Moto GP
Another weekend draws near with the next round at Motegi in Japan and what will the next event bring, yet another Ducati run away win or will the other find the pace to keep up. Who knows this weekend will be an entirely different race one would think especially with it being the 700th premier class grand prix. I'm still putting my money on Stoner to take the race out with Rossi making in the top 3 as you would expect.

Anyway enough of my dribble here's some more gos from the paddicks.

Rossi nominated for Laureus World Sportsman of the Year award
Friday, 17 April 2009

Fiat Yamahaâ€s World Champion on shortlist of six for prestigious prize.

Reigning MotoGP World Champion Valentino Rossiâ€s achievements in 2008 have been recognised with a nomination for the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year award, an honour that will be decided at the tenth edition of the Laureus World Sports Awards.

Rossi was one of six sportsmen to be entered onto the final shortlist, following a ballot open to the worldâ€s media in a record 112 countries. His rivals for the prize are Olympic gold medal winners Usain Bolt & Michael Phelps, plus Formula 1 World Champion Lewis Hamilton, ATP tennis world number one Rafael Nadal and footballer Cristiano Ronaldo.

It is not the first time that Rossi has been acknowledged by the selection panel; In 2006 he was named as the winner of the Laureus Spirit of Sport Award for his contribution to motorcyclcing.

Previous winners of the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year award are Roger Federer, Michael Schumacher, Lance Armstrong and Tiger Woods.

Ducati reveal details of carbon fibre frame
Friday, 17 April 2009

Italian factory release information on key Desmosedici GP9 change.

Courtesy of Ducati Press

The most significant innovation of the DUCATI DESMOSEDICI GP9 is the monocoque frame in carbon fibre composite.

The technical selection of this type of frame is the next step in the advancement of the bike that has undergone previous major developments in its GP3 and GP7 versions.

The concept of the engine casing has been the guideline of the DESMOSEDICI project. The objective is to create a chassis set-up in which each element carries out a specific function, to obtain the desired rigidity with as little weight as possible, thus attaining maximum efficiency.

The engine, the main frame, the rear sub-frame, the rear suspension system (comprising swing-arm and linkage) and the front suspension system are the main components of the bike.

The basic idea is to abandon the classic concept of the chassis as the element that connects all other elements, in favour of a design in which the engine is the central element to which the main frame, rear sub-frame and rear suspension system are individually connected.

The GP3 was unique in having a rear swing-arm that was attached solely to the engine. In particular both the swing-arm pivot and the suspension linkages were connected directly to the engine without any attachment to the main frame.

The GP7 featured a main frame that was totally detached from the rear sub-frame. Basically the engine was the central element of the bike. The main frame was used as link between the engine and the steering head. The rear sub-frame linked the engine to the seat and to the footpegs and controls. The two frames, main and rear sub-frame, that were still linked to each other on the GP3, were now only attached to the engine on the GP7, meaning that they were smaller and lighter.

On the GP9 the main frame is formed to connect the engine to the steering head. The main frame now also incorporates the air-box in one single construction. This monocoque construction allows the air-box to function efficiently within the main frame.

Choosing to utilise the carbon fibre composite technology to create the frame means that, on the one hand, one can mould the piece into the desired form without incurring enormous equipment costs and, on the other hand, varying levels of rigidity and torsional characteristics can be attained simply by altering the type, the number and the directional orientation of the carbon fibres, using the same equipment.

In testing carried out up until now the GP9 guarantees greater precision and stability in breaking and on entering corners. We maintain, however, that only by using it to race on the various world circuits will we be able to properly evaluate the potential of this technical solution. Employing the said technical solution in competition at the maximum level is the only way to effectively assess it in all its aspects

Bridgestone content with Qatar tyre performance
Friday, 17 April 2009

Japanese manufacturer reflect on first single-tyre race weekend.

The first ever single-tyre MotoGP race was a far-from straightforward affair for rubber supplier Bridgestone, with temperatures different to those of the previous yearâ€s race and recent test in Qatar. The addition of an extra twenty minutes on track and a sandy surface left many riders with adjustments to be made, but Bridgestoneâ€s Race Tyre Development Manager Tohru Ubukata was happy with the companyâ€s adaptation to the delayed desert race.

