power of attorney (I have a question)
Now I realise how completely unrelated this question is to this board, but we so many members I have to think SOMEONE has had some experience with this.

I've been asked (and accepted of course) to have power of attorney for a family member who is dying. I've agreed, but I'm not sure what it entails beyond belting the doctors around the head when they f*** up (which has been basically why I got the job).

Has anybody done this for a family member and has any experiences they want to share? I'm very aware that this can be the kind of thing that pulls families apart and I want to be careful, AND I want to do the best job I can for my family member and the one left behind.

If you have an experience you wouldn't mind sharing, either PM me or PM me your phone number and I'll call you.

Thanks

HEIDI xxx
I'm no expert, but when I used to work for a large bank (don't say which bank cos it's not funny) a power attorney was used to give someone authorised by the account holder to make all transactions on their behalf (this was usually for people who were very ill, mentally/physically incapacitated). The power of attorney would give you authority to act on this persons' behalf. It shouldn't place any pressure on you as you will basically be carrying out the family members wishes. I don't think you will have to make any decisions...you will only be signing off on paperwork on this persons behalf.

As i said, I'm no expert but hope this helps until someone with more information can help (or google power of attorney for your state and see what you can find).

Regards
Craig
The way I understand it Heidi is pretty much what CJ said, but in many cases you will need to make decisions.
The POE gives you total control over the assets of the individual. Usually it includes a statement that the POE is only enforced when the individual becomes totally incapacitated & unable to make decisions for themselves.
So it then falls back on you to make ALL decisions on this persons behalf. Everything, including legel decisions.

It usually involves being execetor of the Will as well.

Everytime my parents go overseas (they are in their 80's) they make me POE for them for the duration of their trip. Just incase something happens to them while they are away.
Thanks very much for the suggestions above and the PMs. Bruce wikipediaed POA this morning for me and that helped alot. Not sure why I didn't think of that myself, perhaps my brain is full.

I have a much clearer understanding now. AND a shiny bike trailer.
(04-09-2009, 04:39pm)Heidi1 Wrote: Thanks very much for the suggestions above and the PMs. Bruce wikipediaed POA this morning for me and that helped alot. Not sure why I didn't think of that myself, perhaps my brain is full.

I have a much clearer understanding now. AND a shiny bike trailer.

Sweet Mary did a course on this a couple (few - lots - ages ago lol), she can probablt assist mate.
Good weather, good woman, good road, good bike, good-bye!!
Heidi,
My sister and I share "Enduring power of attorney" for my mother.
There is also a "Tempory power of attorney" for short periods.
She is certainly not incapacitated and has full faculties.
Regardless of her condition and even though she can still run her own affairs, both my sister and I acting together can over rule any financial situation that she gets herself into by mistake or otherwise.
Power of Attorney is more or less legally permanent unless revoked and done all over again unless it is temporary.
A power of attorney does not over ride an executor of a will unless specified.
Full details can be found on the Australian Attorney General's website.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
there is one more step above POA.

poa is over ruled at any time..

forgive me at the moment because for th elife of me i cannot remeber what it is called.
(have a dreaded lurgy)

power of attorney is just a big name for yes you can sign on your relatives(or whom ever) behlf. ie cheques to an extent.
but when it means putting some one in a home ect against their will then POA is redundant.as an extreme example
(04-09-2009, 06:39pm)cheeky Wrote: there is one more step above POA.

poa is over ruled at any time..

forgive me at the moment because for th elife of me i cannot remeber what it is called.
(have a dreaded lurgy)

power of attorney is just a big name for yes you can sign on your relatives(or whom ever) behalf. ie cheques to an extent.
but when it means putting some one in a home ect against their will then POA is redundant.as an extreme example
Not 100% sure Heidi ,But i think power of attorney gives you control of the
financial side only. you need a power of guardianship for medical decisions.

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
CRAP! I'd better look into it a bit further then, I've been asked specifically so I can make medical decisions, and financial if I have to, but specifically medical.

Good idea BUSGO, I'll go to the AG's site. Wikipedia didn't specify Australian law.
Dear all

My Pard left the building tonight. My PMs aren't working, so this is a public thank you to everyone who PMd me their experiences and made this whole thing a little less unexpected. Thanks to Missy who spent about 2hrs on the phone to me one night talking drugs (NICE WORK), Max who has provided support and drinks when I need them and the Ruffy's for their generous offers again and again. Special thanks must go to ASTRO for constantly being at the end of the phone for me, telling me happy stories in a frantic hurry without asking if I was ok, and understanding when my humour got a little black. And of course to Bruce for giving me somewhere to sleep again and again and again and again as I traveled up and down that bloody highway from Canberra to Forster.

For all those that helped me, please take this as a personal thanks. I have had four hours sleep since Monday morning, buggered if I know if any of this makes sense. Who are you people? Why am I in my pajamas? Hey, is that a parrot?

Cheers

Heidi
Hi Heidi,

My condolances on your loss. I expect your Pard was an exceptional man and clearly loved by many.

My best wishes to your family.

Steventh
Please take my condolences as well Heidi.
Your dedication to your Pard's welfare has been terrific. I am sure he took great comfort from you.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
Heidi

Our condolences to you and your family over the loss of your Pard. Even though this is a difficult time, there is a small consolation in knowing that your Pard will not suffer anymore pain and has gone to a better place.

If you need anything, just call. Our thoughts are with you......
Kathy
Rear half of 2000 Red/Grey Busa Smitten
Rear half of 2010 Red BMW K1300 GT Smitten
Sincere condolences Heidi, to you and your family.

You did good kiddo. Now have a time out and look after yourself for a bit.
condolences Heidi
Chopper says - "Harden the f*** up Australia"