tyre pressures
Buy you're self a decent tyre pressure gauge mate,don't trust the gauges at the local servo's as I have found that they are usually incorrect.
"If you're going through hell, keep going"
i run 35 front and rear... any softer and it feels spongy... much harder and i loose confidence... rolling my pilot powers to the edge with no problem, great feel and i trust them.
IMPO Undecided
road, 40R 38 F,

Ride days thru the mountains is 38 R 35F,

It also comes down to rider weight, I weigh 122 kilos with my gear on.
I am in the 40F/42R club tried softer settings but bike seems more stable with 40/42 IMO
i run mine at 32front and 36-38 rear
100000kms in 23 months, not too bad
(06-10-2010, 03:21pm)Tristo Wrote: I don't know if there is a difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2, but my Gen 2 says to have 42psi in both, but I run 42psi front and 43psi rear just because I am a bigger bloke.

Gen 2 is 10% better all over that's the difference Biker

F 40 / R 40 set cold for me for the street
F 42 / R 35 & down to 12 for the 1/4 mile depending on the surface of the track Pi_thumbsup
finally got out on my bike again today, been about 5 weeks due to this bloody rain. It felt real heavy so I called into the closest servo, I only had 29 in the front and 35 in the rear. I put 39 in the front and 40 in the rear and it made her nice and nimble again.
I've tried different pressures - not usually through choice, then settled on 40-42 back and front, wet or dry.

Once thought my front forks or something were going when I got a wobbly ride. Stopped for air just in case and found the rear wheel with 8psi!!!! I don't recommend that - great feeling riding home with the cost of fork servicing back in my pocket.
Carpe Diem!
Iv always had 38f 40r on all my bikes, and id almost place wagers at being one of the heavyer riders on the forums
I run 38 Front and 40 Rear .. I am 93Kg
I ride Gingers creek most weekends. I am far from the quickest rider up there but it would be fair to say that I don't f*** about. Usually do at least 2 runs and have done this for quite a few years. Over the last 6 years I have been running up and down there on modern sports bikes. After lots of experimenting I have found the factory settings of 42 psi to be way too hard, even 2 up. Solo, kitted up i weigh 77 kg and on the gen 2 and the blackbird I run 35 front and 32 rear. On the gsxr 1000 I run 33 front and 30 rear cold settings. Anyone who is pushing hard and runs a higher rear pressure compared to the front may be surprised at the hot pressures at the completion of a blast. 2 up I run 36 front and 33 rear on the gen 2. Better half is about 65 kg kitted up. Have run heaps of different tyre brands and, for me, the lower pressures have worked the best. Currently running a 190/55 on the gsxr 1000 and will be fitting a 55 series on the gen 2 next. Lateral grip seems better, Paul.
It might be interesting to see what if any correlation there is between tyre pressure and tyre life.
Government certified carpet muncherDrool
(17-04-2011, 07:13pm)Belzybob Wrote: It might be interesting to see what if any correlation there is between tyre pressure and tyre life.
Just my way of looking at it, but I am far more interested in the correlation of tyre pressure and my death or the death of another. Not trying to undermine your thoughts but I firmly believe that tyre life is a very secondary factor on these high performance machines. Imo the correlation of grip versus riding style is of greater importance. The downside of lower pressures , especially on the front, is uneven tyre wear. In cross section the tyre wears egg shaped instead of maintaining the hemisperical shape. Just my thoughts, Paul.
(17-04-2011, 08:06pm)cyndemgum Wrote:
(17-04-2011, 07:13pm)Belzybob Wrote: It might be interesting to see what if any correlation there is between tyre pressure and tyre life.
Just my way of looking at it, but I am far more interested in the correlation of tyre pressure and my death or the death of another. Not trying to undermine your thoughts but I firmly believe that tyre life is a very secondary factor on these high performance machines. Imo the correlation of grip versus riding style is of greater importance. The downside of lower pressures , especially on the front, is uneven tyre wear. In cross section the tyre wears egg shaped instead of maintaining the hemisperical shape. Just my thoughts, Paul.

It was nothing to do with advocating prolonging tyre life or even shortening human ones. Simply, my curiosity is does tyre pressure (under the normal road conditions the majority ride under, not short track day bursts) have a direct relationship to tyre wear? From my observations and based on years of experience, very few riders - Busa or otherwise, ride their bikes to anywhere near the limits of either the bike or the tyres fitted.
Government certified carpet muncherDrool
(17-04-2011, 09:07pm)Belzybob Wrote:
(17-04-2011, 08:06pm)cyndemgum Wrote:
Fair call. As stated, not intending to undermine you. For everyday, street legal riding there is probably bugger all advantage in the lower pressures.

It was nothing to do with advocating prolonging tyre life or even shortening human ones. Simply, my curiosity is does tyre pressure (under the normal road conditions the majority ride under, not short track day bursts) have a direct relationship to tyre wear? From my observations and based on years of experience, very few riders - Busa or otherwise, ride their bikes to anywhere near the limits of either the bike or the tyres fitted.