Tasmania/March 2010
Been a long time since I've looked or posted on the site but seeing that a rather large group of you are coming south I'd provide you some up to-date road conditions for the west coast.

I've just completed a west coast loop on the bus plus travelling for work alot lately and he's some observations;

1. There are a lot of road works going on between Tullah and Queenstown on the A10. This is mainly resurfacing, the trouble is that they have used a large amounts of gravel and there is a lot of left over loose gravel remaining. So if you see a road works sign and no painted lines in front please take care. The good news is that the newly renovated clean sections are extremely gripy.

2. Lake Primsol Road (the other road between Tullah and Queenstown - not as many tourists) there's a major creek diversion works about 20kms in from Tullah and a few minor road repairs afterwards. Road is not as good as it once was but still worth a look.

3. Reece Dam (Pieman Road) to Zeehan is still good, some patchy sections put really a must do road.

4. Strahan to Queenstown condition was fine.

5. Queenstown to Derwent Bridge A10 there are some minor road works around Mount Arrowsmith but a lot of resurfaced areas (the white road gravel looks slippery but its fine - by evidence of the black lines left everywhere). Gravel left-over on any new sections is no where as bad as the other side of Queenstown.

6. A10 - Cradle Mountain - Cethana - Sheffield (200mph alley) o'yeah. This road is still in great condition just watch out for Winabago's

In regard to speed camera's, there seems to be more civilian contractors parking there mobile stations on tas tourist routes (know a few people that have been pinged), they seem to back the vehicle up behind the vegetation on exit areas. But having said that I haven't seen one after just completing 2000kms (bike and car) over the last few weeks on the west coast (well not that I know of yet).

Anyway I'm sure you all enjoy the trip and I hope the excellent weather we have been having holds out.
Good report Toenail very much appreciated mate what part do you call home?

Can you tell me what the road from Waratah to Savage River is like I was told it was worth doing even though its dead end we ran out of time when we where there last.

Lake Primsol rd is another we didn't do and will try to get there this time is there many trucks using this road ?

Your very welcome to catch up for a run with us or get around for a beer
at one of the Pubs we will staying at details are at the start of the thread Pi_thumbsup
" SO MANY TURKEYS IN THE WORLD ARE YOU ONE "
No problem Driller, just saw all the loose gravel the other day and thought I'd give your group the heads-up

Last time I did the Waratah to Savage River was 2004 and the road surface was excellent. The first 1/3rd out of Waratah is fast and the last 2/3rd is 25-45km/h flip-flop corners     , its a 40km dead-end (make sure you have enough fuel to get in and out).

There is a few trucks on the Primsol Lake road at the moment due to the civil works going on at the creek diversion. To be honest any traffic isn't a worry for bikes on this road.

You can't really go wrong, you always come across a good road in a short time down tas. East coast is just as good (particular northern east coast) just more police, camera's and tourists (read caravans and rv's) over that side.

I'll keep and eye out - sounds as through it will be pretty hard to miss your group.
Thanks for the feed back Toenail Pi_thumbsup
hope to see a few of the tassie boys while we are down .

shane
[Image: b76e01eb-552d-45d5-97df-028004b674c3_zps59f1c171.jpg]

Busa's yeah i guess i like them I've owned a few Pi_tongue
Here we go a planned trip that started out a year ago is just about on our door step.

All I need is conformation on one nights accommodation
this is FRIDAY NIGHT 26/2/10 at ORBOST.

Booked so far
Me
Shane
Grenny
Aron
Woodsy
George
john
Heidi ?(can you confirm please Heidi)

I would also like to say it will be good to catch up with everyone
and hope we all have a great time.
Safe RidingPi_thumbsup
You guys have me extremely jealous.

While you're down there . . . (now there's a quote)

keep your eyes open for my Mum & Dad, travelling the Apple Isle in their Winnebago. I've told them if they see a group of disrepticable(is that a word) hayabusa riders, to say Hi from me! Old man is a biker from Waaaaaaay back!
- they might even make you all a nice cup of tea.....
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
I have an extremely drunk Bruce sitting beside me. I've just been singing the praises of the Mrs Ward, and he has offered his place on the Tassy trip in exchange for the Mrs and the CBX, he wants the six cylinder purr (god I hope he is talking about the bike). He made me add that he means in it a very respectful manner. I think that is bullshit and you should punch him next time you see him.

Driller and Shredder, count me, Simmo and Bruce in for accomodation in Orbost.

Cheers

Heidi
(13-02-2010, 10:29pm)Heidi1 Wrote: count me, Simmo and Bruce in for accomodation in Orbost.
Cheers
Heidi

WHAT ABOUT FRANKO ?

(14-02-2010, 07:19am)TheShredder Wrote:
(13-02-2010, 10:29pm)Heidi1 Wrote: count me, Simmo and Bruce in for accomodation in Orbost.
Cheers
Heidi

WHAT ABOUT FRANKO ?

yes indeedy......I`m in , I`m in Nerd
you can tell this is a classy place.....
the graffiti is spelt right.....!
Pi_thumbsup franko thought the others forgot ya.

Mark Whats the pub we are staying at in Lithgow ?
What time will we be departing Friday Morn ?

Franko wants to meet us there & run down to Orbost with us

The Pub is THE COMMERCIAL HOTEL Lithgow 198 Main st

I would say that we would have to be on the road about 7.00 am
its going to be a 750ks day Coolsmiley
(14-02-2010, 05:27pm)Driller Wrote: The Pub is THE COMMERCIAL HOTEL Lithgow 198 Main st

I would say that we would have to be on the road about 7.00 am
its going to be a 750ks day Coolsmiley

cool bananas fellas....cyas there Coolsmiley

oh....7 wha...??Scary sheesh! gunna have to buy a rooster now!! Undecided
you can tell this is a classy place.....
the graffiti is spelt right.....!
Good one Franko see you there Clap
Hey Driller, can you please cancel Bruce and I for Orbost? We've just had a chat, and he has family committments and I have something similar going on. New plan for two of the team, we're going to go straignt to the boat on the 1st and meet you in Tassie, then we'll leave straight from our overnight accomodation on Monday 8 March, and race home.

Sorry for any inconvenience, but this way we get to spend the full time in Tassie (which will be EXCELLENT) and minimise time away.

Cheers

Heidi
(15-02-2010, 10:00am)Heidi1 Wrote: Hey Driller, can you please cancel Bruce and I for Orbost? We've just had a chat, and he has family committments and I have something similar going on. New plan for two of the team, we're going to go straignt to the boat on the 1st and meet you in Tassie, then we'll leave straight from our overnight accomodation on Monday 8 March, and race home.
Sorry for any inconvenience, but this way we get to spend the full time in Tassie (which will be EXCELLENT) and minimise time away.
Cheers
Heidi

Farrrrk that means I'll have to leave at stupit o'clock to be at Lithgow 7 ish