“The Qatar night race was one of our most difficult tracks last year because of the cold night-time temperatures and the abrasive nature of the sandy track, so we came here this year knowing it would be challenging for our tyres again,” said Ubukata. “However I am happy with the way our soft and medium compound slicks worked this weekend and I believe the wider operating range of each tyre offered a more consistent level of performance this time. Also I was encouraged that our tyres coped well on this week's sandy conditions.

“All the riders favoured the medium compound. Our soft compound suffered graining on the sandy track with the heat and abrasion, but the medium compound worked better in these difficult conditions. Even with the medium compound tyre we had no problems with warm-up performance which was our main problem last year, so it shows the work we have done on widening the operating range of this yearâ€s tyres.”

Bridgestone did not provide any extra rubber for the re-organised Monday race, and Ubukata was impressed by the durability of the existing tyres for overtime work.

“I believe we made the correct selection of two compounds for this first race, and I believe that these options also were ok for the teams. With just 20 tyres per rider, every team had sufficient to complete the race weekend, even though it was extended by one day, so I think new regulation is working ok. All teams were able to complete Mondayâ€s warm-up and race using their original allocation of 20 tyres per rider. The warm-up was run twice as all riders completed it on Sunday as well, so this caused some extra mileage and I think some riders would have liked to have had more front tyres, especially of the medium compound, but tyre strategy is a decision for the teams. This is also a very unusual circumstance, but it shows there is sufficient flexibility in the new single tyre regulations,” concluded the Japanese manager.

MotoGP moves to Motegi for Polini Grand Prix of Japan
Monday, 20 April 2009

Second round of World Championship marks 700th premier class race.

Seven months on from the previous visit, the MotoGP World Championship makes its annual journey to Motegi for the Polini Grand Prix of Japan. The scene of the past two title victories in the premier class, the circuit has been a crucial location for the series in recent years and, although the World Champion will not be confirmed on April 26th, the race still has the potential to have a big say in the final standings for the season.

The first race of the 2009 campaign may have been unpredictable in circumstances –delayed until Monday evening due to atypical desert rain- but the end result went almost according to the script. Casey Stonerâ€s runaway victory left the Australian with a third consecutive win at Qatarâ€s Losail International Circuit, and sitting pretty at the head of the premier class standings. The Ducati Marlboro rider had spent over a year off the top spot, but has a strong case for his regaining the title he previously won in 2007; on only two occasions in the four-stroke era has the winner of the opening race failed to clinch the World Championship.

Stoner has yet to win a MotoGP race at Motegi, although his second place at the track from 2008 was his best result in Japan to date.

Reigning World Champion Valentino Rossi returns to the circuit at which he won the 2008 title, trailing Stoner in the standings after being powerless to stop his rival in Qatar. Rossi has a huge following in Japan, and Motegi is a home race for his Fiat Yamaha team. Teammate Jorge Lorenzo completed the podium at round one, but expressed dissatisfaction at the distance between himself and Stoner during the race.

Motegi was built as a Honda test track, and the factoryâ€s riders have added motivation for a strong performance on the 50th anniversary of the manufacturerâ€s entry in the World Championship. Repsol Hondaâ€s Dani Pedrosa and Andrea Dovizioso lead the Japanese brandâ€s lineup, despite the former still riding injured from a preseason crash, whilst home representation comes in the form of Scot Racingâ€s Yuki Takahashi.

Another rider who can be expected to feature heavily in proceedings in Japan is Rizla Suzuki man Loris Capirossi, unbeatable at Motegi from 2005 through 2007.

The Polini Grand Prix of Japan will be the 700th premier class race. Practice begins on Friday April 24th, with the race itself on Sunday April 26th.

Ezpeleta reflects on unique circumstances for Qatar opener
Monday, 20 April 2009

Dorna CEO explains process involved in Monday MotoGP move

Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta was one of those present for discussions to move Commercialbank Grand Prix of Qatar MotoGP race to Monday night –an unprecedented move for the World Championship- and upon reflection this week the powerful MotoGP head reiterated that the right decision had been made.

