tyres help me
BUSGO Wrote:Whilst I acknowledge your personal preference for tyre pressures and selection Geoff, I should think that running any tyre on a busa at 29psi is way too low. I wouldn't recommend that pressure to any newbie or inexperience busa owner.

The recommended pressure for a hayabusa is 42psi front and back whether one or two up on standard suspension settings and stock tyres. For its intended purpose, a true sports tourer, these pressures are ideal and should only be adjusted down for heavier loads or for track work.
You are quite correct that by running the pressure low you work the heat in to the tyres quickly but any distance travelled at those pressures is going to reduce the lifespan and grip of the tyres dramatically. It could even lead to a blowout or tread separation over long distance.

Ok, very good point. Mentioning that I run 29psi front and rear is not a good thing to advertise on a forum where newbies might read it and think yeah sounds good and kill emselves. For those who don't know me, I weigh 70 kilos and ride like Speedy Gonzalez on heat.

For the newbies;

1. I would never ride at these pressures for a long distance, eg touring, or if I was carrying luggage or a passenger.
2. I check my tyre pressures every day when I am running them this low. Low pressures heat up quicker and get hotter making the compound softer, contact patch bigger, and allows for greater flex in tyre. Once at temperature they are about 32psi, a gain of 13psi. On the downside, when they cool they loose pressure from starting pressure. I have ridden (HARD) for 90ks and the next day had 27psi front and 26psi rear.
3. I check the condition of my tyres everyday. Inspecting for lateral tears, chunking, scalloping, ridging, cuts and wall damage.
4. Being treaded tyres, at these pressures there is a very real chance of delaminating or chunking of sections of tread. Known to be extremely dangerous, I am well aware of this risk when I choose these pressures.
5. I spend a great deal of time trialing and adjusting suspension settings appropriate to the tyre pressures that I run.

Basically, I know what I am doing running lower than recommended pressures and the risks involved, and I choose to accept them. I DO NOT recommend these pressures to beginners or persons with limited experience. If you donâ€t know what you are doing or have never been advised or taught on a track, or by a professional rider, than please follow the recommended tyre pressures as listed in the operating manual for your bike.

I apologise for the previous statements about tyre pressures and hope that nobody was STUPID enough to take it as advice.

Geoff

PS Busgo, I was bragging a bit. I gennerally run 32 to 34psi. I only run 29 for short preiods on special occasions. (like when some wanker says that their R1 can out perform my Hayabusa on a twisty road) Cant let them go on thinking that an R1 is better than a Busa now can I?

Messages In This Thread
tyres help me - by crispy - 24-05-2007, 03:15am
RE: tryes help me - by ROD - 24-05-2007, 04:46am
RE: tryes help me - by xocet - 24-05-2007, 06:40pm
RE: tryes help me - by simmo - 24-05-2007, 07:17pm
RE: tryes help me - by Rocketrod - 24-05-2007, 11:02pm
RE: tryes help me - by maggot - 24-05-2007, 11:09pm
RE: tryes help me - by BUSGO - 24-05-2007, 07:27pm
RE: tryes help me - by Braddo - 24-05-2007, 08:17pm
RE: tryes help me - by RaZz0R - 25-05-2007, 08:30am
RE: tryes help me - by CapeBusa - 25-05-2007, 01:49pm
RE: tryes help me - by mybb - 25-05-2007, 05:50pm