HELP!!! running like a hairy goat
if you need those files (manuel) via download let me know in email volvig@optusnet.com.au and if your on cable or adsl with a 10mb per email allowance I cud probably email them to you in 10 parts + 2 minors. Let me know.
Hmmm...parked in the rain........now it has a problem

Any fault codes
Hey guys, thanks to Glen I now have a manual, s it's down to troubleshooting now.

FF, when I rebuilt the fuel pump, I also cleaned out the tank and all screens. I had no choice, there was a lot of crap in the fuel system, thanks to BP. I will look into all of the emision controls though, just in case there is an air leak somewhere.

Rev, I havn't seen any fault codes.

Thanks for the sugestions, keep em coming guys.

Cheers,
Terry
Well, tracked and checked every hose under the tank, and I think I found the culprit. I checked the return fuel line a couple of times, then I spotted the feintest crimp in the hose, near where it attaches to the tank. Fortunately, the hose was long enough that I was able to cut the end off, removing the crimped section.

Started her up after I had replaced the hose, and she seems to be running fine. I will give it another go tomorrow, when she is stone cold, just to be sure.

The crimp in the hose was extremey small, but, when under pressure, the hose appeared to collapse, blocking the return.

Thanks for all the help, hopefully I will be back on the road tomorrow for a well earned ride.

Cheers,
Terry
Done a bit of research about it. For future reference for us all. If the fuel lines are fine then do this.

Test each coil...

Leave all four plugs in the engine, remove air cleaner and seperate the first HT Coil from its harness by undoing the electrical connector. Take a fifth plug that is new/good and install on removed HT Coil now you take and ground this plug to the cylinder head! This can be done by placing the threads of the fifth plug and pressing them against the cylinder head! Make sure you have something that is electrical insulated to hold the plugs, don't want to get jolted.... With everything turned on and clutch in turn the motor over while watching the plug! Should produce a nice blue arc at the electrode! Your looking for a yellow/blue or all yellow spark that is weak. IF you see this condition at any of the tested HT Coils you have narrowed your problem down to this system.

CAUTION: THE COIL YOU TEST WITH SPARK PLUG
MUST BE GROUNDED AT ALL TIMES WHEN FIRING THE BIKE! OR YOU CAN DAMAGE THE ECU

and thats it. one for the database.
For info only. I am just completing the best hump mod ever anywhere. Proper security and cool too. Done, ready to go in the next couple of weeks. have done the hard yards and twisted many an arm. Drop me an email if any of you guys are interested (for a full and boring description) but Aussies stick it too the rip off seppos once again. How dare some manufaturers charge so much for so little workmanship. Sorry, almost fell off my soapbox.

thundercomposites@primusonline.com.au
thunder_composites.com.au

Can't even write properly. Is that a proper sentence?
Diablo - When I had a bad load of fuel in my '99 - I went to repco and bought a metal high flow car filter and got a couple of 45 deg brass corners from hardware shop and hacksawed them down one side opened them up enough to slide fuel line in (one either end of filter) which stops it from kinking when it heats up - secured them with cloth tape (no scratching) and then got a nice piece of 1/2 inch thick to tape around the outside of the metal filter - there is plenty of room to do this and it works a treat.
Greg (BettyBusa) showed me this after he had the same issue with his '00.

Ruffy
Thanks Ruffy, I'll give it a go.

Took the old girl for a run, not as bad, but problem not completely solved either.

I think I will have to leave it to the mechanic.

Cheers,
Terry
I've had similar probs with both my 99 ers.

Got around it by getting rid of the fuel pressure regulator filter & installing an inline filter similar to Ruffy's fix. You just get tired of yanking that cheese pump off every 10,000 k's or so for a muck out

You can pick when the regulator filter is completely blocked by your fuel consumption read out. (14-15 K's per litre )
& a sooty exhaust.

Designed by a mechanical fuckwit