“It can rain anywhere in the world, but it is very strange for it to do so in Qatar, above all in the way that it did last Sunday,” Mr. Ezpeleta told motogp.com on Friday. “The kind of rain that we saw for the 125cc race was fairly normal, as that was a shower that stopped soon after, but what happened just before the MotoGP race was not. We already knew that a wet night race was not an option, and the proposal from the Qatari organization to postpone the race opened up possibilities that we will look at for races like Qatar, although it isnâ€t an option for other (daytime) Grands Prix.

“We were there to race, so in the end we were able to find a solution that best suited the majority of teams. It was a decision that was not against any regulation, but there was no precedent for it.”

Mr. Ezpeleta went on to explain that the options had been carefully analysed, saying that; “It was unviable to have a day race, as the tyres available were designed for night temperatures, and we had to have some kind of assurance that we would not experience the same conditions on Monday that we had on Sunday. There was also the need to see if the decision was convenient for the race to be shown on television.

“There had never been a night race until last year, and there has never been a wet night race. So we were applying extraordinary measures that will have to be legislated for the future.”

The problems posed by uncharacteristic rainfall will not lead to a kneejerk reaction affecting the only night race on the MotoGP calendar. The Dorna CEO did, however, refute the idea of another nocturnal event featuring in 2010.

“Qatar will definitely be the only night race. I donâ€t even think that we will plan other night events for the future, because I canâ€t see any circuit at which the conditions would be viable –even in Qatar we didnâ€t have that completely this past weekend.”

Besides the weather, another problem cited by the riders from the season-opener was the reduction of allotted practice time. Mr. Ezpeleta pronounced that he was receptive to their concerns, even saying that “I think that they are right. We wanted to use the engines less, and our first solution was to reduce practice sessions. We later realised that there are other ways of doing it, and the most recent suggestion that the MSMA have received for 2010 –or for this year if it is viable- is to keep one-hour sessions on Friday afternoon, Saturday morning and Saturday afternoon, but with a lap limit to keep engine use down.”

Pedrosa claims “ten degrees more movement” for Japan date
Monday, 20 April 2009

Spanish rider explains knee progress and reveals lingering elbow pain.

Dani Pedrosaâ€s road to recovery may have suffered a minor diversion when he collided with Alex de Angelis in Qatar, but the Spaniard believes that his fitness is steadily improving in the run-up to the Polini Grand Prix of Japan.

The injured star suffered a knock to his elbow when hit by the San Carlo Honda Gresini man in the opening race of the year, but Pedrosa is claiming improvement in the condition of his recently-operated knee.

“Iâ€m looking forward to this weekend in Japan. My leg is improving all the time and the knee is gaining a little bit more mobility every day. I donâ€t have the full range of movement yet, but I think that by the time we get to Motegi Iâ€ll have about ten degrees more of movement than in Qatar, which should make quite a big difference,” says the Repsol Honda rider as he previews the second race of the 2009 season.

“My elbow is also getting better after the hit De Angelis gave me in Qatar - thereâ€s still some pain and stiffness but I hope it wonâ€t be a problem in Japan. My priority is still to reach full fitness so that I can ride at 100 per cent, and then we must focus on the machine because I missed out on quite a lot of winter testing and weâ€re still not at the level weâ€d like to be. Itâ€s a case of taking things one step at time - first to get full fitness and then improve the bike step-by-step.”

Pedrosa finished eleventh in the Commercialbank Grand Prix of Qatar, his lowest placing since the 2008 Czech Republic round.

700th Premier Class race milestone to be celebrated in Japan.
Monday, 20 April 2009

A look back over some memorable landmarks in the premier class since its inception in 1949.

This weekendâ€s Polini Grand Prix of Japan marks the 700th premier class Grand Prix in the history of the World Championship. Since the first round, many changes in cylinder class, tyre regulations and even starting times have been used, some of which are documented in a milestone review of the 699 races to date.

June 1949, Race #1: Great Britain IOM TT
The first 500cc GP is won by Harold Daniell riding a factory Norton.

September 1952, Race no.27, Monza
Les Graham gives MV Agusta the first race win in the premier-class.

October 1953, Race no.36, Montjuich
Fergus Anderson (Moto Guzzi) at 44 years old is the oldest rider to win in the premier class.

June 1957, Race no.60, Great Britain IOM TT
The longest ever GP of 301.84 miles, held over 8 laps of the Mountain circuit in the Isle of Man, won by Bob McIntyre (Gilera)

August 1962, Race no.100, Sachsenring
Mike Hailwood (MV Agusta) wins the 100th race in the premier-class.

