how do drag straps work
hey guys
might seem like a silly question but how are drag straps used and what are they actually for?
ajchop Wrote:hey guys
might seem like a silly question but how are drag straps used and what are they actually for?

The drag racers on the forum will have the correct answers, but my understanding is that
it (in conjunction with dropping the rear) lowers the CoG of the bike, thus enabling harder
launches without so many wheelies.
Dunno.
The beauty of the straps is that you can crank them up when needed (decrease your front preload
and push hard on the front then crank up the strap then up the preload or something like that??)
and then release the straps with normal riding. Unsure how much of a hindrance the straps are to steering in an "off" position though??
And stuffed if i know if the sidestand will work when the bike is lowered?

I know that I want some for when Calder opens up againPi_tongue

And I'll add a question...Any modifications required to "standard" straps to fit radial mounted calipers??
fastfreddygassit Wrote:
ajchop Wrote:hey guys
The drag racers on the forum will have the correct answers, but my understanding is that
it (in conjunction with dropping the rear) lowers the CoG of the bike, thus enabling harder
launches without so many wheelies.
Dunno.
The beauty of the straps is that you can crank them up when needed (decrease your front preload
and push hard on the front then crank up the strap then up the preload or something like that??)
and then release the straps with normal riding. Unsure how much of a hindrance the straps are to steering in an "off" position though??
And stuffed if i know if the sidestand will work when the bike is lowered?
I know that I want some for when Calder opens up againPi_tongue
And I'll add a question...Any modifications required to "standard" straps to fit radial mounted calipers??
Spot on FFG, side stand mod not only lowers the bike but helps lock it in. no hinderance on the steering when released but I don't think its legal to ride on the road, I do but not on big trips I take them off.. Pi_thumbsupPi_thumbsup
PS you must also lower the rear (ie lowering links of bolts) , or your going to get some unforgiving tank slaps Pi_freak
anything to look out for when fitting them to a bike with radial mounted calipers?
Just looking at the US eBay straps and some way get a kit and other say not needed.
I can't see a problem but then again, I may be missing something??
Ive got the brock radial mount adaptors at home,unused if you are after some,they don,t fit my brembos.
spamanglenn Wrote:Ive got the brock radial mount adaptors at home,unused if you are after some,they don,t fit my brembos.

you have a PM
"Straps" remove the free play in the forks, stopping the "ramp up" reducing wheellys. Lowering is just a positive side effect.

We tried a special fork lock on motorcross bikes which would realease after taking off for a similar result.

Leonard.
The side stand will become an issue. Some cut about an inch out & weld the foot back on. I have two stands a stock & a shorty. Glenn has a shorty with a removable sidchrome socket bolted under the foot for road height. Aftermarket adjustable alloy stands are also available.
[Image: zzzCustom.jpg]
"par excellence"
damn, the secrets out.Lol3 Bush mechanics at its finest.
Mcgiver revisited.
[Image: zzzCustom.jpg]
"par excellence"
thanks guys.one more if you have dropped the front using lowering trees will it do the same or because the shock hasnt been compressed it doesn't have the same advantages
No, the forks still move.

Dont raise the forks by more than 20mm or you'll ground your exhaust,sump etc after a big wheelly.

Leonard.