are turbo bikes road legal in australia?
all my kit including the filter is hidden under the fairings.... hense "stealth mode". (like Greg's above).

bought the busa new in 03, got it turbo'd same year. Never been told i couldn't have a turbo on it, busa even went out of rego while i was overseas one year, came back went to the local motorbike shop, got a RWC and re-registered. (letting the old bloke who had been ridding for 40yrs hav a rid of it prob helped my casue alot). Although i think i have been the 'luckiest' rider in the world. I was using a full system too. When i did get pulled over, the gloves came off and straight over the boost gauge.

If you run a dump pipe, have gauges all over your dash you won't last long before the cops have their say.

I'm not to worried about hp... anything 250 and above will keep you on your toes and keep those eyes wide open like dinner plates. 300 will keep you happy.
Regards
Grant
(Townsville, QLD)

www.stickersuperstore.com.au (for your sticker and sign needs)

Smitten 03 with a hair dryer - slammed and stretched (stealth mode engaged)
(17-08-2010, 08:58am)Macbusa Wrote: all my kit including the filter is hidden under the fairings.... hense "stealth mode". (like Greg's above).

bought the busa new in 03, got it turbo'd same year. Never been told i couldn't have a turbo on it, busa even went out of rego while i was overseas one year, came back went to the local motorbike shop, got a RWC and re-registered. (letting the old bloke who had been ridding for 40yrs hav a rid of it prob helped my casue alot). Although i think i have been the 'luckiest' rider in the world. I was using a full system too. When i did get pulled over, the gloves came off and straight over the boost gauge.

If you run a dump pipe, have gauges all over your dash you won't last long before the cops have their say.

I'm not to worried about hp... anything 250 and above will keep you on your toes and keep those eyes wide open like dinner plates. 300 will keep you happy.

yep it'll have boost guages and dump pipes everywhere. it'll be switchable boost, so i can run 98 pump, then increase the boost for racing fuel. it just gives an extra 50hp or so.

it'll also have monstrous intercoolers sprouting from each side of the block with associated ducts and pipes way out in the breeze infront of my knees.

this bike will scream unroadworthiness, so i would like a piece of paper to wave at mr plod when required.
mine ran at 342hp on 95 pump fuel, no 98 around here , 14 psi
staged from 4 psi in 1st
(17-08-2010, 09:20am)Maj Wrote: mine ran at 342hp on 95 pump fuel, no 98 around here , 14 psi
staged from 4 psi in 1st

can i ask, is that big money to do properly on a busa?

14psi !!!! thats getting up there isn't it? any torque figures?

is it still at 342, or did something give?
Thats all i wanted to push it to , ran to 20 psi initially while getting the boost controll setup, and saw injector size limiting from about 18 as it started running leaner ,
This motor is decompressed,ceramic coated std pistons, gen 1 valves, aftermarket valve springs and head studs
turbo kit is part RCC and part my own build , i selected a slightly different turbo to the RCC using a gt3071 , and made my water /air intercooler system , the engine management and boost control is all done through the std ecu
so costs are not as high as your 14 may be , I am not going to get into a price comparison to Jamie , its his bread and butter, for me its a hobby and i don't count the time i spend on my build as billable but if i paied someone to do what i do it probably would be scary
McTavish old chap, how would you like to buy my Busa and turbo charge it?
All this turbo talk is making me scared and probably I ought to start looking around for a bike I could do my knitting on, say like a Royal Enfield Single 500!
I'll miss my Busa but I know it will go to a good home!
What do you think?
They tell me there's a push from Politicians to ban riders 50y.o. riders and over from big bikes. What's the latest on these do-gooders and wankers?
FP
Legal?

Many people on this forum run their street bikes with after-market pipes WITHOUT a cat converter... and I've heard that's a $20,000 fine!
I had no idea that a turbo could look this much neat & stealth-like!!??!!
(....and I wish I STILL didn't know.....this pic has really got me thinking about certain ummm, things now!!) Drool Clap

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Baz, Arthur has his for sale (Gen1) and it's just as stealth!
(17-08-2010, 11:13am)pan Wrote: Legal?

Many people on this forum run their street bikes with after-market pipes WITHOUT a cat converter... and I've heard that's a $20,000 fine!

Why don't we just ring the local constabulary, tell them what's wrong with our bikes, and invite him and his colleagues around with a wad of infringement notices? Scary Pi_freak
(17-08-2010, 11:30am)pan Wrote: Baz, Arthur has his for sale (Gen1) and it's just as stealth!

I thought arthurs' package was a show-her Undecided.....not a grow-er?!? Scary (......that line should get a few lady members ears all pricked up!!Lol3)

arthur, do tell pls?

Coolsmiley
Mine runs a small pod filter that protrudes through the fairing, full exhaust, and extra guages including boost.

Had one cop walk around the bike twice and still never say anything.

Mine also has a Qld Transport mod plate for turbo and intercooler.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(17-08-2010, 11:13am)bazman Wrote: I had no idea that a turbo could look this much neat & stealth-like!!??!!
(....and I wish I STILL didn't know.....this pic has really got me thinking about certain ummm, things now!!) Drool Clap

stealth can be great, but stealth is not what i'm after with this bike. frankly, i'm after a vulgar and obscene monstrosity which flaunts all of its frankenstein bits on the outside. nasty industrial look.
(17-08-2010, 01:06pm)Chuffed Wrote: Mine runs a small pod filter that protrudes through the fairing, full exhaust, and extra guages including boost.

Had one cop walk around the bike twice and still never say anything.

Mine also has a Qld Transport mod plate for turbo and intercooler.

did this process require an engineers report? is your paperwork bullet proof if a copper starts to probe into it?
It does require an engineers report in the sunny state and they are required to meet a hp to braking power rule, so you can forget about those huge numbers and road legal.
The point i was making was legality never stopped me & a majority of owners from making any alterations to a bike. When i decided i wanted to own a turbo busa for the road it was always going to be a sleeper. When it was being sorted i told the builder i wanted something user friendly for road riding ,thats exactly what i got . I can honestly say i would never be satisfied with a stock busa again. Reading back over what you want to do & have a turbo bike that screams LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME for the road is going to be tricky, as has been stated it going to draw attention .Off all the photos of turbos for the road on this site from what i remember have all been stealth. Don't know what the story is on hot rods & buckets with big blocks with blowers & the like, but with what you want to build there may be club reg .Dont knock the 500 single ,i've had the best ever day of my life on a bike in 53 years of riding on a 600 in a novice race of an interclub .