Funny Story
On the way home tonight, sitting on the train it ended up as me and 1 other guy who was chatting on his mobile about getting his first bike.

His conversation ended and I butted it to explain to him that I overheard him say and correct him that Draggin jeans cost $600 and he could not afford them.

One thing led to another and we were deep in conversation about bikes and then it all came out.

He was doing the test for his L's and was telling me at first he had a problem with the bike. No matter how hard he pushed down on the accelerator nothing was happening. I was thinking WTF??? and he continued. He put his hand up to call over the instuctor who kept on seeing the brake light flashing on and off, with this guy saying he is pushing on the accelerator and the bike is not moving. The instuctor explained that he is actually applying the rear brake and that he needed to pull in the clutch and engage a gear, then use the Grip/throttle while slowly realeasing the clutch lever. Student response "are you serious, that is the clutch, I thought it was like the front and rear brake levers on my pushbike".

I was in tears of laughter, but felt the serious need to give this guy some tips in not becoming a corpse.

How he actualy passed his licence is a testament to how screwed up the system actualy is.
I only learnt to ride 6 years ago. I remember our instructors told us to find the wiper blade switch... about 6 people complained their bike was faulty because they couldn't find it!
Yeah, I always tell first time bike buyers to make sure they check the headlight fluid. People like that shouldn't get a licence. What instructor have you ever heard of failing a student?
Still better than in my day when I got my licence all you had to do was pay 50 cents (yes I know it was a while ago) and you got a leaner's permit you rode around for a couple of weeks and then you applied for you licence.

Which meant pay another $1.50 and answer a few questions about 20 I think then a tester went with you outside watched you ride away go round a corner do a u-turn come back then took you back inside you gave him yours learners and he gave you your licence.Trophy

Funny thing is the car test was much harder, it could only be taken in a manual car, (and yes mine was three on the tree) you had to do hill starts, reverse park and then they had the gaul to ask you for $3.00 this time to have your bike and car licence.

JimLol3 (feeling a bit old now)
Jim, If we're having an old competition , I got my car license at 16 & was on L's for 8 wks then full car license. At 161/2 I bought my first bike BSA 350 single 1966 model . If you had a car license there was no requirement to have a separate motorbike license. You just rode it,No lectures/tests/explanations ,nothing ,away you go . When it became a requirement to have a bike license ,everyone who had a bike registered in their name was ISSUED with a motorcycle license .The best part was, if I signed a form to say one of my mates had ridden my bike, they were also ISSUED a full motorcycle license . Fell of a shit load of pommie crap in my youth .I truly believe the new method is better than the old, but not by much really .

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
(04-02-2011, 11:31pm)Greeny_SA Wrote: Jim, If we're having an old competition , I got my car license at 16 & was on L's for 8 wks then full car license. At 161/2 I bought my first bike BSA 350 single 1966 model . If you had a car license there was no requirement to have a separate motorbike license. You just rode it,No lectures/tests/explanations ,nothing ,away you go . When it became a requirement to have a bike license ,everyone who had a bike registered in their name was ISSUED with a motorcycle license .The best part was, if I signed a form to say one of my mates had ridden my bike, they were also ISSUED a full motorcycle license . Fell of a shit load of pommie crap in my youth .I truly believe the new method is better than the old, but not by much really .

They were the day's Greeny I agree the new method is better but not by much as you say.

No competition on the old you win hands downPi_tongue and you should have had your cup of milo and be in bed at this time of the morning at you age and don't forget to take your pillsLol3 that reminds me I must take mine.

Jim
Just sittin in me rocker with my slippers & pipe,thanks for the concern mate . Never go to bed before 2 am , It's bad for you .

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
I didn't need a licence for the ARK!
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
Greeny is right, well in SA anyway. I got my motorcycle license because a mate wrote a letter saying I could ride his. I didn't own a bike at the time and never had to that stage.
Hard to believe this (being a wog from Poland). Just like that they can not leave you in the same grade at school without your consent Confused Looks like they rely on natural selection process and care only about their fees. To get my bike licence (I was already racing in the club but that did not matter!) I had to learn about mechanics and how the engine works and all the rest of it. And pass the exam. Then the road rules exam - only 100 % gives you pass. Then you were allowed to sit onthe bike and the first lesson was how to start the engine - no electric starters these days. The riding lessons had all in it, from riding in the rain and on the snowScary to carrying a passenger - 12 months course. It was free - some kommunist ideas were good Clap No learners plates no probationary licences. When you passed all this you had some idea about riding. For the same number of bikes per head we had much less accidents and fatalities than now when it is the same like here. Almost buying a licence.
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
When I did my L's for my bike, we had to do the 2 day thing where you mainly push each other around on the bikes and when you got to ride the bike you weren't allowed out of 2nd gear.

