My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long)
G'day,
Well, eventually the hoses turned up (on back order) and I pulled the fuel pump (yes a bitch of a job) out and apart and ordered all filters and O rings from Action pmatta - all had to come from Melbourne, another couple of days - but I didn't order a replacement plastic mesh screen (called an insulator in the 'fiche) coz that was another $100 or sumpin. The paper filter and the hemispherical filter and the O rings cost $120. And I got 4 hex drive bolts.
So, to the installation...the pump all went back together without drama, only a little skin off knuckle, about 45 minutes from pieces on floor to installed in bike.
Now, the hoses...fairly obviously not correct becoz no moulded bit on end. As was the old ones. But proper size 7mm with I thought thin walls. So obviously let's get stronger walls if possible, so down to clark rubber - all out. But they did have some insulating type foam sheets. Down to supercheap auto, tried to sell me power steering hose by mistake - all out of fuel hose. Chrissy must be fuel hose time. On to Repco, where I bought 1 metre of reinforced 7mm internal fuel hose. And new hose clamps.
I carefully cut the lengths to match the existing, attached one end to the fuel pump, did a very quick release of the plug and reattachment of the new hose, very little spilt fuel, going well, now what is that trickling noise I hear? Oh, that's the sound of fuel running into the pump and out the other hole! And on to the floor...another quick temporary plug on there and a cleanup and ready to go again on the second hose. At least I am reassured the fuel pump flows OK. Now, I have two ends that are gunna spew fuel as soon as I lettem go...and the end of the existing hose that fits over the barbs (which would be the moulded section I guess?) has to be cut off with a stanley knife. So to cut the humour short, I did not cut my hands with the knife, but did spill some (lots) of fuel getting both ends reattached. You'll have to use your imagination....
And a test ride...one son on repaired bus and me on new one...46km no probs, pull up and he reports some hesitation in last couple of kliks. We swap rides. 2 kliks up the road it stops. I sit and wait a couple of minutes. It starts. 2 kliks up the road it stops. I sit and wait a couple of minutes. It does not start. I lift the seat and bonnet. It starts. I carefully lower the bonnet trying to not kink hoses. 10kliks to home, no probs.
Lesson? Maybe even reinforced hose can be forced to kink when it gets warm enough...and maybe the previous fitter made his hoses too long by a smidgen...and maybe I should be more careful when lowering the bonnet....
So, I reckon I should shorten those hoses an inch or so. But I'll wait until there is less fuel in the tank to spill :-)...and I'll take it out a couple more times for testing before I do that, just to see....
Regards
Kevin
<i></i>

Messages In This Thread
My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long) - by kev11e - 16-10-2006, 11:26am
Re: My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long) - by BUSGO - 16-10-2006, 01:15pm
Re: My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long) - by Volvi - 16-10-2006, 01:29pm
Re: My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long) - by Darryl - 16-10-2006, 02:59pm
Re: My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long) - by CAS3234 - 16-10-2006, 03:59pm
Re: My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long) - by Maj750t - 16-10-2006, 11:35pm
Re: My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long) - by kev11e - 17-10-2006, 11:44am
Re: My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long) - by WARD P - 18-10-2006, 10:40pm
Re: My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long) - by BUSGO - 20-11-2006, 12:01am
Re: My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long) update #2 - by kev11e - 04-01-2007, 09:38am