Lexus GPS Disc Read Problems
I wanted to put a post on here so when the website gets indexed again by the search engine bots it can be picked by others with a similar issue via the search engines.

My old man has a 2002 model LS430 Lexus. He rang me in a bit of a state the other day because his GPS in the car was giving an unrecognized disc error. The Lexus has a box in the boot which the maps are stored on a DVD disc. For some reason the box decided not to read the disc anymore. Dad takes the car to Lexus and they give him the good news, $6000 to replace the faulty disc reader in the boot.

After the defib was applied he legged it out of there, he called me to ask me to search the internetamathingy for a second hand unit.

I did a bit of a search and found a reference on a site from a guy who had the same issue. He said to resolve the problem, you had to pull the unit out of the boot, take the cover off and unplug the small strip cable for a short period effectively resetting the unit.

I got dad around and pulled the unit out of the car. when I pulled the cover off, I noticed a battery attached to the circuit board. This reinforced for me the notion of unplugging the reader from the board to remove any power source and do a reset. I removed the reader, reinstalled it and tested it in the car. It works fine again.

I dont need to say that I am now the favourite son and managed to sneak a few hints in on upcoming birthday presents that would be appreciated.Yes

In summary a faulty GPS disc reader in a Lexus GPS can be reset and you do not need to spend $6k to replace the reader. The unit is made by Denso and has Phillips chips in the internals.

Lexus called him back to say they could send the unit to Melbourne and they may be able to get it fixed for around $1000. Dad then proceeded to give them some advice about their GPS repairs. Whenpigsfly
There is no strong performance without a little fanaticism in the performer
Excellent post Horndog.
My Mini Cooper S has the same GPS unit.
I will be making a mental note of your fix in case I ever need it.

I don't know what Lexus charge for a map update but the Mini one is about $300.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO