Had me bike slightly modified today.
Tim sorry to hear about your pride and joy. keep it red! good to hear your mate's in 1 piece. ian .
Well,

visit to the dealership today brought the news that including labour the damage bill is gunna be a little over $12k !!!!!!!!!! Some damage to the motor under the right hand plastics and every bit of plastic being buggered so I dunno whats gunna happen now, most likley get a new bike with some luck, maybe time to try out a M109

2007 model out soon, pity its not gunna be the 'all new' model tho. Sitting around waiting to hear sucks.

Cheers

Tim
I reckon thats BS mate - depending how bad the plastics are - respray is about 2500 for the full bike plus stickers.

What engine damage? If I was in your position I'd be asking for a full professional report on it & just what is damaged??

I seriously don't believe dealer ships at all - I have seen them give those kinda prices for a bike when the real price is closer to maybe 4k maybe 5k. Of course a dealership does not want to spend the time trying to fix up something tho - its not what they do - however given you have insurance - I guess that makes all the diff

"Busa riders always count in three's.... 100, 200, 300"

Like I said much earlier, what appears to be minor damage to a busa is often the opposite.

If the assessor says 12k and it is insured, go with the repairs.
If they write it off and pay you out, you could buy it at auction and repair it for a lot less using your own labour and non genuine parts.

Try to make it a win, win situation if you can Tim.

Being without a ride for a fair while is the hardest part but it will either be new or be like new when it is all fixed.

Rgds BUSGO

"TAKE MY ADVICE"
I'm not using it anyway!
Painted and repaired panels are rarely a perfect match especially on a Busa with the various metallics. The better Insurance companies have realised this and tend to buy New panels where possible to avoid the pain of frustrated owners.

Personally I pay a fair dollar for Insurance so I would expect the bike to be in as good a condition as before the accident. Straightening Subframes and the like could be an opening down the track for the Insurance Company or repairer to be sued so generally it doesnt happen as they want to avoid any comeback. Similarly any external scrapes could be hiding something more and it just isnt worth the time or hassle.

As much as we dislike them they are looking out for everyones interest. The only problem with all this is some Insurers depending on Circumstances dont Reinsure after a Write-Off as you are seen as a risk. Unfortunately it will probably be Tim's rating that gets a hammering and not his mate. Something to consider when loaning your bike out!

What ever they do Tim will a new or like new ride like Busgo said and probably be off the Road for a Month or Two minimum.
Shayne

One day soon I'll be after a motor!!
Hope it all works out OK
I tried to buy my old '2000 at auction after they wrote her off. I waited nearly 12 months and she was still sitting in the yard down in Sydney. I got the distinct impression they were in no hurry to put her on the block for sale. Fucknose why? The danger in rebuidling her will be the chance that the frame is bent just a little, could cause real danger for you down the track when doing warp speeds. Something to consider. I asked my local shop to make a write off most likely, they put $14k damage on her, I didn't want a bent frame under me.

Sorry to sound a little apprehensive, but you have to know the risks.

JHope it all works out for you anyway.

Cheers

Max Madmax - GSX1300R Black and Grey Buses Rule
Good Bike, Good Woman, Good Road, Good Weather, Good God - Good Bye!
Smith and Wesson - The original point and click interface.
Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
Oh shit now I remember Mick, tell him hi for me glad he is OK. Under the circumstances I would probably only kill him once and stop after the CPR and a stern talking to

I'd still trash his blackturd tho it's only fair.

Tell your insurer that you want the bike replaced - if they baulk write a letter stating that you seriously doubt the safety of a bike with such substantial damage but will be willing to accept their decision on the matter on the proviso that they accept responsibility for your safety for the life of the cycle. Then suggest that a full x-ray and dye penetrent analysis be performed on the frame and all structural components prior to it's return to you.

Seriously - try it - in writing.

Damage assessment is calculated on actual repair cost and potential future cost, customer profile is added to the equation. Be polite helpful and concerned for your safety. That is the catchword that will add to their perceived costs and may tip the scales Bruce
N2O no laughing matter
f*** nos I've got Velocity
Edited by: Blackzook at: 3/1/07 22:51
great tips there Blackzook.
I said tips not tits... Cheers,
Pete

Z Web World
Mobile Dj, Web Design,Photography, Bullshit Artist!

"I don't want a pickle,
I just wanna ride my motorsickle."
Arlo Guthrie 1968
I'm with Bruce on this one Tim. It may sound harsh, but you would really benefit from being thorough and giving them everything in writing.

I can't agree with Busgo's comment,

Quote: but it will either be new or be like new when it is all fixed

I wouldn't be happy going with the repairs. I've found that the insurer may cover their butt and quote $12K, but the repairers generally are known to cut corners which you find out about years later. They often do this to stretch the profit margin. For example, you may take the nose cone off 2 years later and find it's not a new replacement, but a blue/silver 99 model re-sprayed.

I had my bike tipped over and the quote was $7500. Similar damage to yours, only nobody was riding it. After I got it back from the repairer, it went back to him 3 more times in the next 3 weeks because of stuff ups (like placing phillips head bolts in the fairings, leaving black plastic inner fairings off, etc).

Two years on and I have since found find numerous bodjy job repairs that I've had to fix at my own expense becasue it simply wasn't worth writing letters to QBE, having the bike off the road while it got re-assessed and repaired, etc, etc...

If possible, push for a write off and replacement bike. Mine was off the road for 11 weeks!

Good luck.
Further to Pan's comments. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING.
Talk to everyone involved. Bike shop, assessor and contact at the insurer and ask for their email addy. After the conversation is over confirm everything to them via email, be polite!!!! and positive at all times if you offend someone then you have to deal with their personal feelings.

ie. "Thank you for today’s conversation, I found it so helpful in clarifying the situation as I am inexperienced at these sort of things, to confirm our discussion you stated that ???? insurance will????"

Then everything is clear and admissible in court,emails are admissable as Microsoft found out to their cost LOL. Mostly it never gets that far the insuror realises that you are not a dope and folds. I have never been beaten using this approach.
Bruce
N2O no laughing matter
f*** nos I've got Velocity
PAN,
Not all repairers are "dodgy brothers" like you ended up with.
There are some good, skilled ones around that do a great job.

Its luck of the draw I guess.
Rgds BUSGO

"TAKE MY ADVICE"
I'm not using it anyway!
All good advice for all of us if we are unfortunate to get in this situation. GET IT IN WRITING!
Blackzooks advice on asking for crack checks is a good one too, that will make them definitely think hard about repairs. I'd have to say, the chances of cracks from a small slide are minimal, but hell, it's your life maybe at stake later!

cheers
I agree with ya Busgo. My problem was that I went to reputable repairers that several people (from this site too) had said do great work, and STILL got shafted!

Getting stuff in writing is like an insurance policy on your insurance policy!
"sometimes crime does pay"
seems I should have mine stripped down then & checked

"Busa riders always count in three's.... 100, 200, 300"