Intake Cam
Hi Guys, I want to do the cam mod for the bus. Wheres the best place to buy a standard intake cam from? So far I got my eye on the APE stanadard intake cam with the gear mounted and adapted to fit the exhaust timing marks and dialled in fort $279 USD plus freight.

Anyone do or know of better or know of a secondhand intake cam for sale?
There is no strong performance without a little fanaticism in the performer
I brought a Spaz racing cam in for a guy here, its a little bigger than the std inlet , the inlet then went on the exhaust, sprockets were part of the deal.cost more than the inlet on its own but expecting more power .
I will have my two intake cams out of my bike in the next 4 weeks ( I hope ) and will be going bigger.. If you can hold off till then let me know... Pi_thumbsup
Regards Richard.....

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

[Image: l_b8cd83806072859a2e37a2a757a8eb9a.jpg]

horndog Wrote:Hi Guys, I want to do the cam mod for the bus. Wheres the best place to buy a standard intake cam from? So far I got my eye on the APE stanadard intake cam with the gear mounted and adapted to fit the exhaust timing marks and dialled in fort $279 USD plus freight.

Anyone do or know of better or know of a secondhand intake cam for sale?

I'd buy Richard's cams ( both of them ) as they have adjustable sprockets..that way you can dial both the cams in...buying a cam "dialled in" is like pissing in the wind. You'll need to potentially reshim too all clearances...so be prepared
be prepared to lose bottom end grunt too.Even dialling the stock cams in later you lose some bottom end.Would work good with compression but with stock compression you,ll always lose somewhere to gain somewhere else.
I have sourced some high comp pistons and have almost closed a deal on a stock intake cam.

Does anyone have a step by step to align the timing marks on an intake cam in the exhaust or can you buy the slotted sprockets with the timing mark changed to suit?
ape gears have a dot to roughly index the intake cam on the exhaust.Unless you have a holiday coming up to do it assuming the motor is still in the bike just pay a shop to do it.Dialling the exhaust cam in whilst in the frame is a son of a bitch of a job.
spamanglenn Wrote:ape gears have a dot to roughly index the intake cam on the exhaust.Unless you have a holiday coming up to do it assuming the motor is still in the bike just pay a shop to do it.Dialling the exhaust cam in whilst in the frame is a son of a bitch of a job.

Yeh thanks I figured that as I tried to dial in my cams on my R1 once with the engine in.
Because we have an off season here in W.A I will rip out the engine and do the pistons and cam on the bench. Also considering getting some porting work done if it fits in the budget.
did you do any wideband tuning on the busa yet.I,m progressing along with it and am nearly at the stage where i can properly assess a change, onroad.The veypor will tell me the g force and time taken from a-b,the lcd can then trim a/f real time,then another pass can be made to see what it likes.It will interesting to see what ideal a/f is in first compared to 4th.
I have logged plenty of data but only on the standard ECU. That was with the standard GPS and also with a home made TRE by installing a 6.8K Ohm resistor (5th Gear). It maintains the bike at 13.2 beautifully no matter what load or revs it was under and I honestly think it launches a bit harder with the TRE, so far my best 60' is 1.673 stock wheelbase.

I fitted a PC3 yesterday and will get some data from an adjusted map in the next couple of weeks. My R1 ran its best time on the 1/4 at A/F of 12.8 so I am keen to get it to that and see how the times are compared to an A/F 13.2.

My best time so far at A/F of 13.2 is a 10.224 with a top speed of 137mph. So that will be my benchmark.

I will keep you informed of my results.
horndog Wrote:I have logged plenty of data but only on the standard ECU. That was with the standard GPS and also with a home made TRE by installing a 6.8K Ohm resistor (5th Gear). It maintains the bike at 13.2 beautifully no matter what load or revs it was under and I honestly think it launches a bit harder with the TRE, so far my best 60' is 1.673 stock wheelbase.

I fitted a PC3 yesterday and will get some data from an adjusted map in the next couple of weeks. My R1 ran its best time on the 1/4 at A/F of 12.8 so I am keen to get it to that and see how the times are compared to an A/F 13.2.

My best time so far at A/F of 13.2 is a 10.224 with a top speed of 137mph. So that will be my benchmark.

If you are going high comp pistons and some "headwork" you can go with bigger cams than what you've mentioned..just depends where the budget sits.
gazza414 Wrote:
horndog Wrote:I have logged plenty of data but only on the standard ECU. That was with the standard GPS and also with a home made TRE by installing a 6.8K Ohm resistor (5th Gear). It maintains the bike at 13.2 beautifully no matter what load or revs it was under and I honestly think it launches a bit harder with the TRE, so far my best 60' is 1.673 stock wheelbase.

If you are going high comp pistons and some "headwork" you can go with bigger cams than what you've mentioned..just depends where the budget sits.

Unfortunately I dont think the head work is in the budget or the bigger cams. I have been contemplating doing my own exhaust port cleanup but cant find any info on it other than to leave it to the pros.
Still not ruling out 1mm oversize exhaust valves with a race cut though.

I am also planning to build my own headers as a winter project along the lines of the sidewinder. I have almost finished making up a jig from the standard headers and exhaust and will also shorten the stock headers 2 inches and convert the stock exhaust to a 4-2-1 system.
spamanglenn Wrote:did you do any wideband tuning on the busa yet.I,m progressing along with it and am nearly at the stage where i can properly assess a change, onroad.The veypor will tell me the g force and time taken from a-b,the lcd can then trim a/f real time,then another pass can be made to see what it likes.It will interesting to see what ideal a/f is in first compared to 4th.

I just checked out the Veypor site and I gotta say I am impressed with the capabilities and price. I might consider getting myself one of these. How much did you pay for yours spamanglenn and did you say you were logging A/F with it as well?