The useless bits of info to see if we can make a million posts thread
Learn More Abouts 100 Years of Harley-Davidson
I'd rather be riding my Hayabusa thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my Hayabusa
The history of the Harley-Davidson Company, or HD, began in 1903 with two friends in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. William Harley and Arthur Davidson (plus his brothers Walter & William) began working on the prototype and eventually sought the help of Walter and William. The latter two members of the group were essential in providing the success that would lead to the incorporation of the HD Company they founded, as Walter was a skilled mechanic and William a known toolmaker.
I'd rather be riding my Hayabusa thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my Hayabusa
All three of the Harley-Davidsonâ€s motorcycles in 1903 were paid for prior to completion and these were the only bikes produced in their first year of business. Gray was the standard color of the first motorcycles, which were often referred to as the ?Silent Gray Fellows?. By the end of 1905 the Company was not only selling motorcycles, but also motorcycle motors, marine motors, reversible propellers and float feed carburetors.
Throughout the ensuing decade, Harley-Davidson maintained its steady growth, becoming increasingly desired by the public. Among the biggest fans of the company was the United States Postal service, who in 1914 used 4,800 of the companyâ€s bikes but nine departments in total used the companyâ€s products in the federal government in that year.
By 1916, the military was in on the act and they began outfitting their HDâ€s with machine guns in skirmishes with Panch Villa. The federal government did not ease up on their use of HD during the first World War, on the contrary, the government purchased fifty percent of all of the HD motorcycles during this period and shipped them overseas for the military to use.
Though the 1920s brought an end to the war, HDâ€s entered the world of racing where they were quite prosperous. During a time when many other businesses were forced to shut down in the 1930s, Harley-Davidson was able to struggle through the Great Depression era, and even saw continued growth of the company. With the forties came the United States†entry into World War II, as they had during the First World War, the HDâ€s served the country well.
In the decade of the 1950s, the company began employing more aggressive marketing strategies and saw increased growth. When fighting began in the Korean War, HD did not prosper from any government contracts this time around, as the Jeep replaced motorcycles in the governments†preference.
Civilian consumers more than made up for the lack of government contracts, Harley-Davidson responded by continuing to concentrate on the civilians who bought their products.
The great change that swept through the country during the sixties also affected the HD Company. This decade is when the company began producing 3-wheeled golf carts. These golf carts were very successful, gathering a third of the golf cart market by the decades†close, and becoming popular items overseas too.
Keeping a little closer to their original business, Harley-Davidson began producing a motorcycle accessories line during this decade.
The 1970s produced advancements in racing techniques in the bikes produced by Harley-Davidson and as a result, the bikes saw continued success in the racing sport.
However a major change happened in the 1980â€s with a buyback where the HD Company returned to private ownership.
This decade continued the theme of change by the company continuing to strive for even greater standards of quality in their machines, this paid off when the California Highway Patrol granted them a contract in 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, and 1989.
In the decade of the 1990s, the Harley-Davidson Company began producing of the FLSTF Fat Boy, their most customized factory custom motorcycle yet.
The production of this bike allowed buyers to produce high quality items that were both evocative of previous eraâ€s products, and contemporary enough to compete in the present-day market.