The lead up to your Big bike ........
Ozboc Wrote:[quote=Rev004]
A very good point that you have raised and yes it certainly sends alarm bells ringing for myself as well. I did some motorcycle instructing here in WA and couldn't believe the number of people that

Rev , you also had the Vf500 - I had the Candy apple Red and white one - cant remember the year - which one did you have ?? this was my first road bike and i loved it

Boc

Boc I had a 85 VF500F Black one with the red and White trim qand would have to agree with you as also loved it. I did about 50,000kms on it and found it to be a great bike in all aspects. If I had to do it all over again I would definately still buy one of these.

I would have to agree with A lot of the comments here and I think one thing that guys like us ( I mean have like 30yrs riding exp of some sort ) need to remeber bikes have come a long way. I remember when I 1st got my Licence my old man telling me to take my time and don't be in a rush get the experiecne on the road and this will help equip you for the bigger bikes. All my mates back then had the Katanas and CB1100R's need I say more but did I get a bagging when I brought a 250 but hey I loved it and it did the job for me to learn about the road on. I am a guy that spent 7 months off work when I way 17 coming flying into a corner late afternoon / Dusk - sun in the eyes and next minute I was sliding down the road. When I Managed to pick myself up of the road I couldn't believe the rubble that was sitting across the road in the shade of the trees and thought to myself how the hell have a managed to walk away from this. As this was happening a good Friend of mine was coming the other way and saw the whole thing unfold in front of him and said it looked like poetry in motion he watched me put the bike on the side and kick away from it which was really good until he said the bike it this huge boulder which caused the bike to get airbourne which is where things went wrong for me as the bike landed on me and continued on it's way with me in tow, But hey I lived to tell the tale and have never looked back. I have been off since but I can say that they were my fault as I shouldn't have been f*&^ing around like I was and not treating the bike with the respect it deserved ( How many people would own up and say that when they have been off).
So in saying that I would have to agree with the comments about time in the saddle getting the k's up is one of the best things anyone can do. I also believe that you can do all the courses in the world but unless you practise what you have learnt so it becomes habbit you will never use it when things do go pear shape so if you want the stuff you have learnt to help you you must practise what you have learnt.
Anyway time to get of the soap box and let someone else have ago and say to all have a safe and enoyable ride when you go out.
Started out on 1 50cc, about 8yrs old (you know the old mini bike) then several 250's, an XJ600, SR750, VFR1000 (the old Bol-Dor), then a XJ900. After that, I got a bit more financial, bought a TLR1000, and loved it! Traded the TLR for a VN1500, till I got bored, then traded that on a 99bus, then sold that for the current beast, a K8LTD.

All up, about 35years of riding.
Cheers,
Terry
started about 7 years ago on a virago 250, had that for three months then upgraded to a virago 1100. had that till i got my full bike license 12 months later and bought a gixxer 600 which i had for about 1 week before gettting the shits with it and buying my first busa at 19 with 18 months riding experience or so. then sold that 12 months later and bought a suzuki m109r and sold it to buy a 99 model hayabusa, i then killed the busa and bought a vl800 to get around on till i decided to sell the busa or fix it. then i bought an 08 hayabusa and sold the other two.
so in 6 years of riding ive had:
virago 250
virago 1100
gixxer 600
hayabusa
m109r
hayabusa
vl800
08 hayabusa (current)

ive only just turned 23 and havent had an accident. havent even dropped a bike yet. i started out slow on the busa and just went along at watever pace i felt comfortable at. its got alot to do with attitude and how you approach riding the fastest bikes around. i know people who have been riding for 20-30 years and i consider my self a better ride, not because im faster or more skilled but because i know my limits and stick to them. having said that i dont think my bike progression was a good one and i only stayed upright because i generally keep a level head and stay ultra aware. i commute everyday by the way havent had a car for 4 years now
Regards

Dan
Like DJ said, don't get me going on bike numbers...everyone's bored shitless with it already....

Just over 42 years with a bike licence though. Yeah........ so you can do the numbers, good on ya ....Very Happy My last prang was when I was 21 (touch wood).....slammed my Honda 750 into the back of a car coz it wouldn't stop. Err, might have been ogling a chick at the time (speaking of not stopping, some things never change)..Lol3 Some blokes call the busa "Pinnocchio's bike "...........................

(wooden brakes) Confused

You can go from a 250 to a 1000 or bigger no problem. The problems begin though when riders exceed their limitations with regard to braking & cornering. They never realise where that limitation is until they go beyond it & then it's all too late because everything is happening so damn quickly for them at their level of experience on a bike they're out of their depth on.

On the other hand a graded capacity progression gets a rider's "eye in" & makes them better able to judge correct braking points & have something in reserve for unforseen circumstances by virtue of more experience. You might have a bit of a chuckle about the "getting the eye in" bit but to this day I still do that by always starting off slowly & taking it easy for an hour or two.

Right Giddyup ? Lol3

Looking at the aviation example, you cannot get a pilot's licence on Cessna's & be allowed to fly 747's with 100 hours on the puddle jumper in your log book. Sure, a Cessna pilot could possibly handle a 747 but you wouldn't want to be a passenger for the landing would you Roll

Of course the other option is 250 then unlimited & take it easy for a few years................................................yeah right. Coolsmiley
Never ride the A model of anything.
I looked everywhere for your "Most Bikes Ever" award Rev.
Can't find it...:-(
I don't mind the average punter going from a 250 to a litre bike. As with everything, there's an infinite number of ways to live a life, there's buckets of ways to progress through bikes.

