fatalities
It really pains me to hear of three riders going down this weekend. Such a tragedy and of course the families must be devasted. My thoughts to all involved.
Maybe it's just that with the density of traffic and the speed these things get up to, normal roads and fast weekend rides are just not a good mix.
I'm lashing out on the gear and I'm going to spend some money doing it on the track when the need for speed arises.
I'm not going to judge people, particularly those directly affected by the weekend's events, but carving up traffic and giving the Busa a bit of head on a public road cannot be worth paying the ultimate price for, can it?
I'm 55, and now I've got a grandson, never thought I'd be in that position. I'm hoping I'll be able to hand the keys on one day.
Take care guys, no more weekends like this eh?
I think it's appropriate to just remind everyone who only rides on the good days that the skills might be a little rusty. We should all take this terrible news to remember to slow down at least until you are familiar with the bike again.
Bear and Haya,
Very valid points.
(Unfortunately sometimes it's out of our control...eg other driver/rider, but most of the time we can make a HUGE difference to our "chances".) Cheers,
Pete
Mobile Dj, Web Design, Photography, Bullshit Artist?
Z Web World

"I don't want a pickle,
I just wanna ride my motorsickle."
Arlo Guthrie 1969
I hope its not out of place, but i'd like to know how these accidents are happening. Are other vehicles involved?

I know the accident at Reefton the guy was not a regular rider (a sunny weather rider if you like) and simply went too hard without the experience on the bike. We all know the busa is hard to slow down before the corners.

Last weekend someone ran wide and collected the other bike. Running wide is usually from lack of confidence with the bike, and less often due to crap on the road at a speed with no room for error.

What happened to Al and the Maroondah hwy rider?

Is it ego's pushing us beyond our limits? Is it the sunny weather rider syndrome?

Im asking for my own knowledge. I rather learn from others mistakes than make them myself. I wouldnt say i ride slowly, but its been years since my heart has jumped while on the bike. I like to think im always leaving room for error.

I have not posted in fatality posts before for fear of not knowing what to say, but this is shaping up to be a very bad summer. Im getting to know a hell of a lot of people on bikes and i hate to get news like this.

I feel terrible for those lost riders and the families that have lost them. Please keep our ego's at bay.

B
Very true Bee.
Stay in control guys and gals.
Tragic to hear of bikers going down like this.
Rgds BUSGO
My heart pumps and my sphincter muscle tightens nearly every time I ride .................I believe it's called adrenalin rush ...................created by a fear factor that then creates a respect factor.
This respect factor I have for something I love with a passion is what constantly reminds me of how much it can (and will) also hurt me the minute I lose that respect.
This is what I truly believe (along with destiny) has kept me alive thru these past thirty plus years of riding.
In essence guys you must respect what these hyper bikes are capable of and how quickly they can drag us mere mortal riders into a depth than can lead to disaster. No matter how experienced or how well one rides .................a simple missed downshift at the wrong time on the wrong piece of road is all it takes .....the price is very high.
Over the years I have lost many friends and it saddens me to see a weekend like we have just had, where people and fellow riders whose company I have enjoyed shall never ride with me again in this life.
Ride safe and with respect, your bike is like a dog .........mistreat it ......and have no doubt it will bite you ......HARD

FF1
When I first met Franko through the club he told me (warned me) to ride within my limits, not the bike's limits. It's a message that my mate Busgo reminds me of regularly also.

It's kept me upright so far, though as we know, and as we've witnessed recently, even if you;re riding slowly and safe, you still may end up in a bingle...

I figure I'm working with "probabilities", and I aim to reduce the probability of a tragic incident...

No amount of "I can rider quicker than you" or "I can corner faster than you" is going to make me risk losing my friends...

I just hope I ride as sensibly as I'm thinking now, even though I know that's virtually impossible to do 100% of the time.
"sometimes, crime does pay"
It's interesting to read through the responses. I don't think I'm too far off the middle road type guy, but I've done some stupid things and some deliberate things. Bungy jumping, it has fairly low risk really now days, but I did it before regulations came into play.
I've flown in a WW11 Mustang! High risk, these things do fall out of the sky! I've gone fanging down the road and nearly lost it on a corner on a bump, where I was shot over the other side. No on coming traffic! Dead lucky or just dead? I've flown a glider and a plane, I've done an Iron man triathlon (3 actually) after taking up the sport at 43. High risk?? You bet, but at that age I was in control and I knew when and if I had to stop.
I've done 200 plus on a Perth freeway. High risk? No it was the start of the freeway and no merging traffic and late at night. I've done high speeds on a road in the country on a Sunday. High risk? You bet, stupid, bloody stupid! Why? Because in life we can weigh things up and make decisions. On a Sunday, the classic Sunday driver is out there. So what if they make a f*** up? So what if they pull out in front? So what if they cross the white line on a corner, so what if the court says it's they fault.....you died! No bloody good then eh?
So I've realised at the ripe old age of 55 that if I want to do a few adrenalin rushes (like sex, it never stops!!! wooohooo) just weigh up the risks. The track is an area where there's no Sunday drivers. So you may well still die. A guy died here at Wanaroo just recently doing a supermoto race. High sided it, landed bad, died. That's a risk we all take because it's really quite low. But he didn't hit a stone wall nor a car coming out of a driveway etc. It's really a tragic but low risk. Like my daughters man. He lived and surfed all around the world for 20 years. Remember the guy that got taken last year at Margaret River by a shark? Why am I dribbling? I guess I'm trying to get others to weigh up the risks, make a judgement keep the risk low, enjoy life as long as you can, who knows, maybe the grandson will inherit your bike too and have memories of going for his first ride with Poppy instead of never knowing him!
Take care, I've said enough!
Good words Bear.

Max Madmax - GSX1300R Black and Blue Buses Rule
Good Bike, Good Woman, Good Road, Good Weather, Good God - Good Bye!
Smith and Wesson - The original point and click interface.
Yes well said.I like the quote that Colin Edwards says when interviewed in the faster disc.Interviewer,"so everytime you go out you are putting your life on the line"?Colin,"yes we do,but it is a calculated risk,you try to minimalise the risks with safety,ect,ect,but in the end there is never a sure thing in life."That about says it all really! Phuck its the phantom!
yep true guys...well said Bear Cheers,
Pete
Mobile Dj, Web Design, Photography, Bullshit Artist?
Z Web World

"I don't want a pickle,
I just wanna ride my motorsickle."
Arlo Guthrie 1969