May 1966, Race no.131, Hockenheim
Jim Redman gives Honda their first ever 500cc GP victory, this also being the first 500c win by a Japanese manufacturer.

September 1969, Race no.171, Yugoslavia
Godfrey Nash riding a Norton becomes the last rider to win a 500cc GP riding a single-cylinder machine.

August 1971, Race no.191, Ulster
Jack Findlay (Suzuki) takes the first win in the premier-class riding a two-stroke machine.

June 1972, Race no.200, Dutch TT Assen
Giacomo Agostini wins the 200th race riding a MV Agusta.

May 1973, Race no.207
France Paul Ricard Jarno Saarinen (Yamaha) scores the first win in the premier-class by a four-cylinder two-stroke machine.

August 1976, Race no.247
Nurburgring Giacomo Agostini scores the last of his 68 victories which is also the last victory by MV Agusta and the last for a four-stroke 500cc machine.

July 1977, Race no.254, Belgium
The fastest ever GP race was won by Barry Sheene riding a Suzuki at an average speed of 217.37 km/hr (135.067mph).

August 1981, Race no.298, Silverstone
Jack Middleburg (Suzuki) becomes the last rider to win in the premier-class riding a true ‘privateer†machine.

August 1981, Race no.300, Sweden
Barry Sheene wins the 300th GP riding a Yamaha, this is also the last premier-class win by a British rider.

July 1982, Race no.307, Belgium
Freddie Spencer takes the first victory for the three-cylinder two-stroke Honda at the age of 20, the youngest ever winner in the premier-class.

July 1989, Race no.400, France
Eddie Lawson riding a Honda wins the 400th GP in the premier-class.

March 1994, Race no.462, Eastern Creek
John Kocinski wins riding a Cagiva, this being the last time a non-Japanese 500cc two-stroke machine won in the premier-class.

September 1996, Race no.500, Imola.
Mick Doohan (Honda) takes the victory in a race cut short due to a rain shower.

April 2002, Race no. 581, Suzuka.
Valentino Rossi (Honda) takes the first win under the new MotoGP rules allowing 990cc four-strokes to compete alongside 500cc two-stroke machines.

October 2002, Race no.593, Motegi
Loris Capirossiâ€s (Honda) 3rd place finish is the last ever podium by a two-stroke machine in the premier-class

May 2003, Race no.600, France.
Sete Gibernau (Honda) wins after a great battle with Valentino Rossi in a shortened race stopped due to rain.

June 2003, Race no.602, Catalonia
Loris Capirossi gives Ducati their first ever premier-class Grand Prix victory.

April 2004, Race no.613, South Africa
After wining the final race of 2003 at Valencia riding a Honda, Valentino Rossi wins the first race of 2004 on a Yamaha.

October 2006, Race no.662, Valencia
Riding as a replacement for the injured Sete Gibernau, Troy Bayliss (Ducati) wins the final race of the 990cc era.

March 2007, Race no.663, Qatar
Casey Stoner (Ducati) wins the first race under the revised rules limiting machines to 800cc.

March 2008, Race no.681, Qatar
For the first time ever a Grand Prix is held at night under floodlights.

September 2008, Race no.694, Indianapolis
A Grand Prix event is held at the famous Indianapolis circuit for the first time and Valentino Rossi (Yamaha) takes his 69th premier class win -making him the most successful of all-time.

April 2009, Race no.699, Qatar
In the first race since the introduction of a single-tyre rule, Casey Stoner (Ducati) wins the opening race of the season in Qatar for the third successive year.

Rossi expects Stoner speed in Motegi
Tuesday, 21 April 2009

World Champion paints rival as favourite for Japanese victory.

Reigning MotoGP World Champion Valentino Rossi is back at the scene of his 2008 title celebrations this weekend, riding at Motegi for the the first time since clinching a sixth MotoGP World Championship at the track. The Fiat Yamaha man already knows who will be one of his chief rivals in his quest for crown number seven, and expects current series leader Casey Stoner to be equally as potent as he was at the opening race of the year in Qatar.