There was a brother and sister on the same course as me. The girl of the duo dropped the bike 3 times, including having it land on her, and rode into a rather large shrub......the boy didn't do much better, but both still were given a pass for their L's Idiot2
Kathy
Rear half of 2000 Red/Grey Busa Smitten
Rear half of 2010 Red BMW K1300 GT Smitten
(05-02-2011, 11:27am)BabyBusa Wrote: When I did my L's for my bike, we had to do the 2 day thing where you mainly push each other around on the bikes and when you got to ride the bike you weren't allowed out of 2nd gear.

There was a brother and sister on the same course as me. The girl of the duo dropped the bike 3 times, including having it land on her, and rode into a rather large shrub......the boy didn't do much better, but both still were given a pass for their L's Idiot2
HMMMM seems they are very lax in Sydney Kathy. When my wife attempted her L's she only ran into a fence at very low speed and they ejected her from the course on the 2nd day.
I am glad that they did because I have always feared that she has tunnel vision as a driver and that is a certian death warrant for a biker.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
(05-02-2011, 11:33am)BUSGO Wrote: HMMMM seems they are very lax in Sydney Kathy. When my wife attempted her L's she only ran into a fence at very low speed and they ejected her from the course on the 2nd day.
I am glad that they did because I have always feared that she has tunnel vision as a driver and that is a certian death warrant for a biker.
Yes , I think they are a bit....
I don't really understand the logic of pushing someone else around on a bike, when the potential learners would get better benefit from learning other things....like how to look ahead, being aware of surroundings, proper gear to wear, etc.
Kathy
Rear half of 2000 Red/Grey Busa Smitten
Rear half of 2010 Red BMW K1300 GT Smitten
(05-02-2011, 11:33am)BUSGO Wrote:
(05-02-2011, 11:27am)BabyBusa Wrote: When I did my L's for my bike, we had to do the 2 day thing where you mainly push each other around on the bikes and when you got to ride the bike you weren't allowed out of 2nd gear.

HMMMM seems they are very lax in Sydney Kathy. When my wife attempted her L's she only ran into a fence at very low speed and they ejected her from the course on the 2nd day.

I no how you feel. The chic I live with wants to get her ticket, has tunnel vision and just can't wrap her head around how dangerous it is on a bike on the road. I tried to get her riding my Honda 50R to get the feel of a small machine, the first time on a bike, she flipped it changing to second at full rpm could you believe, took some bark off now won't get back on it. It scares me thinking she wants to only gain experience on the road and go straight for her L's. I thought if she got some skills up (basic) that I'd get her a gt 250r but now I've told her to do proper training and if she won't I want nothing to do with it.
(06-02-2011, 02:19am)BJK1 Wrote:
(05-02-2011, 11:33am)BUSGO Wrote:

I no how you feel. The chic I live with wants to get her ticket, has tunnel vision and just can't wrap her head around how dangerous it is on a bike on the road. I tried to get her riding my Honda 50R to get the feel of a small machine, the first time on a bike, she flipped it changing to second at full rpm could you believe, took some bark off now won't get back on it. It scares me thinking she wants to only gain experience on the road and go straight for her L's. I thought if she got some skills up (basic) that I'd get her a gt 250r but now I've told her to do proper training and if she won't I want nothing to do with it.

Well BJK what women ever listened to a bloke you have given her sound advice is there any female rider you know a have a girl to girl talk to her
she may take it more seriously.

I had the same problem with my sister got her a honda 90 step through only cost me a carton fixed it up for her to practice on she said i'm not getting on that stupid little thing and I explained it just to get the feel for balance an control etc. any way she wouldn't get on it so she went off did her course and passed of course bought a honda CB250 brand new plus helmet gloves jacket pant bots etc road it once to work a car cut her of she panicked fell off called me to come and pick the bike up and she never rode again.

best of luck mate

Jim

Or we might have to start a show us you scars injury thread and she can see first hand what can happen even when you were doing nothing wrong.