Riding an R1 is far easier than riding a RGV250. A lot of inexperienced riders of the female persuasion are being ushered onto the litre sports bikes because they are so much more controllable and the women can be trusted not to OD on testosterone. A litre bike will have more torque down low and thus give more tractable power and be more user friendly in traffic. Even the busa is a complete pussy cat unless you want to throttle up. And even then you almost have to re-grip the throttle and twist again.

There are bikes that are dangerous, but these are not necessarily bracketed by being big bore bikes. For me, the most dangerous bike I own is my XR650R. At 50hp it's not even a third of a busa, but with the full knobbies it'll spit you off quicker than llama being raped by a pack of horney hyenas.

I think I eventually got my busa to about 85% of it's capacity. But that was after doing a few courses and getting some time on the litre sports bikes. With my 1098S I think I'm at about 5-10% of it's capabilities. It scares me. But I know how to train up to it. The XR is completely different for me and I'm lucky to get on it without crashing.

PS 250 two-strokes are the bizz. Just crap in peak hour.
There ya go Rev...
The search on this Forum is great...

Quote from Rev...

Here's a few oldies & newies I've had over the years
Pre licence:
Corgi 98cc Paratrooper
Royal Enfield 125
BSA 150 Super Bantam
Velocette 350 MAC
Sunbeam 350
Royal Enfield 500 Bullet
Ariel 500 Red Hunter
Adler 500
Panther 600 Sloper
Indian 1200 Chief
Norton 600 Dominator
Triumph 500 Speed Twin
Triumph 650 Thunderbird

Post licence:
Triumph 500 Speed Twin
Honda CB 72 250
Honda CB 450
Kawasaki H1 500 Triple
Honda CB 750
Yamaha DT 250
Kawasaki Z1 900
Yamaha TT 500
Honda CBX 1000
Kawasaki Gpz 750 turbo
Suzuki GSX 1100 RK
Yamaha 1200 vmax
Hayabusa
Riding 23yrs

Several small dirt & road bikes.
Honda 500 V Twin
Honda 650 V Twin Turbo
Kwaka 1000RX
GSXR 1000
GSXR 1100
BUSA (3yrs)

Have only been off once.
A little pee wee sucker hit me from behind on the freeway when I was riding the 1000rx.

I did drop the same bike once. Very embarrasing. I was stopped at the lights & my left ankle got itchy. I bent over to scratch & lost ballance. Over she went. I was right at the front too, so everyone in the line behind me got to watch. Was a bitch of a thing to pick up.
ok my 2c

i think everyone needs to do an apprenticeship but there are always a few individuals that have natural talent ( goes with everything )

in 13 years of riding - all road

fzr 250 for 1 year
yzf 600 thundercat for 3 months
yzf 600 thundercat - yes 2 - for 9 years
05 busa

touch wood only 1 prang

I dont think id be here if i went straight to a busa.
Grew up on mx bikes as a kid. Went through 4 different 250's over about 10 years. Finally got money together and against much advice, got a Honda CBR1100XX. Fkn nice bike. Had it for a couple of years then it got stolen. Then stepped up to a Busa and wrote it off in an accident after couple of years, drivers fault for not giving way. Then got another bussa.

Prob should have made progression through smaller bikes as I think it adds to ability. Get used to hammering smaller bike, then step up. Get used to hammering bigger bike, then step up again. Either way, I love my bussa, and wouldnt swap for anything else.
vtr 250, vtr1000, busa (turbo)
Regards
Grant
(Townsville, QLD)

www.stickersuperstore.com.au (for your sticker and sign needs)

Smitten 03 with a hair dryer - slammed and stretched (stealth mode engaged)
Aprilia RS125, Honda VTR1000F, Busa.

Did the HART Learners and Probationary License days in VIC, the Q-Ride course in QLD and just after I bought my busa (and went to the GP - woohoo), went to a Stay Upright Advanced course.

I think it's essential for people to learn how to handle the ROAD properly. Who gives a crap about the bike, even a monkey can ride a bike. It's learning to look out for morons on the road that's the real skill.

TYCHO's right though - I got so used to riding my 125 I could hammer it anywhere, then I stepped up. Got used to my VTR so much I could hammer it anywhere, then stepped up.
I had a Matchless 500 Single - anyone remember those?

Too many to list, too many forgotten and yep I can own up to doing my part in plenty of stacks - I wrote 3 bikes off in 2 years, stunting on the streets, total idiot lernt the hard way and I still stand by my belief that everyone should do courses no matter how good they "think" they are and do some track time (see fallen rider Danny who died recentley (RIP))

more k's in teh saddle help volumes but you still gotts to lern how to handle, steer, control blah blah before and during - very few of us are naturally talented like the GP Pros - I have ranted way too many times on this subject so I will stop now .... should have a few sentences ago :)
Egos; everyone got one
Ok talking about ages and lead up to a busa.

What say you to a 12yo kid doing an 8.39 pass........on a busa? Just what bike could he lead up to?

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Terry...7a012b79da
[Image: SigPic100.jpg] Copper/Silver - The original, the rest are just copies.
Volvi Wrote:Ok talking about ages and lead up to a busa.

What say you to a 12yo kid doing an 8.39 pass........on a busa? Just what bike could he lead up to?

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Terry...7a012b79da
unbloodyreal.
But you gotta ask the question is it responsible?
Another thread maybe...lol
I felt guilty today when my daughter (10yo) had a fall at Parkour...