Suspension setup help [Sydney]
I've had dealers attempt to set up suspension for me before and some have no idea.

My suggestion is to do it yourself as each person has preferences for how they like it. First set up front and rear preload. This will ensure that the suspension is working within the right part of its stroke.

Front preload - easiest way is to tie a plastic cable tie around each fork slider. Tight enough so that it stays in position, but loose enough that the fork stanchion can push it down when the front suspension is loaded. Go for a ride and see how far the cable tie gets pushed down under load and heavy braking. Don't be surprised if the forks bottom out as the spring rate is too low if you are heavy. I am 110kg and my front preload is set on maximum. Theoretically the cable tie should only be pushed down to about 10mm from the bottom. You'll feel if the suspension is bottoming out as it feels like the front wheel is skipping under heavy braking. You only need to be going slow in order to feel this.

Rear preload - you will need to measure the static sag (amount the suspension is compressed by the weight of the bike alone) and rider sag (amount the suspension is compressed by the weight of the bike with the rider sitting on it).

Static sag I think is meant to be about 5-10mm. Rider sag is meant to be about 25-30mm.

You will need to work out a way to get the back of the bike completely off the ground and then measure the distance from a fixed spot on the swingarm to a spot on the seat fairing. Try to pick two spots vertically separated.

Put the bike back on the ground and vertical. Measure between the same two spots and should aim to be a 5-10mm less than the unsprung distance you previously measured. ie. the weight of the bike has compressed the suspension 5-10mm.

Now sit on the bike and have someone measure between the same two spots again. Should aim for the suspension to now be compressed by 25-30mm. Adjust by rotating the collar on the rear suspension by the correct c spanner on hammer and punch.

You will need to measure a few times after gently settling the bike back under its own weight and also bouncing it on other occassions as the measurements are effected by stiction of the suspension. Settle on the average.

Your manual indicates where each adjustment is located.

Once you have preload set you can then muck about with compression damping and rebound damping. Personally I do one end at a time and go for big jumps as you can easily feel the difference and will be able to tell whether you have made an improvement or gone too far. Take it easy whilst doing this though as you don't want to confuse your abilities with Casey Stoner and end up binning it because your suspension is out of whack.

The ultimate goal is for both ends to be working at the same rate. Firm enough that the bike doesn't wallow around at high speed, but not so firm that it skips off bumps and pounds your kidneys. This is where you settle on your preference.

In general, if you're a big bloke like me, the stock settings will be way too soft.

I have read articles on this website and others, so maybe someone can post up the links if they know how to find them.

You might get lots of advice (some conflicting), but read it all, take it in and work out what's right for you.

And have fun riding.

Messages In This Thread
Suspension setup help [Sydney] - by John - 07-01-2010, 11:05pm
RE: Suspension setup help [Sydney] - by 09Fatboy - 07-01-2010, 11:29pm
RE: Suspension setup help [Sydney] - by Huls - 08-01-2010, 03:52pm
RE: Suspension setup help [Sydney] - by 1hotbusa - 09-01-2010, 05:57pm
RE: Suspension setup help [Sydney] - by John - 07-02-2010, 07:37pm
RE: Suspension setup help [Sydney] - by 1hotbusa - 07-02-2010, 08:06pm
RE: Suspension setup help [Sydney] - by Troopmaster - 07-02-2010, 08:07pm
RE: Suspension setup help [Sydney] - by John - 08-02-2010, 08:37am
RE: Suspension setup help [Sydney] - by Troopmaster - 08-02-2010, 04:32pm
RE: Suspension setup help [Sydney] - by busa666 - 07-03-2010, 10:54pm