Stay Upright Advanced Course Review
Here's a bit more detail as to what this course did for me.
Hopefully this may inspire others to do it or think faaaark Pete what were u thinking b4?
I consider myself a good rider, especially in the areas of predicting what a car may do etc, but riding technique really was 0 as I have had no training at all in 30 years.
In other words I was street smart.

1: Emergency stopping, before:never really done it as practice, figured dont get in trouble won't have to use it.
Now: very confident in doing one, know exactly what to do with front and rear timing, am practicing it before each ride as routine now.

2: Slaylam, could do it fine before but had never tried it powering on and off, this way gives you more feel of how the bike turns in depending on throttle position...off throttle bike drops in, on throttle bike sort of drives in.

3:Bike position, before I would be a little back in the seat, now I am as close as practical to the tank, weight over front wheel more, the difference in this is amazing, so much more control and confidence at high speed.
Arms also always relaxed not out stretched.
Of course no absorbsion at all when your arms are tight, actually all bumps etc are exagerated through you!
Now more relaxed when riding, this was not a huge prob for me b4 but just being aware of it makes a big difference.

4:Cornering: main cause of bike accidents is overshooting corners...why? riders don't look far enough ahead. They don't look through the corner as far as possible, they focus a little closer to the bike, before I was guilty of this. Now I'm looking right around the corner as far as possible and then scanning back towards the bike for pot holes or whatever, but the main focus is now as far ahead as poss. This has made an enormous difference already.

Also before a corner brake (front only) then down shift to correct gear for corner, go through corner and only accelerate when you see the end of the corner, that way the bike is powering on it's way up and can't slide...the bike is coming upright again.
Before I would down shift first to slow bike (using back and front brake sometimes) then accelerate as much as possible through corner trying to play catch up...wrong!
I am so confident now through corners...

Head/body position: It was pointed out that I was looking perfect for lh corners but looked like another rider when going through rh corners. Now I am focussing on keeping the balance correct.
I didn't even realise I was weaker on rh corners. Obviously not pyscological just technique.
Using a little rear brake (feathering to stabilise bike or get rid of a little speed) through corners. Never did it b4

5: Slow turning:
Before I would just use a little front brake when manouvering slow. Now I use back brake feathering and this stabilises the bike, the difference is amazing.

6: Blipping throttle to down shift whilst front braking:
Never used to use front brake as well as blipping throttle down gears, I would use rear brake.
Now it is so much easier and less movement of feet etc. Can't believe I wasn't doing this. I know it is standard training when you get your license these days...but hey I got mine 25 yrs ago!

Well that's most of it, there were other smaller things but these are the main ones.

I hope this helps a few out there.
Sorry if I just scared the crap outta some of the others who have ridden with me b4!

My confidence before was around a 7.
Now it's about 9.
!!!

Cheers,
Pete

Z Web World
Mobile Dj, Web Design,
Photography, Bullshit Artist!Edited by: Djpete at: 23/10/05 1:57 pm

Messages In This Thread
Stay Upright Advanced Course Review - by Djpete - 21-10-2005, 06:32pm
Top Stuff - by Bazoomatic - 21-10-2005, 09:19pm
Re: Top Stuff - by pan - 21-10-2005, 09:30pm