Cam Chain annoyance!!!!!
To my knowledge and Col's

My bike has had no recalls and I have not given it a hard time. No one has ever touched the cam chain except for the inspection on saturday and it was jammed up on purpose so it couldnt jump teeth while we looked at the tensioner.

I have asked numerous mechanics about my concerns, on little noises it made over the last couple of months and everyone said it sounded normal

Friday night I was riding home from work normally and it started to rattle, so it was a suspected worn out cam chain

Warranty on these bikes is 2 years unlimited klms, so I have no recourse against mr suzuki and it is at a very bad time when I am about to leave my shop after 21 years , I have no Job as of yet and money is very tight.

I will have to start up the save the Blue Thunder appeal!!

My wife is not happy and I am getting very anxious about what is my future and ontop of that I have been called for Jury duty in criminal court on the 26th of this month

AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH

Col said the Drags would not have made any difference as I have had near on 60 runs down the track , launch at 3-4000
revs, thats why my launches suck at my times suffer...

Have always had it looked after by proffesionals , only use good oil and Fuel

This year has not been to kind to me!!!

Actually I am going to go and have a Cry now!!!!
Blue Thunder!!!!

Andrew :)

Blue and Silver Bling the Best thing!!!!!<i></i>
hey andy i know the terrible feeling of not being able to ride for long times and the pain of not knowing what will happen when you need $1000s to fix a problem and you have $1... to spare.
i hope it all works out well for you and that your are back on the road as soon as possible..

rob <i></i>
How anyone who doesn't own a Busa & ride it daily ( mechanics included) can evaluate what is a normal mechanical noise & what is not (within reason) is beyond me You've got to ride it a lot & be very familiar with it to pick up any changes

For a bike to slip a tooth on the cam timing means the chain has stretched beyond limits or the tensioner has malfunctioned (assuming that the cam sprockets are ok).

This type of wear is usually accompanied by a distinct rattle.

At least all my Honda's did

Come in Rocket <i></i>
You would never pick up noises like this on a Ducati 999.
I was at the Latins by the Lake bike show on the weekend and a couple of them started up.

Apart from the fact that they don't have a cam chain.

The clutch rattle sounded like someone dropped a pallet of empty cans from about 10 metres high and it easily drowned out the exhaust note of the whole group of bikes.

Sorry about your engine Andy. I have checked and double checked and tripple checked my bike.

Rgds BUSGO

"TAKE MY ADVICE"
I'm not using it anyway!<i>Edited by: BUSGO at: 11/5/06 9:00 am
</i>
Seen pics of several in the USA that break the top guide between the cams allowing the chain to skip easier, otherwise it would be fairly noisy before getting loose enough to skip teeth. <i></i>
That's shitty news Andy, I wish there was something we could do to help. Who are you looking at to get the work done?

Cheers mate.

Max - Let the Blues Rule
Madmax - GSX1300R Black and Blue Buses Rule
Good Bike, Good Woman, Good Road, Good Weather, Good God - Good Bye!
Smith and Wesson - The original point and click interface.
Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
<i></i>
I retract the stuff I said before and I am Sorry if I offended anyone with the Comments I made and I think I will just be mad at the little Japanese Guy in the Factory!!!!

After Much Discussion and thought I am taking my bike back to my mechanics and I know they will do a great job!!!
Blue Thunder!!!!

Blue and Silver Bling the Best thing!!!!!<i>Edited by: andycool&nbsp; at: 15/5/06 3:49 pm
</i>
Col charges like a wounded bull but his work is excellent, Heidi and I both use him also. Best of luck mate, hope it's not as serious as it seems.

Max
Madmax - GSX1300R Black and Blue Buses Rule
Good Bike, Good Woman, Good Road, Good Weather, Good God - Good Bye!
Smith and Wesson - The original point and click interface.
Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
<i></i>
Hey Andy,, If I were you I would there when the head came off the bike at 10/10ths. Just in case. Cheers,
Kawasuki<i></i>
I would like to apologise to my mechanics for being a grumpy old man!!

Blue Thunder!!!!

Blue and Silver Bling the Best thing!!!!!<i>Edited by: andycool&nbsp; at: 15/5/06 4:11 pm
</i>
Is that good news???? <i></i>
I have been very stressed over my bike and we are going to inspect and do a leakdown test on the bike to see what damage there is

The facts are the bike ran perfectly ok and made the same noise on monday as it did on friday when the noise appeared, it did not have any trouble in starting and neither was it backfiring and having trouble running or idling.

If it had jumped a whole 2 teeth, it has been pointed out to me it would not start nor idle, like it was doing, so the testing will begin and hopefully it will be ok!!!

Time will tell and hopefully not to much time!!!!
The main thing is, that it is repaired properly....
Blue Thunder!!!!

Blue and Silver Bling the Best thing!!!!!<i>Edited by: andycool&nbsp; at: 15/5/06 9:21 pm
</i>
Andy why stuff around with a leak down test ? Pull the cover and visually check cam timing is Ok ............then check valve clearances while your in there. You can also have a visual at cam chain guides etc also while it's open. Why GUESS or summise when you can simply visually check it and if all is ok forget it !
The time to do this would be less than the time to do a leak down test ?
FF1 <i>Edited by: fasterfaster1 at: 15/5/06 9:31 pm
</i>
Hey Pete

They are going to inspect it , check valve clearances etc and do what is needed!!!
I trust they will do whatever is the right thing and not just guess it is ok as we have had a big talk about doing it properly!!!!
Blue Thunder!!!!

Blue and Silver Bling the Best thing!!!!!<i>Edited by: andycool&nbsp; at: 15/5/06 10:03 pm
</i>
I'm with Faster a

A leak down test will show a bent valve alright but you still have to turn the engine over to get all valves closed on each cylinder thereby risking further valve /piston conflict & damage (not to mention con rod stress etc ) should the cam timing have slipped.

I've seen this happen & it aint pretty

The leak down test is used to ascertain engine condition, ie piston/ring/bore wear & valve seating, not to troubleshoot potential internal merchanical conflictions. (IMHO)

Also, some good workshops have a tool called a flexible borescope. They use this by removing the spark plugs, inserting the optic fibre light into the cylinder & checking for damage

<i>Edited by: rev 01 at: 15/5/06 10:24 pm
</i>