camera on busa
(10-09-2011, 06:28am)fasterfaster Wrote: Probably best and cheapest is if you already have a video camera with "S" video input simply purchase a Sony colour pencil cam and plug it in. have been using one for about 15 years with no problem. Advantage of on helmet compared to on bike is that you film what you look at. Have some great and interesting footage over the years ................ including a great roadblock episode in Tassie with a cop going off his nut.
thought of trying to use my own camera with the pencil cam but how do you turn the camera on an off while rideing or do you have to pull over. Confused

(10-09-2011, 12:56pm)davecrowley Wrote:
(10-09-2011, 06:28am)fasterfaster Wrote: Probably best and cheapest is if you already have a video camera with "S" video input simply purchase a Sony colour pencil cam and plug it in. have been using one for about 15 years with no problem. Advantage of on helmet compared to on bike is that you film what you look at. Have some great and interesting footage over the years ................ including a great roadblock episode in Tassie with a cop going off his nut.
thought of trying to use my own camera with the pencil cam but how do you turn the camera on an off while rideing or do you have to pull over. Confused

A lot of the newer cameras don't have an input. My old sony has "SVideo in and firewire DV in, and would have trouble gettin Mic audio to work with those inputs except at line level, but my newer Canon Hard disc based HD unit only has outputs.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
I have been thinking to buy a camera for the old fella for xmas/birthday. Just read everyones comments and Im still confused which way to go. I think a camera that he could mount on the bike and when he wants on the helmet. Often when im out riding , ill see something and think," wow,that would make a great photo". So maybe something thats capable of still shots as well,would be great.
Also reasonably easy to veiw playback, on the laptop or TV.
Being a pressie for my lovely hubby, im not too concerned about the price.(within reason, Im not a rockafella)

I need some help ppl..
ContourHD.

Smaller than a gopro, about the same price, same features.
[Image: contour-hd-1080p-1000w.jpg]
Finaly after some reminders from Bazman I have decided to finish my "camera in a mirror housing" project in time for Tathra. The story so far:

First prototype - worked well enogh, but no acess to the buttons and hard to take the camera out. Not to mention heavy because all of the epoxy inside and no mirror adjustability Idiot2

Started on the Gen2 (Lol2) aiming for a weight reduction, wider field of wiew, full functionality of the mirror and access to the start/stop button. The remote USB connection for charging and downloading the footage will also become handy.

New housing (thanks go to Skidmarks for donating one for my exeriments)

Camera mounted

Ready for foaming

Finished and ready for a trial.

Now that last weekend before the big trip will test whether it works at all to avoid any embarasment later Embarassed

Cheers.
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
There'll be cameras everywhere Clap at Tathra this year.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
The thing that annoys me about gopro is they are impractical to use on a bike unless your smart enough to do something like Shifu has . You can't ride along with it turned on as the battery die's in stand by . So when you want to film you have to turn the camera on (press 1 button ) then to record you have to press another button . With the camera on your helmet,
You can't see the Red lights to tell if it's ON or Recording . If a bug splats on the lense you don't know till you stop & look . My Son bought one for mountain biking & 5 week's after buying one they released a newer model .
Even the resellers weren't aware they were coming. Every thing to make them easy to use is an Optional extra & There is always another Add on being released to make up for what they Forgot on the 1st one . You can't see where your aimed or watch what you have recorded in the field ,without the addition of an optional $120-00 ish LCD Screen which clips on the back.There is a WI FI attachment in the pipeline which will make the LCD screen redundant but Who knows when we will see that or how much. The WI Fi will stream to your mobile phone screen & be able to use phone button's to record stop etc . The anti shake is also poor when mounted solidly to the bike . They are without doubt the Best Camera for Quality Pic's But, BY the time they get it right & you purchase All the add on's Needed ,Your looking at a $600 dollar camera which is still a Stupid Shape to mount Any where . Once the Chinese start pumping out Decent quality Unit's With Bullet camera Like Pete's & A screen you attach to the headstem & Remote Wireless Record button's & quality pic's .I Won't be borrowing the GoPro . EVER . To be Fair My Son Love's it , But what do young people Know except computer's .

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
I still think the go pro is the way to go .
Its trial and error to get the best picture that works for you.
I have a tank mount which works well for me but I'm a bit reluctant to upload any footage due to the fact that my speedo is in the picture .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(18-11-2011, 07:51pm)Shifu Wrote: Finaly after some reminders from Bazman I have decided to finish my "camera in a mirror housing" project in time for Tathra. The story so far:

First prototype - worked well enogh, but no acess to the buttons and hard to take the camera out. Not to mention heavy because all of the epoxy inside and no miror adjustability Idiot2

Started on the Gen2 (Lol2) aiming for a weight reduction, wider field of wiew, full functionality of the mirror and access to the start/stop button. The remote USB connection for charging and downloading the footage will also become handy.

New housing (thanks go to Skidmarks for sending me one)

Camera mounted

Ready for foaming

Finished and ready for a trial.

Now that last weekend before the big trip will test whether it works at all to avoid any embarasment later Embarassed

Cheers.

Nice work Shifu!!
(19-11-2011, 01:03pm)DAZ Wrote: I still think the go pro is the way to go .
Its trial and error to get the best picture that works for you.
I have a tank mount which works well for me but I'm a bit reluctant to upload any footage due to the fact that my speedo is in the picture .

I Know you luv yours Daz , Just keep an eye on what the sneaky prick's
are up to & you won't be buying stuff their about to make obsolete ,good for their Bottom line but not yours .

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
Well, had a short trial of the new setup and bar some initial problem with the USB cable (chinese made) all seems to be working just fine. The button at the front is easily accesible and you can feel it with the gloves no problems. The mirror is fully usable as well. Best part - 350 grams lighter than the first proto Pi_thumbsup Colision with bugs still a potential issue but that applies to all the cameras without automatic lens wipers Lol3
General comment on the topic. A lot of people mount them to show the speedo so they can brag how fast they were going. (No offence DAZ but a biker with some experience can tell how fast it is without looking at it.) That is OK if they want to do it and risk the cops getting the footage, but there are many things obstracting/distorting the view (like the windshield for example and you restricted to clear ones as well) in comparison with a clear road ahead.

(That black spot is a dead fly)
That is only my opinion though.
Peter, regarding the GoPro updates - the firmware updates are free and readily downloadable from their site. They fixed a lot of issues and now you can do an upside down (you might notice my camera is mounted that way for better fitment) and one button operation as well. They also have beeping codes to tell you what is happening without the need for the screen or looking at the red light. OK, you need to swith you engine off to hear them but you do not need to take the camera out of the housing really unless you want to change the SD card or the battery.

Cheers, Biker
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
I've uploaded some footage from my go pro with the camera mounted on the rear of the bike to see how it looks , you be the judge . Think it looks like I'm going slow .
I got some more mounts coming and it should give me lots of oppositions of where I can mount the camera to get some great shots.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VuCxPb9uH8
Ah, Tippett Rd, one of my Favourites!
here`s a couple of clips with an Oregon ATC 9K HD cam.
absolutely great camera that. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m7MGn4ANwQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DwF7t5TqTk
you can tell this is a classy place.....
the graffiti is spelt right.....!
new mount
tippet rd test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnXQ4MVjsYM
http://youtu.be/l4TL_Yr0LVM
This site has all the reviews and links to the mounts that I purchased
http://www.pashnit.com/product/gopro/gop...nting.html

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)