!
Will send a PM.
(22-08-2011, 12:38am)-M- Wrote: Would you mind posting the part number Tony has given you.. I was told by an Ohlins distributor there is no cartridge kit available for the Gen2.

Wouldn't mind knowing this myself.
Ohlins do not list a GenII cartridge kit and I can't find any info at all.
The only parts for the GenII front seem to be the FGRT805.
(25-08-2011, 11:13am)BikerBoy Wrote:
(22-08-2011, 12:38am)-M- Wrote: Would you mind posting the part number Tony has given you.. I was told by an Ohlins distributor there is no cartridge kit available for the Gen2.

Wouldn't mind knowing this myself.
Ohlins do not list a GenII cartridge kit and I can't find any info at all.
The only parts for the GenII front seem to be the FGRT805.

BikerBoy, you will fing K8/1000 suit im told. Very Happy