Short storage checklist
Regarding that fuel and oil "going off". I had petrol in a jerry cans for over 5 years - left over from the time when I was driving a pertol car. When I got my bike I just pour it in. All was working fine - no dramas with starting or idling or anything. Providing that the container is full and sealed, the gasolene can be stored for years without any degradation. The problem is only an evaporation of the more volatile comonents of it and the oxidation when freely exposed to air. So keep your tank full (you can tape over the veting hole in a cap) and you will have no problems.
If the oil has been run in the engine for a very long time it will become slightly acidic, so perhaps you should change it before hand if you planning to store the bike for a long time - potential corrosion issue. If the oil is reasonably new (and syntethic at that) you do not need to worry about it. Still good idea to start it every now and then to get the clutch lubricated and evaporate the condensed water. Happy storing Pi_thumbsup
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"

Messages In This Thread
Short storage checklist - by sutur - 14-11-2011, 10:58am
RE: Short storage checklist - by BikerBoy - 14-11-2011, 11:23am
RE: Short storage checklist - by sutur - 14-11-2011, 11:35am
RE: Short storage checklist - by ROD - 14-11-2011, 03:53pm
RE: Short storage checklist - by RyanG - 14-11-2011, 05:03pm
RE: Short storage checklist - by Zoro - 14-11-2011, 07:04pm
RE: Short storage checklist - by Shifu - 14-11-2011, 10:50pm
RE: Short storage checklist - by Ward P - 16-11-2011, 05:14pm