My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long)
G'day Kev,
You have the exact symptoms I diagnosed last summer.
PAN also started a discussion a week or so ago where he asked for aftermarket fuel lines.
Here is the link but I will repeat my advice herep083.ezboard.com/faustralianhayabusaclubfrm11.showMessage?topicID=821.topic

You will probably find that the fuel pump may not be the problem after all.
The 99 bus is infamous for the fuel lines themselves kinking in hot weather.
The rubber softens with age and develops a kink that blocks off the fuel flow. When the tank is up the lines look ok but as soon as you place the tank back down there is a lot of pressure on the fuel return hose to kink at the point where it joins to the tank. (This is the one closest to the front of the tank).

You can actually see it happen when you place the tank down if you look under with a strong torch.

You must make sure the formed kink in the hose is facing in the correct direction where it connects to the tank and that the clamp is really tight. Also wrap the hose around the sump breather pipe. Stick the hose in the least possible position to have pressure on it.
People that have never removed the hose do not suffer from this problem. It only appears after the hose has been removed and replaced or worn to the point that it spins on the outlet nozzle into the wrong direction.

If it ever happens to me again, I will place an elbow joint in the nozzle to stop the kinking.

This situation is outright dangerous and SUZUKI should have recalled all the 99/00 bikes to be fitted with a better hose.
Instead they just put the fuel pump inside the tank on later models.

Volvi, can you please make this a sticky.

Thanks.

Rgds BUSGO

"TAKE MY ADVICE"
I'm not using it anyway!<i>Edited by: BUSGO at: 20/11/06 1:03
</i>

Messages In This Thread
My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long) - by kev11e - 16-10-2006, 11:26am
Re: My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long) - by BUSGO - 16-10-2006, 01:15pm
Re: My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long) - by Volvi - 16-10-2006, 01:29pm
Re: My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long) - by Darryl - 16-10-2006, 02:59pm
Re: My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long) - by CAS3234 - 16-10-2006, 03:59pm
Re: My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long) - by Maj750t - 16-10-2006, 11:35pm
Re: My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long) - by kev11e - 17-10-2006, 11:44am
Re: My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long) - by WARD P - 18-10-2006, 10:40pm
Re: My bus has the vapours! (sorry - a bit long) - by BUSGO - 20-11-2006, 12:01am