the power of advertising,
seen this on another bike forum, its a montage of TAC adds over the past 20 years, its quite confronting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8
[Image: 583b3abf-1.jpg]
link not working buddy
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
Amazing footage, been to a few prangs, just like that!
So realistic. Very confronting. watch them to the end. You'll be thinking about lost mates. Would be a better advertising campaign than having to sit through the ads with polies telling us how much money they wont to throw at us and to vote for them!

Max
Good weather, good woman, good road, good bike, good-bye!!
I remember quite a few of those ads, and I also seem to remember that the most confronting ones, i.e. the ones with the graphic crash footage and the horrific aftermath images always seem to bring out the bloody do-gooders that do their level best to get them removed from television.

I've been to 2 reasonably serious [with people trapped, but thankfully no deceased yet] MVA's now with the RFS and in both cases the drivers at fault walked away unscathed, but in one an 11yr old boy and his Dad were trapped and the other crash there was a woman trapped in one car and a 17yr old girl driving home from school trapped in another car. It's pretty hard when there's kids involved.

We need confronting ads like those to get the message across. It's a message that needs to be constsantly put in front of us so we don't become complacent, and especially so the younger and less experienced drivers / riders get reminded of just how serious things can get on the roads if you let your attention slip for so much as a split-second.
I've heard ads like that don't work though.
Something most of us suffer from called "Optimism Bias"...
(01-08-2010, 11:13pm)pan Wrote: I've heard ads like that don't work though.
Something most of us suffer from called "Optimism Bias"...

Meaning , It will never happen to me ?

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
(30-07-2010, 09:04pm)black13 Wrote: seen this on another bike forum, its a montage of TAC adds over the past 20 years, its quite confronting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8

Just reminded me , Did you guys see the show a few weeks back called RBT where a young Girl was pulled up breath tested and was blowing about .06 but was a P Plater ( so 0 alc ) She was arguing with the cops saying she had to drive as her friend was about to have a hypo ( diabetic ) and she needed her insulin pen. She said on Camera that she didn't care how over the limit she was and what damage she could have caused but her friend was more important than any outcome. When the cop told her that she could have killed someone with her driving she basically said she didnt care as her friend was far more important

So maybe the adds are not working for some , and the only people it works on is us older folk that have lives to live for and the young drivers, well they are bulletproof and things like this will never happen to them.

The cop on the tv show RBT was giving her a serve, and IMO he showed a LOT of restraint, How many fatals has that cop attended , how many times has he had to do the 2 am door knock to tell a family there daughter / son is not coming home, or grand parents to tell them there son , daughter in law and family have been wiped out from some stupid p plater or drunk driver.

NOW - this is what should happen- ANY young driver that commits any car infringement beyond say 10 KMH over ( ie 40 k over - reckless driving / drink driving ) should be forced to driving school to watch a video of actual car crash scenes where body retrieval has been recorded, they then have to discus what has happened. and then they take a visit to the morgue and MUST watch a live autopsy on a car crash victum where they can see for themselves the damage there actions can cause. AND i can guarantee this will change them. If they do not attend - they loose there licence UNTIL the full coarse is complete

it has not been done yet here in Australia - but they do it in some states of the US and its had a very big impact
Hayabusa , If your not on one , your behind one .....
i agree with Ozboc about the driving school but i dont think that it should be limited to only the young drivers, i myself am only 21 and i never do anything stupid in a car, i have the odd moment of madness on my bike and im sure im not the only one on this site that does, and in my travels ive seen plenty of middle aged men and women driving just as dangerously as drivers/riders of my age.
100000kms in 23 months, not too bad
Until the government wakes up and treats drivers licenses like gun licenses, i.e. to have one is a privilege, not a god-given right, the better off we'll all be.... except our taxes will go up due to the drop in revenue coz they won't be able to push the speed kills crap so hard as the reduction in the road toll would be immense if everyone just had the right attitude towards driving.

To go work on a building site, you need to do a compulsory OH&S induction, even if you already have your green card; a car can be a very deadly weapon, able to take 5 or more lives in one split-second, yet there's no compulsory safety induction before you get behind the wheel, go figure.
(02-08-2010, 09:00am)Ozboc Wrote: Just reminded me , Did you guys see the show a few weeks back called RBT where a young Girl was pulled up breath tested and was blowing about .06 but was a P Plater ( so 0 alc ) She was arguing with the cops saying she had to drive as her friend was about to have a hypo ( diabetic ) and she needed her insulin pen. She said on Camera that she didn't care how over the limit she was and what damage she could have caused but her friend was more important than any outcome. When the cop told her that she could have killed someone with her driving she basically said she didnt care as her friend was far more important

So maybe the adds are not working for some , and the only people it works on is us older folk that have lives to live for and the young drivers, well they are bulletproof and things like this will never happen to them.

The cop on the tv show RBT was giving her a serve, and IMO he showed a LOT of restraint, How many fatals has that cop attended , how many times has he had to do the 2 am door knock to tell a family there daughter / son is not coming home, or grand parents to tell them there son , daughter in law and family have been wiped out from some stupid p plater or drunk driver.

NOW - this is what should happen- ANY young driver that commits any car infringement beyond say 10 KMH over ( ie 40 k over - reckless driving / drink driving ) should be forced to driving school to watch a video of actual car crash scenes where body retrieval has been recorded, they then have to discus what has happened. and then they take a visit to the morgue and MUST watch a live autopsy on a car crash victum where they can see for themselves the damage there actions can cause. AND i can guarantee this will change them. If they do not attend - they loose there licence UNTIL the full coarse is complete

it has not been done yet here in Australia - but they do it in some states of the US and its had a very big impact

I wish we did have something like that here. It is quite humbling when it is revealed that the witch's hats scattered around some accident sites are the markers for body parts and blood pools.