sports touring tyres
I'm about to ride from Qld to Tas, with pillion and luggage. I will also have time to attack some of the better twisty stuff after unloading pillion and luggage at a near-by camp site.

My OEM tyres are nearly finished - any suggestions for a tyre that will give decent mileage but still be sticky enough for some aggressive riding? I've never used sports touring tyres before on any of the bikes I've owned, I've always preferred the extra grip and confidence a sport tyre like Pilot Power 2CT provides. I would appreciate anyone's view on this.

Ferg
Ask heidi, simmo or blackzook ,they have done some big mileage fully loaded at different speeds & on various roads,to me they kinda road tested touring tyres real time.
pilot road 2ct
[Image: b76e01eb-552d-45d5-97df-028004b674c3_zps59f1c171.jpg]

Busa's yeah i guess i like them I've owned a few Pi_tongue
TheShredder Wrote:pilot road 2ct

Mate dont listen to shredder he dosent know what touring is . U cant have the best of both worlds when it comes to bike hoops. The Mitch. Road 2 will last ,but not a great cornering tyer if u want to really push it, but still would be ok. It will last .
Id say pilot power 2ct if your one up only or pilot road 2ct if you take the missus.
Heidi's Pilot Road 2CTs did around OZ with a load and still had rubber to spare.
In Summer you won't have a problem unless you find some really cold road somewhere.
In Winter they may become slippy due to the cold.
Metzeller Z6 tyres give really good service on trips as well.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
+1
The road 2's are a good tyre did the trip around no sweat and I have done a couple of putty runs wet and dry with no problems at all. I ride at a reasonable pace and love them.

BUSGO Wrote:Heidi's Pilot Road 2CTs did around OZ with a load and still had rubber to spare.
In Summer you won't have a problem unless you find some really cold road somewhere.
In Winter they may become slippy due to the cold.
Metzeller Z6 tyres give really good service on trips as well.
continental road attack rear and sport attack front good combo together. there is a new one out they call the force mite be a bit better mileage.but i like the attack.i did pi this year .left with a new set an did 4000 ks round trip an prob good for another 4to5 thousand.best of luck with your choose..
HayabusaAustralia2

Bridgestone BT021
Perth to Sydney,
Sydney to Emerald Qld Return,
Sydney to Eden return twice,
Sydney to Ulladulla 3 times return,
New set going on to tommorrow after I burn out the old rear on the dyno @ S & R Pro in Penrith,
No black gook burnouts & Bob's your uncle.
Still enough for Sydney to Emerald on the front.
Pilot Road 2s. Did a great job.
I put PR2 on mine and love em. Already got up 7k inc the Jindy weekend and no problems at all. My previous M1s needed replacing at 5k. Grip is way better than me and even though not the fastest in the club Im no slouch either.

Im so impressed with the tyre I bought the companny - hold on thats someone else.

But Im so impressed when my ducati 749 needs new hoops I will be putting on PP2s (I use it to commute) rather than softer tyres - Im that impressd with the grip of these things.
kawasuki Wrote:The Mitch. Road 2 will last ,but not a great cornering tyer if u want to really push it, but still would be ok. It will last .

I completely agree with this. Pi_thumbsup

I know that Ferg is looking for a tyres for a long trip but he also said that he will be getting amongst it when he arrives.

Compared to the Pilot Power 2CTs I found the Pilot Roads lacking as a cornering tyre. (as you would expect).

I also found that those P.O.S. BT015s were terrible tyres (I'm not the only one). Despite experimenting with lower pressures I found they took FOREVER to properly warm-up and didn't inspire a lot of confidence where it really counts. I had two sets of them, and I really really hated those tyres haha.

I can't say enough good things about the Power 2CT, but they don't sound entirely appropriate for what you are doing Ferg.
Licence Back!
Thanks for the advice guys. Still a tough choice though.

My heart tells me "go with what you know will give you the cornering confidence you want - PP2CT all the way. What's the use of getting to these great twisty roads if you can't put them to the use God intended?".

My head says "don't be stupid, you will be doing 1000's of kms two-up with luggage - choose a touring tyre, it has to be PR's".

What about PP front and PR rear?? Ideas?

Ferg.
Ferg,

For what its worth, I went to Vic over Christmas and had to put on a new front. Many here recommend a softer front than rear ( I had and M1 on the front) but I went with the PR2 (matched pair). i figured that the tyre manufacturer probably knows a thing or two about tyre design.

I rode over 1200 km back to Sydney via the Orbost - Delegate road (120km of pure twistie - except 20 km of dirt). I also rode this back from PI with the softer front. I dont think I rode it slower but i had no problem with the PR2. The only thing I noticed was the softer tyre shed its sides whereas the PP2 didnt.

I wouldnt go past the PP2 - es[ecially if you are going long distance.

Cheers

Steven