”I expect that Stoner will be strong again, so we just need to reduce the gap to him so that we can put up more of a fight,” says Rossi, playing down his chances and portraying the Australian as the favourite for victory. “In the past Motegi hasnâ€t been a great track for me and Iâ€ve had some bad races there, but I think last year cancelled that all out so I hope it can be successful for us once again this year.”

Rossi won last yearâ€s Japanese round to put the exclamation point on his title triumph, and will be favoured to pick up from where he left off. He is experienced enough to know, however, that past form counts for little when raceday comes around.

”My memories of last year at Motegi are incredible, because it was such a special victory after two yearâ€s without the championship. This year of course will be very different, itâ€s only the second race and it will be quite strange going there so early in the championship,” he explains.

”In Qatar we had one or two small areas that could have been better, so we will be trying hard to improve our setting during the practice time so that weâ€re able to run at the front on Sunday.”

Capirossi looks to reward Suzuki with Japanese win
Tuesday, 21 April 2009

Three-time MotoGP racewinner at Motegi wants first triumph for Japanese factory.

Rizla Suzukiâ€s Loris Capirossi will be starting his 20th season of Grand Prix racing afresh this weekend in Motegi, putting an early crash in Qatar behind him as he chases his first points of the year. The return to the land of the rising sun is a favourable move for the Italian veteran, who enjoyed three consecutive wins at the track from 2005-2008.

"After what happened in Qatar, we now go to a track that I know well and have had lots of good times at. I was very disappointed at Losail but that race has gone now and we have had time to see what happened,” says a determined Capirossi, whose team have strong links with Japan.

“I hope I can have a very good result in Japan for the Suzuki guys that have put in all the hard work in the winter to give us a bike that we can now be competitive on. I have won here before and want to do it again, so I will be making sure we get everything right for race-day to give us the best possible chance of achieving that!"

If Capirossi can place on the podium on Sunday he will have rostrum finishes to show for each of the past seventeen seasons.

Confident Stoner taking nothing for granted
Tuesday, 21 April 2009

Australian refuses to rule out non-Rossi rivals in title chase.

A victory in Qatar and confidence in the setup of the Ducati Desmosedici GP9 have made for a happy Casey Stoner heading to round two in Motegi, but the former MotoGP World Champion has reiterated that he is taking nothing for granted.

Stoner has set his sights on a stronger start to his 2009 season to that made in 2008, and thus far things appear to be going according to plan. Motegi represents something of an unknown for the new ‘big red bikeâ€, however, and the Australian is assured but cautious in his approach to the Polini Grand Prix of Japan.

“We havenâ€t tested here in preseason whereas we had in Qatar, so weâ€ll see how we get on starting from zero, with less practice time available. Iâ€m fairly confident, the set-up we found in testing has worked well at different kinds of circuits so we should have a decent base setting to work from at Motegi,” states Stoner. “In any case, we wonâ€t take anything for granted - weâ€ll keep working hard together and stay focused.”

Early signs show that reigning titlist Valentino Rossi will be the key man for Stoner to beat in 2009, although there has been no ruling out of any rider yet by the Ducati Marlboro man.

“At this stage Valentino has been the hardest rival in testing and we know that Valentino will always be there, but people should always expect the unexpected,” he warns. “You donâ€t know what other riders are capable of, so we will see how the beginning of the season goes during the first few races and understand who is going to be competitive and who is not, and then focus on the toughest challenger.”

Stonerâ€s second place at last yearâ€s Japanese round was his first podium in the premier class at Twin Ring Motegi.

Messages In This Thread
Moto GP - by Gassick - 03-02-2009, 06:21pm
RE: Moto GP - by LOAFIE - 03-02-2009, 09:03pm
RE: Moto GP - by Gassick - 04-02-2009, 06:10am
RE: Moto GP - by Rev004 - 04-02-2009, 01:49pm
RE: Moto GP - by Rev004 - 04-02-2009, 02:02pm
RE: Moto GP - by tenacious - 12-02-2009, 05:22pm
RE: Moto GP - by Stuntrider666 - 13-02-2009, 05:25am
RE: Moto GP - by Gassick - 04-02-2009, 05:24pm
RE: Moto GP - by Rev004 - 04-02-2009, 05:47pm
RE: Moto GP - by Gassick - 04-02-2009, 07:52pm
RE: Moto GP - by Pommie - 05-02-2009, 08:04am