ZX14 frame problems
Hey anyone out there with a ZX14 this might be something you want to keep a close eye on Eek

http://www.zx14ninja.com/phpbb2/viewtopi...9c3c3f4480 80f504e
for fukk sake kawasaki, when are you going to stop skimping on the frame... remember the zx10's a few years ago ?? looks like daja'vu
Regards
Grant
(Townsville, QLD)

www.stickersuperstore.com.au (for your sticker and sign needs)

Smitten 03 with a hair dryer - slammed and stretched (stealth mode engaged)
Very nasty, hopefully just a one off.
[Image: zzzCustom.jpg]
"par excellence"
I was at the bike auctions the other day looking at acres of smashed up Jap bikes the majority of which had frame damage of some kind or other. Quite a few were catastrophic breakages of the steering head or rear sub frame together with large gouges in the top frame rails.
One bike in particular was interesting in that it showed no signs of accident damage that was readily noticeable. When I looked closer all I could see was a small mark on the front mudguard which then made me look at the fork staunchions, bent of course, not much but the cost of removal, repair or parts made it an insurance writeoff. The fork material must have been made of gorganzola cheese IMHO.

When you look closely at the gauge (thickness) of the frame castings
you get the distinct impression that they are all built to a recipe where weight reduction is king & nothing else matters. Every year they come out with sales shit like " 10% lighter but 20% stronger " That's great (for a racing bike even if it was true ) but in the main we are talking about your average everyday bike, the vast majority of owners of which don't use all of the so called advantages of lower weight/ better handling etc. What they really NEED is better BRAKES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe even AB fuggen S !!!!!!!!!!

I also hear that roadworthiness examiners are failing frames with any scratches/gouges or any other existing accident damage. This could make the resale of the bike worthless in the worst case scenario.

Then if you have ever been to one of the bike wreckers here in Melbournistan you can see a whole collection of broken off steering heads that failed because they are built so flimsily, even the welding has been assessed by qualified & experienced welders as technically deficient. You then don't have to wonder why your insurance premium is so high when Jap frames are so vulnerable in a crash. I'd rather ride a bike that has a more durable frame & not worry unduly about whether my bike was the latest incarnation dedicated to the god of weight loss. But that's just me & let's face it, I reckon the sales pitches aren't aimed at dudes like myself Roll
Never ride the A model of anything.
Always someone has to beat down the zx14's lol.
Why you looking at zx14 shit pan,like em?Lol3

Good point though rev..

Hmm,someone was tryin to tell me not to do
wheelies on the busa for the fear of the frame
copping cracks or some crap.
Man i dont even know where to look if it
have em,hey ,at least im honest Embarassed

Popcorn - Bring back the biff baby haha.
Popcorn symbol,bout time Yes
So im abit clueless when it comes to bikes
sue me FrownUndecided

Cars...
Il talk the talk with anyone hahha.Beer
I'll make the same comment I made when talking about the Busa frame Macbusa wanted welded.
In the pics at that link you can clearly see that the majority of the break is BESIDE the original weld, which as I said, is the weakest part of any metal once it's been welded.
The frame has started braking at it's weak point & then when it reached a section which was strong it has fractured across the main section.
If you check the stress dynamics on this frame member I'll bet that where it has broken across the member is the main torque stress line when the bike is under acceleration.
Nasty one just had bit of read you can tell which bike this person realy wants by there avatar

Thats no ZX-14
[Image: Resizeofbusa005.jpg] REGARDS ROD
MOBILE 0433 92 99 22
kangaroos1996@msn.com
BUSA-RO Wrote:Nasty one just had bit of read you can tell which bike this person realy wants by there avatar

Thats no ZX-14

Well... at least the avatar is accurate. If the shark is supposed to represent a ZX14 coming to chomp on a Hayabusa... then, as is clearly shown... it's too late... the 'busa is already out of the danger zone and leaving it behind in it's wake. A very satisfying and accurate representation.

Also, the avatar implies that a 'busa can (figuratively speaking) 'walk on water'.

So nice to get such good press in a ZX14 site. What wonderful fellows !
I think you will find if you ask around the wrecking yards busa's have a major fault where the steering head is welded to the frame,i read on another thread its something to do with temp of the alloys b4 its welded.I wonder if its a global problem?
for all the pissing and moaning about the 14's its still not good to see such a major defect in a bike getting out out by one of the big 4 bike companies. i hope that it is a one off cause kwaka owners or not i dont realy want to hear about any riders going down, especially from a manufacturing defect

NEMESIS Wrote:Cars...

yay ive got a wicked 85 mazda 323 Trophy on the freeway i've even managed to get it to almost 120!!!!!
arthur dunga Wrote:I think you will find if you ask around the wrecking yards busa's have a major fault where the steering head is welded to the frame,i read on another thread its something to do with temp of the alloys b4 its welded.I wonder if its a global problem?

The temp of the metal has EVERYTHING to do with it. That is directly related to, & part of, the explanations I gave above & also in the other thread about Macbusa's frame.
In a production facility this metal pre-weld temp would be controlled automatically, so I reckon it would be safe to say that there are quite a few frames affected.
maggot Wrote:for all the pissing and moaning about the 14's its still not good to see

yay ive got a wicked 85 mazda 323 Trophy on the freeway i've even managed to get it to almost 120!!!!!

No way haha,i got a 83 mazda 323 maggot,ive taken mine to 150 at
a track,
doesnt feel safe after that,i know why,but cant be f****d explaining,
youl buzz out how clean it is,a 1 owner car i bought with 120,000 on
the clock,its dubbed the "ss" model in the handbook,you know,the
1.5 with factory twin carbs hahah,its the run around,does the job ;)
Its my barge , didnt want the charger to be the daily driver anymore.
NEMESIS Wrote:No way haha,i got a 83 mazda 323 maggot,ive taken mine to 150 at
a track,
doesnt feel safe after that,i know why,but cant be f****d explaining,
youl buzz out how clean it is,a 1 owner car i bought with 120,000 on
the clock,its dubbed the "ss" model in the handbook,you know,the
1.5 with factory twin carbs hahah,its the run around,does the job ;)
Its my barge , didnt want the charger to be the daily driver anymore.

hehehe yeah i got this one for the ex missus. really clean one owner "delux" (fancy interior etc. i use it for the same reason, i dont want the mustang as a daily driver (not to mention the stang gets 2 km/ltr)
Hijacked
maggot Wrote:for all the pissing and moaning about the 14's its still not good to see such a major defect in a bike getting out out by one of the big 4 bike companies. i hope that it is a one off cause kwaka owners or not i dont realy want to hear about any riders going down, especially from a manufacturing defect

agreed mate. even if it is a kawasaki. no one wants to see that stuff happening