Pilot Road 2 $$$$
Leviathan ,

In a nutshell, tyre manufactureres do not recomend mixing tyres but many people do. Tyres are desinged as a set to complement each other and one would hope that the manufacturers who spend $m developing this stuff know what they are doing.

Yes there is a difference in profiles but similar tyres from the same manufacturer probably not so much to worry about. Like most things to do with riding, modern stuff is so good unless you make a radical change or are an extreme rider you will be hard pressed to notice a marked difference.

Many people use a softer front than back - Pilate Power on the front and Pilot Road on the back is a popular combination. The softer bridgie and slightly harder one on the back (016/021 or is it the other way) is another. This is to give better grip on the front and better tyre life on the back.

this strategy would be more useful with single compound tyres but not so much with dual compounbd wihc have softer edges for more stickiness when you are leaning over (when it is required).

FYI I ride on Pilot Road 2s on both my Busa and Ducati and can not fault them. So far the tyres have far outstripped my ability and I put in lots of miles including long distances (about 30,000km last year) and do 3 or 4 track days per year. Even on the track I chicken out long before the tyres start to slip.

the other use for softer tyres is for extreme cold ie Canberra. Melbourne or Tas were the softer ruber "warms" quicker - or you could try riding slower for the first ten minutes to give boththe tyres nadthe engine time to properly warm up.... In either case its a trade off, softer tyres better grip (if you are pushing it) = fewer ks.

Do a search on tyres on this and any board and you will get as many views as riders (for a laugh try it on oil as well). this is just my view

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Thanks for your feedback guys. The tyre shop guy said pretty much the same thing as you Steven Pi_thumbsup, but I always like to get a few opinions.

Thanks
Troy
Photobucket

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.